Alabama Senate ELECTION: Jones wins!!! Daps + Reps to all

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Black women are trending on Twitter over this..while white women are getting bashed.
They're not getting bashed enough tbh. I keep hearing more about that 7% BM that didnt vote for DJ.

The focus should really be on that stronghold of 65% almost 70% of WW voting for a dude "accused" of being a sexual predatory by multiple women. This needs to be drilled endlessly in the news cycle like wtf is going in their head :dwillhuh:

Last edited:

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
:dwillhuh: The biggest shift is auburn :wow: @MMS @Rigby. @Chrishaune
9aocv7.jpg

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
They're not getting bashed enough tbh. I keep hearing more about that 7% BM that didnt vote for DJ.

The focus should really be on that stronghold of 65% almost 70% of WW voting for a dude "accused" of being a sexual predatory by multiple women. This needs to be drilled endlessly in the news cycle like wtf is going in there head :dwillhuh:
:jbhmm:"Hmm... I'm white, so I don't believe I'm ever wrong. But I'm a woman too, so even if I knew I was wrong, I wouldn't admit it."

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Of all the posts I've put in this thread, this right here may be top 3.

If you don't read/save/share any other tweet I've put in this thread, please do so for this one:

so basically the rural areas which are mainly conservative are over-represented, meanwhile areas with a bolstering population(big cities) only have one rep(unrepresented). And that's just because they couldn't effectively gerrymander that area....

Off this pic alone, Gerrymandering in Alabama should be in the supreme court

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
so basically the rural areas which are mainly conservative are over-represented, meanwhile areas with a bolstering population(big cities) only have one rep(unrepresented). And that's just because they couldn't effectively gerrymander that area....

Districts 1, 3, 5, and 6 all were within 1% of flipping yet all manage to be fed districts. Not a coincidence. How is this shyt constitutional in the first place?

Daps
Well, the Ds are up by 15 points on the latest ballot for the House according to Monmouth, so the good news is that all those shallow, light-red R districts in that picture are in danger of turning blue.

I don't think the Ds will win the Senate, but as long as Tom Perez drives nationwide GOTV like he did just for AL, the Ds are almost certainly going to take back the House. I'd rather have the Senate in order to block SCOTUS nominees, but at least the House makes Trump a lame duck in terms of policy.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you know whats funny? trump, or whoever was in his ear, was right about luther strange :dead:

if these rednecks had nominated strange he would have actually won

But Trump gave Strange a tepid endorsement once he realized the redneck vote was going for Moore. He was damn near dissing the guy at his own rally.

Trump is an opportunist who gives zero loyalty to anyone.

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Well, the Ds are up by 15 points on the latest ballot for the House according to Monmouth, so the good news is that all those shallow, light-red R districts in that picture are in danger of turning blue.

I don't think the Ds will win the Senate, but as long as Tom Perez drives nationwide GOTV like he did just for AL, the Ds are almost certainly going to take back the House. I'd rather have the Senate in order to block SCOTUS nominees, but at least the House makes Trump a lame duck in terms of policy.
There’s a contingency plan being made for Jon McCain’s seat.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
Man, shut the fukk up with this bullshyt. Turnout was down across the nation for the Ds, which was combined with a higher participation rate in rural areas.

She was right at the front of the "don't trust Hillary" brigade, so you can take this historically revisionist bullshyt you're pitching here for the one thousandth time and shove it.
You cannot make these dudes see the light. There was so much foolishness. But it's all coming to light.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI

Districts 1, 3, 5, and 6 all were within 1% of flipping yet all manage to be fed districts. Not a coincidence. How is this shyt constitutional in the first place?

The 7th District is in fact home to nearly one-third of the state's entire black population. Having so many black voters in the 7th District means there are fewer black voters everywhere else.

alabama2-02.png

There's no such skew in the distribution of white voters across the state's districts: White voters are distributed evenly pretty much everywhere, with the exception of the 7th District.

This is no accident: The state's Republican lawmakers drew the district boundaries following the 2010 Census, as required by the Constitution. Let's take a look at those district boundaries, overlaid on a map of the black population at the Census block group level. Pay particular attention to the borders of the 7th District.

alabama2-01.png

The 7th District encompasses most of the western portion of Alabama's “black belt,” a region of the state with a historically large black population. But it also has a number of conspicuous appendages that poke into neighboring areas: One snakes down into the 1st District, picking up a large chunk of the black population around Monroeville. Another extends into the predominantly African American neighborhoods in west Montgomery.

Most striking is the narrow arm that runs through Tuscaloosa straight through the heart of Birmingham, picking up many of the majority-black neighborhoods in those cities along the way. The net effect is to remove a large number of black voters that might otherwise have been part of the 4th and 6th Districts.

The population of black voters in the eastern portion of the state, meanwhile, is split neatly in two by the border between the 2nd and 3rd Districts.

All told, the district boundaries ensure that while black voters have a sizable majority in district 7, their power is diluted everywhere else in the state. There's a word for this: gerrymandering. It refers to the process of drawing district boundaries in a way that makes it easier for you to win elections.

Earlier this year a federal court ruled Alabama Republicans had improperly gerrymandered districts for the state legislature, packing black voters into a small number of districts to dilute their power elsewhere.

The legislative boundaries for Alabama's U.S. House districts weren't part of that lawsuit, but the lopsidedness of the distribution of black voters across those districts is strikingly similar.

Part of this may be due to the Voting Rights Act, which makes the drawing of districts in this fashion permissible and even required in many cases. To ensure minority voters had at least some representation in Congress, the act required the creation of some majority-minority districts.

But as Wonkblog detailed earlier this year, “majority-minority districts, by concentrating the minority vote in certain districts, have the unintended consequence of diluting their influence elsewhere.” In recent years Republicans in a number of states have taken advantage of this, drawing favorable electoral maps in the ostensible interest of minority representation.

The Supreme Court has shown renewed interest in gerrymandering cases this term, taking up lawsuits against Democrat-drawn districts in Maryland and Republican-drawn districts in Wisconsin. The outcome of those cases could severely limit the ability of lawmakers to gerrymander their way into power.

Regardless, experts who study gerrymandering say it will continue to be a problem as long as partisan lawmakers are able to draw their own districts, rather than letting independent commissions (or even computer programs) do the work.

Analysis | How Doug Jones lost in nearly every congressional district but still won the state

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
The 7th District is in fact home to nearly one-third of the state's entire black population. Having so many black voters in the 7th District means there are fewer black voters everywhere else.

alabama2-02.png

There's no such skew in the distribution of white voters across the state's districts: White voters are distributed evenly pretty much everywhere, with the exception of the 7th District.

This is no accident: The state's Republican lawmakers drew the district boundaries following the 2010 Census, as required by the Constitution. Let's take a look at those district boundaries, overlaid on a map of the black population at the Census block group level. Pay particular attention to the borders of the 7th District.

alabama2-01.png
I mean you can look at this and see that there's a problem.

The biggest problem is 6.....
Then 4/5 & 2/3 are equally just as problematic.....
Brehs in AL, need to use this opportunity and momentum to try and push for change.....