Are The Game Awards the new E3?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Maybe you don't but go on YouTube and look at the discourse around The Game Awards and its about the actual awards. Even on this forum there is discussion about who should be nominated for what. The awards are getting talked about more than anything.

Big cap

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
If the impact of your award show is trailers, it completely failed. He doesn't need to rent out a hall and host such an event to show some trailers.

Some of yall are turning an award show into something it's really not. Summer Game Fest is E3s successor not this.
Are you telling me E3 wasn't about hype and trailers? Sure, it was also about going to the show and trying the games revealed but that was for the press and consumers. Even then, E3 was all about behind the scenes scoops and behind doors previews and trailers and reveals. When people think of E3 they think of reveals: 599 US dollars, no DRM from Sony, the reveal of the Wii, Twilight Princess reveal trailer, the FFVII remake trailer;etc. to deny this as a part of E3's legacy makes me question if you're actually a gamer. We watched E3 press conferences and snored through market speech to get a sliver of the future of gaming. E3 was all about the reveals. In a similar token no really cares about the awards. We care about what's going to be revealed. What are you smoking?

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug: E3 had more classic moments than the game awards. And people is only hyping this one up because of the possibility of GTA6. I think nothing is topping that e3 energy.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
:yeshrug: E3 had more classic moments than the game awards. And people is only hyping this one up because of the possibility of GTA6. I think nothing is topping that e3 energy.

Saying E3 had more classic moments than VGAs is like saying Nas had more classic moments than Kdot. No shyt. One is older and been around since the 90's.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Are you telling me E3 wasn't about hype and trailers? Sure, it was also about going to the show and trying the games revealed but that was for the press and consumers. Even then, E3 was all about behind the scenes scoops and behind doors previews and trailers and reveals. When people think of E3 they think of reveals: 599 US dollars, no DRM from Sony, the reveal of the Wii, Twilight Princess reveal trailer, the FFVII remake trailer;etc. to deny this as a part of E3's legacy makes me question if you're actually a gamer. We watched E3 press conferences and snored through market speech to get a sliver of the future of gaming. E3 was all about the reveals. What are you smoking?
E3 was a trade show for announcing and demoing games so no I'm not telling you that.

I'm telling you The Game Awards at this point is mostly talked about for its awards and most specifically game of the year. In the beginning he baited people into watching it with trailers but when people talk about The Game Awards now usually the first thing they're talking about is either who is nominated for game of the year or who will win it.

If you don't believe me Google The Game Awards and you can see the discussion about it.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Maybe you don't but go on YouTube and look at the discourse around The Game Awards and its about the actual awards. Even on this forum there is discussion about who should be nominated for what. The awards are getting talked about more than anything.
I don't believe they would be as popular as they are without the trailers, a big chuck of people would just google the winners the next day instead of battling through the awful productions, most just do it because of the trailers.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't believe they would be as popular as they are without the trailers, a big chuck of people would just google the winners the next day instead of battling through the awful productions, most just do it because of the trailers.

Especially since other game award shows where the focus is more on the actual awards get little attention from most people. Every year DICE/Golden JoyStick/BAFTA, etc. go by without a fraction of the viewership.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They might not have got there without the trailers but when you see online discussions about The Game Awards now it’s typically about the awards. When people talked about E3 online it was always what do you hope to see or what gets announced at E3. People speculating that GTA VI might be shown at The Game Awards because the rumored early Dec date isn’t derailing that.

Geoff Keighley has a history of over promising and under delivering leaving people disappointed in a lot of his trailer events. I see people especially on this site complain about that. Suddenly he’s E3 level.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Geoff Keighley has a history of over promising and under delivering leaving people disappointed in a lot of his trailer events. I see people especially on this site complain about that. Suddenly he’s E3 level

Are we going to pretend every year nikkas didn’t ALSO complain about how disappointing E3 was outside of like two years?

Last year the game awards had a bunch of good reveals

• Judas
  • Armored Core 6
  • Hades 2
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Phantom Liberty
  • Diablo release date
  • FFXVI gameplay And release date
  • Street Fighter 6 release date
And tons of other stuff.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Are we going to pretend every year nikkas didn’t ALSO complain about how disappointing E3 was outside of like two years?
When was the last time, hell the first time, you heard anyone call The Game Awards the Super Bowl of gaming?

E3 was big enough to the point even though it was cancelled people call that timeframe Not-E3. I called it Summer Game Fest due to that being a real event there but that block of time in June still holds the weight it held before.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
When was the last time, hell the first time, you heard anyone call The Game Awards the Super Bowl of gaming?

Super Bowl of gaming/christmas of gaming, but actually go back to the discussions after the showcases and look how much people complained about how lackluster they were after 2016. It was the same thing people are doing with TGA’s, gamers are the most entitled hobbyist on the planet.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I only ever end up liking like 2-3 games from Geoff's shows

They're usually always padded with complete trash