Any Cyber Security Professionals On The Coli

Gunshi

Reboot Coming…
Daps
Reppin
New Jersey
I'm looking to make that leap from desktop support/analsyt/tech position and i wanted to know from someone who works in cyber security what it will take for someone with a background like mine to make it into this field.

Degree?
Programming? or knowledge of, and whats the best program to learn for this positon
Certification?
Experience? How can i gain experience on my own
Networking? How important is knowledge of networking pertaining to cyber security?

Please provide as much info as possible, i''m all ears.

what online self study learning do you recommend. My current employer gives me free access to all the courses on udemy, checked out few already and took some basic test and im pretty sure with experience i can be a cyber security tech.

Gunshi

Reboot Coming…
Daps
Reppin
New Jersey
Background like you? You mean someone that designs tranny dating websites? Because that's your background. You should probably be more clear on that :francis:
That tranny site put 100k in my pocket, all profit....:francis:

Get into a Security Operations Center, even as an L1 tech, you can gain valuable experience doing data loss prevention and firewall provisioning. Which helps as you move deeper to more OS and Infrastructure based security.

Whats your IT background?

Desktop support background with knowledge of networking. I've been taking alot of assessment exams online regarding this field and i do quiet well. I'm definitely gonna learn python or java.

what certs should i pursue? I don't think i will take the college route, going to see if i can offer myself as an intern somewhere and get some working experience. Good look on the response. ignore the clowns. Basement dwellers.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Desktop support background with knowledge of networking. I've been taking alot of assessment exams online regarding this field and i do quiet well. I'm definitely gonna learn python or java.

what certs should i pursue? I don't think i will take the college route, going to see if i can offer myself as an intern somewhere and get some working experience. Good look on the response. ignore the clowns. Basement dwellers.

Desktop support is good because it will give you knowledge of OS systems and potential bugs or even vulnerabilities you may see in your suppor workload.

Security + is good starting out, especially if your college degree is tailored explicitly towards Cybersecurity.

I would apply for an L1 type Infosec position and just build your resume.

Experience is a premium in this industry.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
You'll need a degree in computer science

Or you can have a security clearance and extensive experience in networking

Or you can have experience thru GitHub, working with open source projects

Cyber security isn't something you just jump into

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell

Just started but learn email payloads, user agents etc, etc...

If your starting off your not penetrating anything so nmap, snort and other stuff comes down the line.

Certifications start with GSEC, I brought up S+ and my coworkers laughed at me:ufdup:

GSEC, Ethical Hacker and CISSP most likely.

My job is trying to get us some training and I'm looking forward to that.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
You'll need a degree in computer science

Or you can have a security clearance and extensive experience in networking

Or you can have experience thru GitHub, working with open source projects

Cyber security isn't something you just jump into

Not really, alot of entry level cyber security jobs out there will hire you with a few certifications...

But really pay low at first...