Andre Ward Retires #MissionAccomplished

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i can dig this and what @GzUp was getting at..in my initial post based off my own expectations of ward he overachieved what i thought he would be..he got my props for that..but yes i think certain fights he did take and he didnt take shape a different perception for different people...one fight that i felt he should have taken for sure was unifying with a then underfeated bute after super 6..the shyt was lined up for it to happen..that would have looked lovely..it was a sellable fight..i did not like seeing froch be the one to take butes's zero

Here's the interesting thing about Ward/Bute. Based on what we know NOW (and what I believed then), Ward probably beats Bute comfortably. I'm talking a 10 rounds to 2 type of fight. However, it just seemed like his team did not like that fight at all. Every fighter/team (yes even great fighters) have that fight where it's like "we don't like that fight."

So I remember thinking at the time, "okay, what is it about Bute they don't like?" Because the reality of it is, it's not like you needed footage on Bute to wait for someone to expose him, so you can exploit it. He damn near almost lost to Andrade.

It was definitely an opponent he needed, as he was the only one remaining he could make good money with.

He sort of dismisses Stevenson the same way he did Bute, although I think Stevenson is much better. Ironically, they are both southpaws.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Chickenson about to run into Jack at some point.

I dunno bruh, say what you want about Stevenson, he's got that eraser. He can beat Jack. Jack's already shown that his chin isn't that great

Plus he's half-white.

Exactly. Which makes it even more perplexing that they hate the guy the way that they do.

Vlad goes in before Roman imo.

Yeah, he does. Champion for a decade and longest reign since Joe Louis?

Yeah, he's a first ballot

I still think ending it on a Stevenson fight would have been PERFECT, which would have made him undisputed.

Stevenson's 40 & holding that belt hostage. He ducked KKKovalev for years and would probably duck Ward too. Dude's a disgrace

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Damn.

Imagine Roy Jones decided to just call it quits sometime this year as well. :wow: (just being hopeful)

The one thing about though is, it's very likely at least two of these cats retiring this year will fight again in the next couple.
If Roy Jones doesn't retire:mindblown:
You've done enough for the sport man just walk away :mjcry:

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dunno bruh, say what you want about Stevenson, he's got that eraser. He can beat Jack. Jack's already shown that his chin isn't that great

Exactly. Which makes it even more perplexing that they hate the guy the way that they do.

Yeah, he does. Champion for a decade and longest reign since Joe Louis?

Yeah, he's a first ballot

Stevenson's 40 & holding that belt hostage. He ducked KKKovalev for years and would probably duck Ward too. Dude's a disgrace

Although Ward is technically mixed, he looks and carries himself like a black man. I have several people that are mixed in my family and just to keep it simple, they are black. It is what it is.

As for Adonis, I don't think he ducked Kovalev at all, but I'm not going to debate that, as this thread is about Ward.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
I worry about Roy, especially knowing what we do about CTE now.

He's probably my favorite announcer in boxing.
Its just sad to watch at the point. He's an ATG that was past it for damn near a decade now. :mjcry:
I hope he looks at ward and others who said their body can't take no more and calls it in :francis:

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
People are going to hate on this comment, but I get it.

I do feel it was underwhelming due to years of promotional issues, that shoulder injury, & numerous tuneups fighting guys that someone of his caliber shouldn't even be in the ring with.

His best years were on Showtime. The Super Six was suppose to be a stepping stone to bigger things, but the reality of it is after he won and beat Dawson, he was damn near a Semi Retired fighter anyway.

But if you look at it from the OVERALL standpoint from the GOLD MEDAL, Linear SMW Champ, and coming up to win the majority of the titles, it's still a great career.

I still think ending it on a Stevenson fight would have been PERFECT, which would have made him undisputed.
He barely fought, I can’t put him up there with the Roy Jones, Floyd, wlad, Chavez greats.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
A parry/counter like that is usually done with the lead hand...nikka did it with the back hand. :leon:

I can't off top think of somebody parrying/countering with their back hand like that...

Although i'm sure @Yuzo gonna hop out the cut any moment now with about 10 examples.
Z4NpxBW.gif

lKpLkPn.gif