Reboot Coming…
Daps
Reppin
New Jersey
You'll need a degree in computer science

Or you can have a security clearance and extensive experience in networking

Or you can have experience thru GitHub, working with open source projects

Cyber security isn't something you just jump into

True, and believe me im willing to put in the work. Ive identified plenty of exploits n vulnerability in popular sites in the past, wrote a plan of attack and hired a coder to code bots and gave him the instruction on how to prevent red flags from firing, like, send "msg" then wait x amount of secs before sending another to prevent spamming, so with that said i think i have a pretty good start.

To keep it real with yall i'm probably the 1st person to have a bot written for wshh and thats why its so overrun now and this was years ago and i was making atleast $300+ daily of exploits, ive exploited plenty of popular sites, even thisis50...they know, i found an exploit on thisis50 or better yet the "ning" platform and all the sites that spawn from it that allowed me to inject my music on any users page into the music module. But check this, i also found an exploit that allowed me to embed a .swf file into the thisis50 page comment section, anyone who visited the page had a specific text or script auto copied to their clipboard so if they went and paste without checking it would post my song all over thisis50... Ive exploited black planet admirer feature, the admire feature would allow you to admire users on blackplanet and they would see who admire them then if you looked good they would visit your page and boom, fell into the trap of my landing page...ive also gained access to blackplanets password protected chatrooms using a memory scanner and it gave me the pw in plaintext of any pw protected chat.... Ive done some stuff...lot more than im saying right now. add joebudden.com to my list.

Don't know programming but i will do my best to learn, will try both python and java and see which one comes easy to me. I will also take my security + exam along with crafting my resume in a way to reflect a security background and to be honest...I do have a security background, from the encryption i place on hdd, to the security access network wise, malware removal & prevention, phishing on mypsace and other sites, virus detection and removal....so yeah, i would say i have a security background, just have to create a second resume that highlights these skills.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I'm looking to make that leap from desktop support/analsyt/tech position and i wanted to know from someone who works in cyber security what it will take for someone with a background like mine to make it into this field.

Degree?
Programming? or knowledge of, and whats the best program to learn for this positon
Certification?
Experience? How can i gain experience on my own
Networking? How important is knowledge of networking pertaining to cyber security?

Please provide as much info as possible, i''m all ears.

what online self study learning do you recommend. My current employer gives me free access to all the courses on udemy, checked out few already and took some basic test and im pretty sure with experience i can be a cyber security tech.

If you're black it may be difficult, just depends. I say the easiest way is to get familiar some of the IT mangers and apply to a entry level networking position within the company that you work for.
better yet you may need to try and find a way out of Tier 2 and Tier 3 to a system Administrator first.

For me I don't give a fukk any more, My plans is to stay in tier 2 and tier 3 and do business on the side:francis: 60k 70k 80k really isn't shyt when they take out taxes and insurance .. I still say it more easier if you know some or you move up within the company

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
True, and believe me im willing to put in the work. Ive identified plenty of exploits n vulnerability in popular sites in the past, wrote a plan of attack and hired a coder to code bots and gave him the instruction on how to prevent red flags from firing, like, send "msg" then wait x amount of secs before sending another to prevent spamming, so with that said i think i have a pretty good start.

To keep it real with yall i'm probably the 1st person to have a bot written for wshh and thats why its so overrun now and this was years ago and i was making atleast $300+ daily of exploits, ive exploited plenty of popular sites, even thisis50...they know, i found an exploit on thisis50 or better yet the "ning" platform and all the sites that spawn from it that allowed me to inject my music on any users page into the music module. But check this, i also found an exploit that allowed me to embed a .swf file into the thisis50 page comment section, anyone who visited the page had a specific text or script auto copied to their clipboard so if they went and paste without checking it would post my song all over thisis50... Ive exploited black planet admirer feature, the admire feature would allow you to admire users on blackplanet and they would see who admire them then if you looked good they would visit your page and boom, fell into the trap of my landing page...ive also gained access to blackplanets password protected chatrooms using a memory scanner and it gave me the pw in plaintext of any pw protected chat.... Ive done some stuff...lot more than im saying right now. add joebudden.com to my list.

Don't know programming but i will do my best to learn, will try both python and java and see which one comes easy to me. I will also take my security + exam along with crafting my resume in a way to reflect a security background and to be honest...I do have a security background, from the encryption i place on hdd, to the security access network wise, malware removal & prevention, phishing on mypsace and other sites, virus detection and removal....so yeah, i would say i have a security background, just have to create a second resume that highlights these skills.

If you did all that..just get the OSSP cert

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
good look, all the answers given has helped me to better understand where i want to be or pursue infosec wise...hopefully any other professionals or experts can drop some knowledge.

My cousin tryna put me on with IT auditing...he was former military though...he works mostly with goverment

All he does is tell penetration testers and offensve security what to do to test the security of orgs...

IT Auditing and shyt of that sort...might be a little bit easier than being the guy doing the testing...:hubie:

Gunshi

Reboot Coming…
Daps
Reppin
New Jersey
My cousin tryna put me on with IT auditing...he was former military though...he works mostly with goverment

All he does is tell penetration testers and offensve security what to do to test the security of orgs...

IT Auditing and shyt of that sort...might be a little bit easier than being the guy doing the testing...:hubie:

i hear ya but i think for the most part the testers love the challenge and are happy with what they are doing, its not like most jobs that dont come with any real challenges, just the same ole basic day to day operation which causes alot of pros to lose interest real quick. So yeah, if you have a foot in or connect definitely keep in touch and learn as much as possible from him.

King Khufu

CARTEL MAFIA GANG
Daps
Reppin
At Ur Mama's Bando
:yeshrug: Or you can just have anti-virus protect, don't open spam or give information away and monitor your network for suspicious devices. Don't click on wonky web links either. .

Lol all internet is exploits. See origins of the internet as aarpanet telecom services.
But safe advice (not enough to keep any serious attacks though.)

As you said with TCP/IP
Signal in, Signal Out.
I'm not a grey hatter but to me its that simple and that much more reason a true sense of internet security can't exist till they create a better and more securer connection than wifi or DSL.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps

If this is true you don't need formal training just find a way to put this on your resume and bring it up in the interview