Andre Ward Retires #MissionAccomplished

mag357

Superstar
Daps
He didn't have the flashy defense of Floyd where dude would get swamped while not even getting touched.

He didn't have the flashy offense of Manny or GGG.

Dude for a casual is boring as fukk.

I personally don't find him boring...probably one of the most skilled and balanced boxers of all time...but I wanted to get someone into boxing...wouldn't show them a Ward fight:yeshrug:
This is really all im saying... But i respect ward. and he might even beat a much more talented fighter because ward really is a fighter... I just think the truely special guys come around every so often. and he wasn't 1 of those guys

mag357

Superstar
Daps
A parry/counter like that is usually done with the lead hand...nikka did it with the back hand. :leon:

I can't off top think of somebody parrying/countering with their back hand like that...

Although i'm sure @Yuzo gonna hop out the cut any moment now with about 10 examples.
It is definitely 1 if the sweetest things that ur gonna see in the ring... but not really uncommon

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
this hall of fame class though:wow:
i think they only take 3
floyd vlad and ward getting in

mosley cotto gon have to wait:hubie:
Hopefully that could be a key year in revamping the HOF process to a % of votes, rather than limit the number getting in.

Floyd, Wlad, Ward, Cotto, Mosley, and Chocolatito (assuming they all stay retired) all up and only three get in...not good for boxing IMO because they deserve their props as 1st ballot.

That said, having a group that strong, splitting it up gives each their own individual shine a bit more.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Disappointing career.
I am on the fukk Ward shyt sometimes because he is a natural enemy of #GGGoodBoys, but I hope you are being sarcastic. Dude is a legend and deserves his props.

From a personal standpoint I wanted him to continue fighting so he could show that Stevenson is nothing more than an elite athlete with a big left hand, yet limited boxing skills and doesn't deserve to hold the lineal LHW title as long as he has.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Hopefully that could be a key year in revamping the HOF process to a % of votes, rather than limit the number getting in.

Floyd, Wlad, Ward, Cotto, Mosley, and Chocolatito (assuming they all stay retired) all up and only three get in...not good for boxing IMO because they deserve their props as 1st ballot.

That said, having a group that strong, splitting it up gives each their own individual shine a bit more.
As much as it hurts me to say it's a shame if Cotto Mosley and Vlad have to wait to get in. Cause I feel Floyd Ward and Roman are locks to be first ballot Hall of Famers.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Don't forget Juan Manual Marquez retired too? So that's another potential snub right there.
Damn.

Imagine Roy Jones decided to just call it quits sometime this year as well. :wow: (just being hopeful)

The one thing about though is, it's very likely at least two of these cats retiring this year will fight again in the next couple.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Disappointing career.

People are going to hate on this comment, but I get it.

I do feel it was underwhelming due to years of promotional issues, that shoulder injury, & numerous tuneups fighting guys that someone of his caliber shouldn't even be in the ring with.

His best years were on Showtime. The Super Six was suppose to be a stepping stone to bigger things, but the reality of it is after he won and beat Dawson, he was damn near a Semi Retired fighter anyway.

But if you look at it from the OVERALL standpoint from the GOLD MEDAL, Linear SMW Champ, and coming up to win the majority of the titles, it's still a great career.

I still think ending it on a Stevenson fight would have been PERFECT, which would have made him undisputed.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Damn.

Imagine Roy Jones decided to just call it quits sometime this year as well. :wow: (just being hopeful)

The one thing about though is, it's very likely at least two of these cats retiring this year will fight again in the next couple.
U right about that last part though I think Floyd Shane Vlad Marquez and Cotto are definitely done after this year though you can never say never when it comes to boxing.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
People are going to hate on this comment, but I get it.

I do feel it was underwhelming due to years of promotional issues, that shoulder injury, & numerous tuneups fighting guys that someone of his caliber shouldn't even be in the ring with.

His best years were on Showtime. The Super Six was suppose to be a stepping stone to bigger things, but the reality of it is after he won and beat Dawson, he was damn near a Semi Retired fighter anyway.

But if you look at it from the OVERALL standpoint from the GOLD MEDAL, Linear SMW Champ, and coming up to win the majority of the titles, it's still a great career.

I still think ending it on a Stevenson fight would have been PERFECT, which would have made him undisputed.

i can dig this and what @GzUp was getting at..in my initial post based off my own expectations of ward he overachieved what i thought he would be..he got my props for that..but yes i think certain fights he did take and he didnt take shape a different perception for different people...one fight that i felt he should have taken for sure was unifying with a then underfeated bute after super 6..the shyt was lined up for it to happen..that would have looked lovely..it was a sellable fight..i did not like seeing froch be the one to take butes's zero