Ben’s Chili Bowl Survived Riots And Recessions, But Might Not Make It Through The Pandemic

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
Ooh and Ahhs had the worst damn service...I had to stop going there. I mean...damn it was bad...food was cool but I would never go there again.

They do take a million years to have the damn food ready, I ain’t even gon’ hold you lol. And yeah I’d be willing to bet Florida Ave Grill got better hospitality

Sankofa Alwayz

Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
Yeah...both actually...and Yeah...that is Busboys too....they expanded like Crazy....I know the owner...and Iraqi dude name Andy.... Anacostia is the newest one...I was a regular at a few of them on Poetry open mic nights years ago....I used to joke that whenever a Busboys would open..look out for gentrification... Takoma...boom....Hyatsville "art district"..boom.....and now Anacostia lol

Ohhhh shyt you right :mjlol::mjlol:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Facts. Thankfully PG County (where I’m from) is still majority Black, it’s a decent amount of Black folks in Mo County, and I think Charles County is about to become predominantly Black for the very first time come the 2020 census, so DC will have two majority Black counties in Maryland nearby. It’s some gentrification going on in a few hood areas of PG but that’s mainly coming from professional Black folks who ain’t from here but I’ve also noticed a growing number of Latinx in parts of PG as well. Most Cacs have thankfully continued to shy away from living in most of PG outside of certain areas such as Bowie, Brandywine, and the north side of the County.

And breh, Cacs ain’t even scared of riding the Green Line and Blue Line anymore...I’ve been seeing some of them get off at stops they wouldn’t dare get off at literally just 10 years ago if they had no business there :mindblown:

And yeah Ion know what the fukk type of time these HU alumni be on nowadays. I’m willing to bet NCAT, Morgan, or even Hampton alumni with DC/DMV chapters give more contributions to their city than their HU alumni counterparts :francis:

I always heard PG was ratchet as hell though lol. I've noticed very few people I've met have been from DC proper, seems like everyone is from the surrounding areas. When I was a kid in the 90s DC was always presented as being black as hell, and like neck and neck with ATL in terms of 'progressive' black communities. I know years back PG and MOCO would always top the list for counties with the highest number/concentration of upper middle class Black people, but I wonder if that still holds true.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
I always heard PG was ratchet as hell though lol. I've noticed very few people I've met have been from DC proper, seems like everyone is from the surrounding areas. When I was a kid in the 90s DC was always presented as being black as hell, and like neck and neck with ATL in terms of 'progressive' black communities. I know years back PG and MOCO would always top the list for counties with the highest number/concentration of upper middle class Black people, but I wonder if that still holds true.

the only parts of PG that felt ratchet to me were the parts directly next to DC city limits.

granted PG county does have too much murders for a place considered middle class but I’m sure 90% of those murders happen in those specific hood spots

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
the only parts of PG that felt ratchet to me were the parts directly next to DC city limits.

granted PG county does have too much murders for a place considered middle class but I’m sure 90% of those murders happen in those specific hood spots

its probably because Black people of all socioeconomic backgrounds tend to live near each other, while Whites tend to have buffer zones that serpents them from other whites not in their socioeconomic class.

Like in ATL you got the Cascade neighborhood which historically has been home to the 'Black Elite' for decades, but its in close proximity to hoods, so crime spills over.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
its probably because Black people of all socioeconomic backgrounds tend to live near each other, while Whites tend to have buffer zones that serpents them from other whites not in their socioeconomic class.

Like in ATL you got the Cascade neighborhood which historically has been home to the 'Black Elite' for decades, but its in close proximity to hoods, so crime spills over.

That’s how my hood is in BK. I live in arguably one of the safest areas in the entire city but you wouldn’t know cause we share the same precinct with our next door neighborhood which is the hood

:pachaha:

Sankofa Alwayz

Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD

Lol it can be ratchet, it can be boujee, but it can also be real chill, it depends on where you are in the County. PG is pretty big compared to DC, to put it all in perspective...PG is almost as big as the City of Los Angeles in land area and just a mere tens of thousands of people smaller than San Francisco. We have our hood areas but they’re generally outnumbered by the more chill and safer areas. Our violent crime rate is noticeably bigger than the average suburban jurisdiction but compared to most cities, it’s pretty tamed. PG nikkas that are up to no good are usually more into car theft, burglary, house trappin, and stick-up robberies than heavy gunplay anyways, so our homicide rate is lower than DC’s, let alone Baltimore’s. Idk why tho but apparently PG has a persistent DV problem...It’s also good to keep in mind that contrary to popular belief, while much of PG is solidly middle class with a large upper middle class, it’s a lot more socioeconomically diverse than most people give it credit for. I somewhat consciously noticed that growing up in PG public schools.

I won’t lie and say there’s not the chance for ratchetry or fukkery in the nicer areas (even Clinton where I used to live has gotten noticeably more ratchet over the years) but usually not as common or frequent as the hood and working class areas. My subdivision neighborhood here in Brandywine is generally pretty chill, it’s nice and country out here like most of southern PG. I do got a few neighbors who are about that dirt-bike life tho :pachaha:And I have a family of Nuyoricans as neighbors down the street from me who stay blasting Hip Hop, Trap music, and old school music native to PR culture on really warm days. None of us complain about it tho, shyt be kinda lit lol.

Anyways, I’m rambling on but it’s some neighborhoods in PG that still make those lists of wealthy Black neighborhoods and zip codes such as Mitchellville (a lot of ppl don’t know that most of the land is originally owned by the Mitchells, a local old money Black family with a shyt load of generational wealth), Friendly, Fort Washington, Woodmore, Kettering, etc.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Lol it can be ratchet, it can be boujee, but it can also be real chill, it depends on where you are in the County. PG is pretty big compared to DC, to put it all in perspective...PG is almost as big as the City of Los Angeles in land area and just a mere tens of thousands of people smaller than San Francisco. We have our hood areas but they’re generally outnumbered by the more chill and safer areas. Our violent crime rate is noticeably bigger than the average suburban jurisdiction but compared to most cities, it’s pretty tamed. PG nikkas that are up to no good are usually more into car theft, burglary, house trappin, and stick-up robberies than heavy gunplay anyways, so our homicide rate is lower than DC’s, let alone Baltimore’s. Idk why tho but apparently PG has a persistent DV problem...

I won’t lie and say there’s not the chance for ratchetry or fukkery in the nicer areas (even Clinton where I used to live has gotten noticeably more ratchet over the years) but usually not as common or frequent as the hood and working class areas. My subdivision neighborhood here in Brandywine is generally pretty chill, it’s nice and country out here like most of southern PG. I do got a few neighbors who are about that dirt-bike life tho :pachaha:And I have a family of Nuyoricans as neighbors down the street from me who stay blasting Hip Hop, Trap music, and old school music native to PR culture on really warm days. None of us complain about it tho, shyt be kinda lit lol.

Anyways, I’m rambling on but it’s some neighborhoods in PG that still make those lists of wealthy Black neighborhoods and zip codes such as Mitchellville (a lot of ppl don’t know that most of the land is originally owned by the Mitchells, a local old money Black family with a shyt load of generational wealth), Friendly, Fort Washington, Woodmore, Kettering, etc.

PG is that big in land size damn

Sankofa Alwayz

Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD

This is true. Even over in the country ass MD Eastern Shore, most well-to-do Cacs generally don’t like living next to their poorer/white trash counterparts lol

Sankofa Alwayz

Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
PG is that big in land size damn

Hell yeah, it takes a good 50+ mins to go from one part of PG to the next and that’s WITHOUT traffic. Soon as rush hour comes in, you better start crankin some music to get you through lol. I have a friend who lives up in Hyattsville, it takes me damn near an hour just to get to her house from my neighborhood :snoop:

I have a friend who lives in Rockville in the next county over too, so you can imagine that trek :mjgrin:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Hell yeah, it takes a good 50+ mins to go from one part of PG to the next and that’s WITHOUT traffic. Soon as rush hour comes in, you better start crankin some music to get you through lol. I have a friend who lives up in Hyattsville, it takes me damn near an hour just to get to her house from my neighborhood :snoop:

I have a friend who lives in Rockville in the next county over too, so you can imagine that trek :mjgrin:

Yea Hyattsville is where I know most of my people even tho I don’t keep in touch no more but my best friend sister lives in Bowie.