Barton Fink (The Coli Movie Club)

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I really liked this movie, I didn't think too deeply about symbolism and all that shyt. The scenes with the producer or head of the studios was almost like a "fukk you" to Hollywood, cause that guy was such a caricature. Turturro did a really good job in this. I wish more movies are done that are set in that era and especially in Hollywood. LA confidential was such a great movie.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I really liked this movie, I didn't think too deeply about symbolism and all that shyt. The scenes with the producer or head of the studios was almost like a "fukk you" to Hollywood, cause that guy was such a caricature. Turturro did a really good job in this. I wish more movies are done that are set in that era and especially in Hollywood. LA confidential was such a great movie.

What you know about the Coen's new flick, "Hale Caesar" breh? :youngsabo:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Coen-Brothers-Next-Film-Hail-Caesar-With-George-Clooney-43067.html

HHR

Do what you love
Daps

I wish I wouldn't have been so distracted by the symbolism and trying to decipher everything, because I loved everything that took place in the basic framework of the story. Everything outside of the hotel and the scenes with Fink and Meadows were all fantastic.

It feels like a incredibly dark, almost introspective, movie from the Coens. I know they wrote this film while they suffering from writer's block midway through writing Miller's Crossing, so it's interesting to see the main character going through similar issues in this. And doing so while another character is sitting there telling him "I could tell you some stories...", and he keeps ignoring that opportunity. He repeatedly rants about how difficult it is to CREATE something, and though he claims to be writing stories about the "common man", he really doesn't have any fukking idea what that is or means. It feels like the Coen's were in an incredibly dark and self-conscious state while making this film, and even if Fink isn't supposed to be a literal representation of their mindset, certain aspects of his character seem to be just that.

Maybe I liked this more than I thought I did at first....:patrice:

dizzy4111

All Star
Daps
Great choice. Might have to get in on this movie club thing. This is the best Coen Bros. movie for my money.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
GRAFX: Dope. Every shot was beautiful. It felt like 1941.
TRAX: Basic soundtrack. Nothing wrong.
BREAX: Dope. Basically everyone was fan fukcing tastic.
LYRIX: Dope. Some of the stuff that people are getting hung up on as symbolism might just be idiosyncratic writing, but I was certainly engaged throughout. The plot twist caught me by pleasant (?) surprise.

This movie makes you think about what it means quite a bit. As a writer of the cryptic myself, I can tell you that sometimes weird stuff is just weird stuff. It may have some psychological significance to the creator, but may not have an actual "meaning". I saw this compared to Pulp Fiction becuase of the box. So using the PF briefcase example: I honestly don't think anything in particular was in the briefcase besides golden light. It was suposed to symbolize something valuable, but not a particular thing. The viewers then take the idea and run with it, conjuring up theories and shoehorning them into the story. The box here was more purposeful and implied to be certain particulars, but it was still somewhat nebulous.

I guess I'm just mentally lazy but I don't make a bunch of assumptions about what a film is supposed to mean. Everything about it should be in the film itself. If the director wants us to infer something not shown, what IS shown should make the off panel stuff clear. If it's too muddy to be certain then the director was not clear enough and doesn't get any credit - from me - for being artsy or deep. Just lazy.

I digress. The mysteries in this movie do not take away from it. There is enough meat on the bone to satisfy and enough left to interpretation to make you wonder so it feels finished. Excellent pick. Excellent pic.

Four Eberts

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
It's fantastic looking movie, well edited and paced but everybody except John Goodmans character feels like a stereotype and their actions often don't make sense. I'm not even inspired to write anything about it.
7 out 10.

:yeshrug:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I started it really late last night got about 45 min in before passing out. I really enjoyed it so far..will finish tonight

god=nature=we'reFUCKED

Organize the non obvious
Daps
Reppin
HQ
It's fantastic looking movie, well edited and paced but everybody except John Goodmans character feels like a stereotype and their actions often don't make sense. I'm not even inspired to write anything about it.
7 out 10.

:yeshrug:

Just like in reality except people with devilish charm like Goodman :win: