Are The Game Awards the new E3?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Feel like with E3 being dead and the other showcases Around that time being kind of lackluster the summer gaming season kind of lost its luster. I feel like there’s more hype with bigger announcements going into the game awards. It also still has that level of cheese and cringe moments to make me feel young again.

I think Geoff deserves a lot of credit for seeing the way the wind was blowing on streaming blowing up and creating something in what would usually be a dead period for big game news and creating a big event out of it. I think the game awards gets more viewership than all the summer showcases combined now.

We may see a new monster hunter revealed, new Fromsoft games, new capcom, GTA, etc. look at how much discussion spurred from the GOTY announcements, they got Larry’s in a frenzy talking about xbox tax lmao

CrashGameAwards2018.jpg

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Yes, I'd say so. It's the event with the hype, with the press, with the popoffs. Amazing how it went from a joke to what it is now.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Not when the Summer Game Fest exists at around the same time E3 did. Companies are still holding events to announce stuff at that time. The Game Awards is its own thing as it was when Spike TV was holding game award events.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Not when the Summer Game Fest exists at around the same time E3 did. Companies are still holding events to announce stuff at that time. The Game Awards is its own thing as it was when Spike TV was holding game award events.

Theres like never hype for summer games fest though and no one even expects big game announcements there anymore. We always say around SGF and Gamescom how the big reveals will be at the game awards. I think the biggest announcement we got at SGF was Elden Ring.

It’s fine for what it is but TGA’s are just a way bigger production.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, not really. The closest comparison will continue to be Summer Game Fest. There's so much ambivalence around it for now really just due to the fact that it's not really one show as much as it is a show with a bunch of other unrelated but affiliated shows that run for a month and change. Once Keighley gets everyone on the same page, it's a wrap.

The Game Awards only seems like it's as big as it is due to the fact that Keighley is carrying a lot of water for publishers. It makes no sense for them to put the money into a big blowout showcase late in the fourth quarter of the year to just show off a couple of trailers. Keighley volunteering to do all the heavy lifting, and essentially just asking for fe video files in return goes a long way. Guarantee that if he decided to ever move the show back to earlier in the year, he'd find his support drastically lacking in comparison.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Theres like never hype for summer games fest though and no one even expects big game announcements there anymore. We always say around SGF and Gamescom how the big reveals will be at the game awards. I think the biggest announcement we got at SGF was Elden Ring.

It’s fine for what it is but TGA’s are just a way bigger production.
While the trade show itself isn't happening companies are still holding press events like they were before at around the same time to make announcements. Unless you actually went to the trade show it's business as usual.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
While the trade show itself isn't happening companies are still holding press events like they were before at around the same time to make announcements. Unless you actually went to the trade show it's business as usual.

The hype isn’t there as usual because you don’t get the big sony and Nintendo game reveals

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No it's not, Gizmo is such a stan that he's hype because it's the only event that Sony usually has trailers for nowadays.

The VGA is what it's always been, a 2 hour AD with about 30 minutes of game footage

The awards part of the show is trash, the "world premieres" are the best thing about the show but as a whole it pales in comparison to E3 just like summer game fest

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think it's mad weird y'all are denying VGAs impact. Went from a joke to something everyone watches to the point where people are expecting GTAVI's trailer to drop at this year's. If that isn't E3 status I don't know what it is.
If the impact of your award show is trailers, it completely failed. He doesn't need to rent out a hall and host such an event to show some trailers.

Some of yall are turning an award show into something it's really not. Summer Game Fest is E3s successor not this.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I mean, no one watches them for the dumb ass awards...
Maybe you don't but go on YouTube and look at the discourse around The Game Awards and its about the actual awards. Even on this forum there is discussion about who should be nominated for what. The awards are getting talked about more than anything.