Barton Fink (The Coli Movie Club)

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
#movieclub

barton-fink_movieposter_1389045216.jpg

Barton Fink is a 1991 American period film written, directed, produced, and edited by the Coen brothers. Set in 1941, it stars John Turturro in the title role as a young New York City playwright who is hired to write scripts for a film studio in Hollywood, and John Goodman as Charlie, the insurance salesman who lives next door at the run-down Hotel Earle.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
@cook @Jax @hexagram23

I was sorta reluctant to pick this. Mainly because I reckon a lot of people have seen this. But I think it's a brilliant film that can garner a lot of discussion and hopefully there's some out there who haven't seen it yet.

It was between this or Grand Piano, a movie starring Elijah Wood about a guy who is performing a piano concert and cannot play a wrong note because a sniper is on him. So...hopefully I chose right :lupe:

b6125480ff274b3a6bc63291b9212dac.jpg

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
GREAT selection.

I've seen it before, but this gives me a chance to watch the blu-ray that's been sitting on my shelf for a few months.

cook

Banned
Daps
@Malta @SwiggyCabrera24 @ThiefyPoo @MartyMcFly @Real @ShaneTheRogue @Dr. Narcisse @Sensitive Blake Griffin @Jello Biafra @cook @Bruce Wayne @Suicide King @penfield @Doc Holiday @HHR @CarolinaKing @Brooklynzson @muzikfrk75 @track 1 @Abso831 @nasty @Thatrogueassdiaz @Kaii-genesis @AlphaOne @Microfracture @R.E.N. Spells Ren @88m3 @Method Man @AITheAnswerAI @Heretic @BelowTheMasonDixon @Jayson_bourn @GzUpHoEzDwN @LordEssdot @kp404 @Jutt @Raedawn07 @Mikey2Toes @MilesTailsPrower @LurkLurker @Reality @young3000 @Data-Hawk @Clutch Robinson @Hiphoplives4eva @wire28 @Keyser Soze @2 Up 2 Down @TarPitWu @Master Teacher @Conz @Anbessa725 @nikkahs B. Wildin @storyteller @ghostwriterx @Yoda @Kunty McPhuck @pete clemenza @KOTK @Captain_Crunch @TdashDUB @Ghost Utmost @tonyclifton @Wise @True Blue Moon @yoyoyo1 @Rekless Youf @Patrick Kane @YouMadd? @Mr Hate Coffee @NZA @Tuaminator @dangerranger @Primetime @Manny ManhaTTan @LongJohn @Ebonic Plague @Bruce LeRoy @Ayo @MF_BREW @Spin @Sunalmighty @choc_cardigan @StupidQuestion @Hammer @BarNone @IronFist @GoldenGlove @2Quik4UHoes @LostOne @TheGodling @duckbutta @The_Unchosen_One @Batz @Tony_Bromo @trick @theoretic @Wiirdo @sun raw @HankMoodyCSC @CapitalOne @bboystyle @dvdjamm @choc_cardigan @Arcavian @PurePlaya @DosCadenaz @T-K-G @Silkk @TooLazyToMakeUp1 @Remy Le Breh @Goat poster @GatorStaceyAdams @Raye82 @DaDoc04 @Insensitive @Rusty Kuntz @Higher Tech @Milk N Cookies @Cloud McFly @CoolazzFemale @iaknet8m @DESTOROYAH @SupaVillain @fukkyalifestyle @houston911 @hotbeezie @rockstedy @Floyd Pinkerton @Ice Cold @You Win Perfect @YallSOHHMaD? @Talkofnewyork @Card Holder @Prodigal Syndicate @mastermind @ryderldb @sicc2def @sanityovar8ted @iNad925 @1298ty @BlackDroog @pickles @92Inc @YaBishh @WeSeeIt

For new members...this is a casual club, there's not really any rules. You can drop a review for the movie whenever you see it. It doesn't even have to be a full review, if all you feel like doing is dropping some random thoughts, thats cool too...the goal is to get people talking and have an active discussion.

For those who missed previous weeks, feel free to watch those and drop a review in the thread.
Strange Days
Uncle Sam
Death Wish
Clue
The Family
http://www.thecoli.com/tags/movie club/

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
@cook @Jax @hexagram23

I was sorta reluctant to pick this. Mainly because I reckon a lot of people have seen this. But I think it's a brilliant film that can garner a lot of discussion and hopefully there's some out there who haven't seen it yet.

It was between this or Grand Piano, a movie starring Elijah Wood about a guy who is performing a piano concert and cannot play a wrong note because a sniper is on him. So...hopefully I chose right :lupe:

b6125480ff274b3a6bc63291b9212dac.jpg
Ign called grand piano the best movie hitchcock never made :mjlol:

Was fairly entertaining though. Not sure as good as its reviews though.

Im still in the middle of strange days im out

Last edited:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
What a mindfukk of a film....

I'd seen Barton Fink before, but I watched distracted and on my desktop.....so I wasn't wholly engaged. I sat down tonight focused on taking in a movie I know has a reputation for being a bit of a puzzle.

Afterwards, I feel like I'm looking at puzzle that's about 50% finished. The premise is seemingly straight forward, the characters are engaging and the performances are top shelf.

But the story.....the story.

I think that when filmmakers try to make EVERYTHING symbolic, it damages the overall effectiveness of the film. That is my big issue with Barton Fink. It's probably due in part to me missing some things and just not "getting it", but there are so many elements of the story that are clearly meant to mean something else that they just kind of pile up and ultimately become more distracting that interesting.

The wallpaper....the picture (and the final scene/conversation)..."Heil Hitler"....the pipes....the earplugs....Charlie's entire character.....there's just so much going on :mindblown:

I think the bulk of the film works on a surface level, as a self-important liberal playwright from NY gets overwhelmed and kicked around by the Hollywood machine. All of this story works and is damn entertaining thanks to great roles for Lerner and Shaloub among others. But it's ultimately overshadowed by the craziness of the 3rd act.

6/10

I think when I start to read more about this film's deeper meaning I'll appreciate it more....but that won't necessarily make it a better film imo.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
A movie that's on my "watch list"

:blessed:

Also I wonder if gonna get over 10 reveiws this week :stopitslime:

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
A movie that's on my "watch list"

:blessed:

Also I wonder if gonna get over 10 reveiws this week :stopitslime:

Simpsons definitely made me a smarter person and I stand by that. They tossed out stuff like that and as a kid I just soaked it up having no clue what Barton Fink was (much like Milhouse and the rest of Bart's friends) but I always felt smarter for knowing it existed and it made me want to do some research.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Ign called grand piano the best movie hitchcock never made :mjlol:

Was fairly entertaining though. Not sure as good as its reviews though.

Im still in the middle of strange days im out

Grand Piano was pretty decent. A little hammy but it didn't take itself too seriously which was good.