Alabama Senate ELECTION: Jones wins!!! Daps + Reps to all

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
A former Romney advisor on CNN just said:

You had Roy Moore.....who kinda comes off like a creep....

You had Steve Bannon who kinda looks like an old creep.....with a drinking problem

They might as well have been driving around Alabama in a panel van with free candy :laff:

Last edited:

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
So another voting
Well, the Ds are up by 15 points on the latest ballot for the House according to Monmouth, so the good news is that all those shallow, light-red R districts in that picture are in danger of turning blue.

I don't think the Ds will win the Senate, but as long as Tom Perez drives nationwide GOTV like he did just for AL, the Ds are almost certainly going to take back the House. I'd rather have the Senate in order to block SCOTUS nominees, but at least the House makes Trump a lame duck in terms of policy.
what worries me about this is just how gerrymandered the house is for republicans. im sure the dems will blow out the gop in the nationwide popular vote next year

Daps
what worries me about this is just how gerrymandered the house is for republicans. im sure the dems will blow out the gop in the nationwide popular vote next year

Ah, but that's the thing about gerrymandering. It hurts the party that's relying on gerrymandering to win if the margins against them are too high.

Look at it this way: To gerrymander properly, you take your strongest districts and carve them up so that each new district still gives you an advantage, but since you've carved your district up, the advantage is smaller. For example, take a R+25 district. The GOP will carve that up into four districts that are still mostly red and give them an R+6 advantage in each one. Then, they pack all the D voters into one district. As you'll see if you look at a map, that's what you get - a bunch of +4-6 R districts and a bunch of +15/+20/+25 D districts or whatever.

The problem is when you get a wave election that goes against you. Since you diluted all your voters to put them into different districts, you're prone to getting caught out if the popular vote goes +10 or more against you. I don't know the spread of those AL districts, but I'm guessing based on the shading that AL-1. AL-3, AL-5, and AL-6 are R+5 to R+10 or so.

If the Democrats win the popular vote by +15, which is Monmouth's numbers from earlier today, they would take all of those R+5 to R+10 districts.

That's how gerrymandering works against you. If the other side runs up the score in the popular vote, they take all those +5 to +10 districts that you divided your voters into in order to have your voters across so many districts.

This is why I'm pretty sure the Rs are losing the House in 2018. The Senate is another story. That map is horrible for Ds. Rs are probably fukked pretty hard as far as the House goes in 2018, though. If it's a D+10 year or better, Democrats will get the 25 or so seats they need to flip it.

I assume that we'll get a D+10 year or better for a number of reasons. First, history shows that POTUS's party pretty much always loses seats in the midterm elections. Second, Trump is deeply unpopular. Third, there are all sorts of harbingers of trouble for Rs. They got run out of the state in VA even worse than people thought that they would, they lost this seat in AL, and they've been losing local elections across the country, including in backwards places like OK. Tom Perez also seems to understand the concept of actually contesting every seat and spending money on a ground game. Why Hillary failed to do this in 2016 after she got her ass whipped out of seemingly nowhere by Obama's ground game in 2008, I do not know, but Tom Perez seems to be righting that wrong so far.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
Ah, but that's the thing about gerrymandering. It hurts the party that's relying on gerrymandering to win if the margins against them are too high.

Look at it this way: To gerrymander properly, you take your strongest districts and carve them up so that each new district still gives you an advantage, but since you've carved your district up, the advantage is smaller. For example, take a R+25 district. The GOP will carve that up into four districts that are still mostly red and give them an R+6 advantage in each one. Then, they pack all the D voters into one district. As you'll see if you look at a map, that's what you get - a bunch of +4-6 R districts and a bunch of +15/+20/+25 D districts or whatever.

The problem is when you get a wave election that goes against you. Since you diluted all your voters to put them into different districts, you're prone to getting caught out if the popular vote goes +10 or more against you. I don't know the spread of those AL districts, but I'm guessing based on the shading that AL-1. AL-3, AL-5, and AL-6 are R+5 to R+10 or so.

If the Democrats win the popular vote by +15, which is Monmouth's numbers from earlier today, they would take all of those R+5 to R+10 districts.

That's how gerrymandering works against you. If the other side runs up the score in the popular vote, they take all those +5 to +10 districts that you divided your voters into in order to have your voters across so many districts.

This is why I'm pretty sure the Rs are losing the House in 2018. The Senate is another story. That map is horrible for Ds. Rs are probably fukked pretty hard as far as the House goes in 2018, though. If it's a D+10 year or better, Democrats will get the 25 or so seats they need to flip it.

I assume that we'll get a D+10 year or better for a number of reasons. First, history shows that POTUS's party pretty much always loses seats in the midterm elections. Second, Trump is deeply unpopular. Third, there are all sorts of harbingers of trouble for Rs. They got run out of the state in VA even worse than people thought that they would, they lost this seat in AL, and they've been losing local elections across the country, including in backwards places like OK. Tom Perez also seems to understand the concept of actually contesting every seat and spending money on a ground game. Why Hillary failed to do this in 2016 after she got her ass whipped out of seemingly nowhere by Obama's ground game in 2008, I do not know, but Tom Perez seems to be righting that wrong so far.
Yep.

Gerrymandering should be illegal in my eyes and I'm glad to see it dismantled but like you said the flip side is that it relies on a certain percentage of active voters. If you overperform in turnout, it can blast through the gerrymandering. But the point is, it shouldn't take herculean effort to make sure you have a representative government.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
How close are we to a constitutional convention still though? That's the shyt that keeps me up at night.

Under the Constitution, if two-thirds of state legislatures call for a convention to amend it, one must be convened. Some of those pushing for a convention say that 24 of the needed 34 legislatures have approved such resolutions. Advocates of a convention have targeted more than a dozen other states and are developing lobbying campaigns to push for such resolutions there.
A constitutional convention could be the single most dangerous way to ‘fix’ American government

On one side, ALEC and its allies seek to persuade 34 states to pass resolutions to call the meeting, as well as parallel legislation that outlines the rules and structure of the convention. After the convention delegates meet, 38 states would still need to ratify any amendment that the attendees produce at the convention.

For bills to count toward the necessary 34 applications, though, they must seek the same amendment to discuss at the convention. So far, a balanced budget amendment is the closest to that requirement.
Why Some Liberals and Conservatives Are Teaming Up to Rewrite the Constitution