Article: We read every one of the 3,517 Facebook ads bought by Russians. Here what we found

Supercoolmayo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Master Roshi's Island
The Russian company charged with orchestrating a wide-ranging effort to meddle in the 2016 presidential election overwhelmingly focused its barrage of social media advertising on what is arguably America’s rawest political division: race.

The roughly 3,500 Facebook ads were created by the Russian-based Internet Research Agency, which is at the center of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s February indictment of 13 Russians and three companies seeking to influence the election.

While some ads focused on topics as banal as business promotion or Pokémon, the company consistently promoted ads designed to inflame race-related tensions. Some dealt with race directly; others dealt with issues fraught with racial and religious baggage such as ads focused on protests over policing, the debate over a wall on the U.S. border with Mexico and relationships with the Muslim community.

The company continued to hammer racial themes even after the election.

USA TODAY NETWORK reporters reviewed each of the 3,517 ads, which were released to the public this week for the first time by the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. The analysis included not just the content of the ads, but also information that revealed the specific audience targeted, when the ad was posted, roughly how many views it received and how much the ad cost to post.

Among the findings:

• Of the roughly 3,500 ads published this week, more than half — about 1,950 — made express references to race. Those accounted for 25 million ad impressions — a measure of how many times the spot was pulled from a server for transmission to a device.
  • At least 25% of the ads centered on issues involving crime and policing, often with a racial connotation. Separate ads, launched simultaneously, would stoke suspicion about how police treat black people in one ad, while another encouraged support for pro-police groups.
  • Divisive racial ad buys averaged about 44 per month from 2015 through the summer of 2016 before seeing a significant increase in the run-up to Election Day. Between September and November 2016, the number of race-related spots rose to 400. An additional 900 were posted after the November election through May 2017.
  • Only about 100 of the ads overtly mentioned support for Donald Trump or opposition to Hillary Clinton. A few dozen referenced questions about the U.S. election process and voting integrity, while a handful mentioned other candidates like Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz or Jeb Bush.
Interactive Graphic: Explaining Russia's Facebook campaign aimed at Americans

Young Mie Kim, a University of Wisconsin-Madison researcher who published some of the first scientific analysis of social media influence campaigns during the election, said the ads show that the Russians are attempting to destabilize Western Democracy by targeting extreme identity groups.

“Effective polarization can happen when you’re promoting the idea that, ‘I like my group, but I don’t like the other group’ and pushing distance between the two extreme sides,” Kim said. “And we know the Russians targeted extremes and then came back with different negative messages that might not be aimed at converting voters, but suppressing turnout and undermining the democratic process.”

636616633600284333-051118-ADS011-IMPRESSIONS.png

More: Thousands of Facebook ads bought by Russians to fool U.S. voters released by Congress

More: Here's how Russian manipulators were able to target Facebook users

More: Read the special counsel's indictment of the Internet Research Agency

Background: Special counsel indicts Russian nationals for interfering with U.S. elections and political processes

The most prominent ad — with 1.3 million impressions and 73,000 clicks — illustrates how the influence campaign was executed.

Read more at https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...russians-accused-election-meddling/602319002/

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
This just sounds like spam.

There are all types of spam advertisement that just want you click on it.

"Guess what celebrity is related to her"

"Look what happened after he was arrested"

If y'all think any of those ads had any impact on the 2016 elections, I have beachfront property to sell you, with lots of sand in New Mexico. A few thousand ads, when there were probably 10s of millions doing the same shiit during the same period....c'mon son.

This is ploy....again.....to censor information on the internet.

They will use this to say, we need to protect our democracy, because Hillary lost because of "attacks" like this. :snoop:

People can't be this simple minded and malleable to not see this shiit :damn:. This is a ploy to censor content on the internet. They will use this bullshiit scenario to have Congress propose a law that says only certain types of media are allowed to do this or that...do y'all really want that?..it's a ploy.

Over half of eligible American voters did not vote in 2016.

Hillary won the popular vote. So more individuals actually wanted her to win.

Last edited:

Darth Nubian

I bought my first Ki from my baby momma brother
Daps
Reppin
The Black Star

If y'all think any of those ads had any impact on the 2016 elections, I have beachfront property to sell you, with lots of sand in New Mexico. A few thousand ads, when there were probably 10s of millions doing the same shiit during the same period....c'mon son.

They will use this to say, we need to protect our democracy, because Hillary lost because of "attacks" like this. :snoop:

People can't be this simple minded and malleable to not see this shiit :damn:. This is a ploy to censor content on the internet. They will use this bullshiit scenario to have Congress propose a law that says only certain types of media are allowed to do this or that...do y'all really want that?..it's a ploy.

Hillary won the popular vote. So more individuals actually wanted her to win. No advertisement impacted that.

You really overestimate the intelligence of your fellow citizens. Advertising is a multibillion dollar business for a reason :francis: You’re worried about this being used to censor the internet like polticians need reasons in order to pass laws. I’m old enough to have watched pols start numerous military conflicts and one generational war for no reason. Everything isnt some three card monte scam with an ulterior motive. We are at a point were people are so distracted, depressed, or disengaged that they are effectively self censored anyway.

newworldafro

Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
You really overestimate the intelligence of your fellow citizens. Advertising is a multibillion dollar business for a reason :francis: You’re worried about this being used to censor the internet like polticians need reasons in order to pass laws. I’m old enough to have watched pols start numerous military conflicts and one generational war for no reason. Everything isnt some three card monte scam with an ulterior motive. We are at a point were people are so distracted, depressed, or disengaged that they are effectively self censored anyway.

They need justification, even if the original source is bullshiit.

Last edited:

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps

Hillary won the popular vote. So more individuals actually wanted her to win.
What's up with conspiracy guys being pro trump?

newworldafro

Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
What's up with conspiracy guys being pro trump?

Not sure if you're insinuating I'm a 'spiracy' guy That's pro-Trump? :jbhmm:

I laid out facts she won the popular vote.

Most eligible voters didn't vote.

Hence, no amount of Russian, official or lay person, advertisements impacted the 2016 presidential election in favor of Trump. How the fuuck could 3,300 advertisements be anymore impactful than the millions on FB.

In March 2016, FB celebrated having 3 million advertisers
, 3 Million Advertisers on Facebook. Basic numbers at play here. That's 3 million individual advertisers, which means they created 10s if not 100s of millions of advertisements.

If you don't think fake shiit is used to justify laws and spending on shiit, then you're either trolling or extremely naive with politics.

Last edited:

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Yes, basically if you are a black persons and you get flooded with every racial injustice possible, it becomes a depressing echo chamber. That’s why I deleted mine and my twitter long ago.