African American men will suffer the most as automation destroys jobs once held by humans

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
An alarming new report from McKinsey & Co. called “The future of work in black America” highlights the challenges American workers will face during the next decade as automation continues to take away blue-collar jobs. But while the negative effects of automation are expected to hit all demographics, black American males are the group that will be most affected.

Automation refers to software, artificial intelligence, and robots taking over low-skilled jobs that once required a human to do. Businesses are rapidly pursuing automation advancements because of their cost-saving benefits. You don’t need to provide AI and robots with sick pay, health insurance, or overtime, after all.

There are three main reasons McKinsey & Co. found that black male Americans will be worst affected by automation:

• Black male Americans are overrepresented in high-displacement job categories. “High-displacement” jobs are the jobs most likely to be lost due to automation. Jobs in this category include office support, like secretaries and data entry personnel; food services, including fast-food workers; production workers, which include machinists and other factory workers; and retail workers.
  • Black male Americans are also underrepresented in low-displacement job categories, that is, jobs which are expected to feel the impact of automation the least. These jobs include creative jobs, health professionals, teachers, business and legal jobs, and property and agriculture jobs.
  • Black male Americans are also less concentrated in the areas of the country that are expected to experience the most economic growth over the next decade. In contrast, they are more concentrated in areas of the country that can expect the least economic growth over the next 10 years. As the report states, “African Americans are underrepresented in five out of the six projected fastest-growing geographical archetypes and are overrepresented in two of the six slower-growing archetypes.”
Black female Americans are expected to better weather the automation storm, however. That’s mainly thanks to the fact that many of the careers well represented by black women, including home health aides, nursing assistants, and personal-care aides, are expected to see more demand over the next decade.

As for how automation’s affect on black men can be mitigated, McKinsey & Co. says public- and private-sector institutions should pursue “large-scale economic-development strategies” to increase jobs and opportunities; supporting attainment of higher education for African Americans, which McKinsey & Co. says are “significantly underrepresented in the population that has a bachelor’s or graduate degree”; and enabling occupation switching and reskilling, as many of the men most likely to be affected already have the skills to work in other fields that are less likely to be impacted by automation.

African American men will suffer the most as automation destroys jobs once held by humans

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
This is a good warning that brehs need to get on the other side of automation. Software maintenance, encryption, security, engineering, software dev. jobs. It would be good to start replacing vocational work thats in the line of being lost to automation with schools specializing in software design, testing and maintenance.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
take this for what it is: a warning. it doesn't have to be an inevitability. forewarned is forearmed.

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
This is a good warning that brehs need to get on the other side of automation. Software maintenance, encryption, security, engineering, software dev. jobs. It would be good to start replacing vocational work thats in the line of being lost to automation with schools specializing in software design, testing and maintenance.

They gernerally don't hire bm for these types of jobs enmasse. Let's be realistic here.

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
Get educated in the field and start a software company. Shop the software around and hire brehs to do the maintenance.

There are MILLIONS of black men that need viable employment. A few black men attempting to pedal software and hire a few other black men is not a real solution.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Yep. And the other jobs the Hispanics are going to lock US out of because we dont speak Spain-ish.
Imagine knowing what you need to do to succeed, but fail to take the initiative to correct course. :mjlol:

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
Imagine knowing what you need to do to succeed, but fail to take the initiative to correct course. :mjlol:
Hmmm! Why should my offspring have to compete with hispanics and latinos in their own country and be excluded from access to resources. And fux a Spain-ish and a DACA.

Our DREAMS aint the same.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Hmmm! Why should my offspring have to compete with hispanics and latinos in their own country and be excluded from access to resources. And fux a Spain-ish and a DACA.

Our DREAMS aint the same.

You're not forced to develop the necessary skills required to earn a living in the modern economy.

But you thumbing your nose at doing what you know needs to be done so you or your kids can succeed isn't going to garner any sympathy from me.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
I'm confident my job could be automated away and they could reduce our team of 4 to 1. Which is why I'm trying to get out.

Also I'm surprised they didn't mention call center work, that's a fairly common job that doesn't seem like it will exist in 10-15 years, that may apply to women more than men though.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
You're not forced to develop the necessary skills required to earn a living in the modern economy.

But you thumbing your nose at doing what you know needs to be done so you or your kids can succeed isn't going to garner any sympathy from me.

So people deserve to starve to death because they cant learn PhD level of Spanish? :jbhmm: