American reading & math scores collapse due to COVID

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
The 2022 NAEP long-term measurements of performance from 2020 to 2022 are jarring. It will take years to recover and the negative effects on skills, earnings, and GDP are probably baked in for a lot of kids, disproportionately those in our community

In 2022, the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) conducted a special administration of the NAEP long-term trend (LTT) reading and mathematics assessments for age 9 students to examine student achievement during the COVID-19 pandemic. Average scores for age 9 students in 2022 declined 5 points in reading and 7 points in mathematics compared to 2020. This is the largest average score decline in reading since 1990, and the first ever score decline in mathematics.

Greater score decreases for lower-performing students​

NAEP reports scores at five selected percentiles to show the progress made by lower- (10th and 25th percentiles), middle- (50th percentile), and higher- (75th and 90th percentiles) performing students. In 2022, reading and mathematics scores for students at all five selected percentile levels declined compared to 2020. In both subjects, scores for lower-performing age 9 students declined more than scores for higher-performing students compared to 2020.

There were also fewer declines at the higher performance level (at the 75th percentile) in reading than in mathematics across selected student groups. For example, when looking at the racial/ethnic groups, while scores declined for White, Black, and Hispanic students at the 75th percentile in mathematics compared to 2020, there were no significant score changes across the reported racial/ethnic student groups at this performance level in reading.

Last edited:

LadyJ2

Superstar
Daps
We got our 5th grader a tutor during COVID who worked with her virtually at first then he saw her twice a week in person once he was vaccinated.

I thank God my husband had the foresight to say we needed to do it as soon as schools shut down because he was worried she would fall behind. If we hadn’t done that she would be much worse off right now.

A lot of folks spent that stimulus money on trips, clothes, etc. when they should have put it into making up for learning loss. Now their child is one or two grade levels behind and may not ever catch up.

Never depend on the educational system to close learning gaps they cannot do it, the system is not built for that. You gotta go outside and the longer you wait the more your kid will fall behind.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
We got our 5th grader a tutor during COVID who worked with her virtually at first then he saw her twice a week in person once he was vaccinated.

I thank God my husband had the foresight to say we needed to do it as soon as schools shut down because he was worried she would fall behind. If we hadn’t done that she would be much worse off right now.

A lot of folks spent that stimulus money on trips, clothes, etc. when they should have put it into making up for learning loss. Now their child is one or two grade levels behind and may not ever catch up.

Never depend on the educational system to close learning gaps they cannot do it, the system is not built for that. You gotta go outside and the longer you wait the more your kid will fall behind.

We were lucky my mom, a former teacher, was available and we quarantined together. I agree, for parents who couldn't or wouldn't stay on their kids' education like hawks it is a disaster.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

You were very smart to do that. It's also crazy how important time frames are at that age. Development goes so fast for young kids. A single digit aged kid losing a year of their education is very different than a teenager missing a year of high school (which is still awful, but not as bad developmentally).

You're right. The system isn't built for that. And I just read a lot of kids in Philly (I think?) missed a ton of school days this spring because the air conditioning in the city couldn't keep up with the heat wave.