Balatro - Poker Roguelike - (All Platforms) 94% on metacritic (February 20, 2024)

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA

snCjkz37d4abL3V8Evh5Rb-970-80.jpg

PC Gamer: 91%
You start off with a deck of 52 traditional playing cards. Each round, you draw eight cards and can play four hands to try to score enough chips to beat the dealer’s score. Each playable hand has a set score and multiplier—e.g. a pair gives 10 points and a x 2 multiplier. The value of the cards you played to make that hand is also applied. So a pair of 10’s would be 20 x 2 = 40 chips. Nice!

Steam Overwhelming Positive 3000+ ratings.

Xbox Era: 10/10
“Balatro is one of the best deck-building roguelikes I have ever played.”

Nintendo World Report: 9

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Doesn't quite hit the highs of Slay the Spire. But I found myself playing multiple rounds and I had to put down the controller to actually be productive.

Best part is how fast it is to go through a run. Slay the Spire can take a 60 - 90 mins for a run. This one can go by in like 15-20 mins, quick loading and a speed option to make the animations faster.

I got it for $15 on PS5. Well worth the price

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
I bought it day 1, as someone who has never played poker...it's pretty fun.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
I can't get a win
Got a joker that multis face cards
Got a joker all cards are treated as face cards :gladbron:

Boss: all face cards are debuffed:martin:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This game is crazy difficult but incredibly addictive. More people on the Coli need to play this.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't get a win
Got a joker that multis face cards
Got a joker all cards are treated as face cards :gladbron:

Boss: all face cards are debuffed:martin:

A few tips from a massive noob (have only won with blue and red decks):

Win the first round with your first hand so you have 10 gold day one.

Need to take any anyway decent joker(s) in antes 1 and 2 - you need them to survive but also fast clears to get more money. You can sell them later on. Likewise buying jokers that are good for only a few rounds (banana) is also ok if you have the space imo, so you can clear super fast and you have time to build up your joker/planet cards.

Try to get at least one gold making Joker in antes 2 and/or 3 to set up your economy, even if it means buying a gold making joker for just one ante, you'd be surprised how quickly your economy can snowball and set you up for later rounds.

To get wins you need planet cards for your 2-3 hand types that synergise with your jokers, you need good multi jokers (obviously) but you also need multiplier and polychrome cards. Basically antes 4-6 you are building up your planet cards, different types of jokers with mults and multipliers along with polychrome and synergizing as best as possible. It's doable IF you have a decent economy.

ALWAYS look ahead at what the big boss blind's special does, so you have a couple of rounds to plan accordingly.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Finally got my first win.
Gold deck
Xmult with the hoodie
And a card that gives you a tarot every time you add a card to your deck.
Stone cards were a big save.

The biggest things was getting the xMult. I didn't even understand it was different from a +mult for a while.

Game is crack

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Never thought I would say this but a poker roguelike game might be my GOTY. I thought it was going to be like a dragon, but I ended up getting hooked on this game, and I've played about 40 hours of it in one week.

They def need to put this on mobile

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finally beat 4 decks. One more for the challenge of beating 5, then might need to chill and play something else.