Aries Spears on Key & Peele Not Being Chosen by the Black Community

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I've never seen their show but my girl wanted to see their movie Keanu which looked corny as fukk from the trailer but it was pretty funny. If their show is in the same style of comedy though I can see why it didn't catch with black people. The audience in the theater was looking :mjpls: outside of us.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
I know what Cedric The Entertainer commercial he's talking about :mjlol:
I don't think they're funny. At all.
And everything Aries said was on point.
But they're both mixed. And both came from the suburbs. And were both raised by white mothers.
So my question is how exactly are they supposed to act?:jbhmm:

Last edited:

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
nikkas really gossiping on a dusty ass couch to Vlad :martin:

It don't matter if you don't agree with their brand of comedy, you still doing the same DMX impressions you did in the 90s and you ain't had a special in years.

Why can't nikkas just let brothers live and do their thing? :dahell:

All these old comics corny af for always going at another black comedian, but stay tight lipped about industry plant white comics :martin:

jfkennedy

Best After Bobby
Daps
key and peele aren't funny

I find them funny but not CONSISTENTLY funny. Like, their funniest shyt is up there with the best skits. But when it misses it's cringeworthy.

Also worth mentioning that I was introduced to them by a white guy. He couldn't wait to show me one of their skits. (the teacher pronouncing the kids' names)

Daps
He ain't lying that's for sure.

I don't know too many black people that like key and peele.

They're brand of comedy isn't like katt Williams, Corey Holcomb, or even Shawn and Marlon Wayans.

I personally think they're corny.:manny:

The Keanu movie they starred in looks like :trash:

I think they're more liked by white people than anyone else. There's a reason why their brand of comedy fits in so well with the likes of Daniel Tosh and Amy Schumer`s shows on Comedy central.

Fmju

Fixture
Daps
Reppin
PG
Most key and peele stans are either white or black with Tom tendencies. As far as the video we gotta get vlad the fukk outta here. I thought Aries was gonna hold out on the topic but he was just figuring out how to posture his piece :francis: I agree with just about everything he said and even appreciate the chappelles show gem at the end, but he shoulda had that convo with someone else

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Here's the thing with K&P...they are funny, to me at least partly because they understand white humor.

I love comedians. I look at stand ups and comedic actors like I do rappers damn near so I kinda study them. And while I won't say that there is "black" comedy and "white" comedy being able to relate to different demos is a skill that comedians need IMO to be ATG's. Dave to a lesser extent is a black man that understood how to connect to white folks sense of humor.

K&P being bi-racial, it comes natural to them to be able to tap into corny, white/absurdest humor and they are good at it, even if they're inconsistent with it.

This shyt fukking KILLED ME yo...:laff:

But that's a special blend of perspective that you aren't going to get from a stereotypical "black" comedian. They are comfortable with being odd-balls around other black people due to their upbringing because I would imagine it's probably been one of their life's challenges, so you see it come up and play out in their skits and even in the Keanu movie. They are very self aware of how they are perceived and they try to make something out of it. I admire that. Dave has the same flavor like Aries said. I wouldn't say it's about authenticity because they are def AUTHENTIC in themselves...Dave is just funnier/better at this shyt.

Last edited:

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
I cant fukk with them..
they just come off like white
boys acting black.

wat6rr.jpg

Marty Khan shytted on the tall bald one something serious on this past episode of House of Lies on Showtime off the same shyt. It went MUCH FURTHER than his guest appearance's character :mjpls: