Anybody got classic oldies?

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
U should add the 40's and 50's to that list.

Charles Brown
Ruth Brown
Louis Jordan
Clyde Mcphatter
Joe Liggins
Billy Eckstein
Chick Webb
Ink Spots
Nat King Cole
Julia Lee
Bull Moose Jackson
Lionel Hampton

Just a few names you can Youtube. 40's was still a bluesy era...the 50's is when the music started to get more "mainstream."

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps
U should add the 40's and 50's to that list.

Charles Brown
Ruth Brown
Louis Jordan
Clyde Mcphatter
Joe Liggins
Billy Eckstein
Chick Webb
Ink Spots
Nat King Cole
Julia Lee
Bull Moose Jackson
Lionel Hampton

Just a few names you can Youtube. 40's was still a bluesy era...the 50's is when the music started to get more "mainstream."

I was gonna listen to that era after because I've never really heard 40s an 50s

I already like a lot of music from the 60s-80s but I don't have a lot of it downloaded

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was gonna listen to that era after because I've never really heard 40s an 50s

I already like a lot of music from the 60s-80s but I don't have a lot of it downloaded

I got into that 40's shyt after reading Iceberg Slim. Every song he name dropped I went to Youtube and I did the "Youtube to Mp3" thing.

I would smoke weed and zone out to those songs and picture what the vibe was like in the 40's.

I then went to Wiki and peeped all the #1 R&B songs and Youtube to MP3'd every song.

List of Billboard number-one R&B singles of the 1940s - Wikipedia

Thats when I discovered Louis Jordon...This guy was the "Drake" of the 40's. He did that song "Beans N Cornbread" which was in the Malcom X movie. It was also #1 for 1 week

If u notice there are 2 songs that went 18 weeks at #1.

"Choo Choo Ch'Boogie" by Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five

and

"The Honeydripper" (Parts 1 & 2) Joe Liggins and His Honeydripper

Now this song Honeydrippers. I love this song. I used to smoke weed and just zone out and picture what it was like in 1945

Joe Liggins did a whole story about the songs origin and it really is eye opening hearing how Black music was consumed in the 40's. If u ever got time....watch this video and then zone out to the song. And try to visualize why this song was so popular in the Black community 1945.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's all I listen to. I can screenshot my playlists for you to download but I ain't got no links for download if that's what you're looking for.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I got into that 40's shyt after reading Iceberg Slim. Every song he name dropped I went to Youtube and I did the "Youtube to Mp3" thing.

I would smoke weed and zone out to those songs and picture what the vibe was like in the 40's.

Joe Liggins did a whole story about the songs origin and it really is eye opening hearing how Black music was consumed in the 40's. If u ever got time....watch this video and then zone out to the song. And try to visualize why this song was so popular in the Black community 1945.

yeah, there is a lot of heat from that bluesy/jazzy/R&B from that pre- Rock and Roll (official branding) and Soul music, era. This is the stuff my grandparents listened to

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
yeah, there is a lot of heat from that bluesy/jazzy/R&B from that pre- Rock and Roll (official branding) and Soul music, era. This is the stuff my grandparents listened to

No bullshyt...I been listening to that new breed popcorn video u posted for the past 10 minutes. I'm gonna rip it. Good looking.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
yeah, those popcorn comps are loaded with obscure songs you hear often in tv commercials

Thats why I told ol boy to go to Wiki and just download the #1s of the 40's and 50's. I never even heard of Brook Benton till I did that because he had a few #1s in the early 60's. There's a shyt load of Black musicians I never heard of till I did the wiki thing. I never heard of Ruth Brown but when I saw she had a few #1s I had to do the background research on her and came to the conclusion she was the "Alicia Keys" of the 50's. Julia Lee was the "Nicki Minaj" of the 40's. The Ink Spots were the 'Jodeci' of the 40's...The Mills Brothers were the "Boyz II Men" of the 40's. The Orioles were the 'Dru Hill' of the 40's/50's. The Ravens were the 'H Town' of the 40's. Clyde McPhatter was the 'Ginuwine' of the 50's. Johnny Ace was the "Keith Sweat" of the 50's.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
also for early R&B from like the 50's check out (some guitar action)

and (where elvis got his vocal style from)