Best core exercises for overweight folks?

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
OP, I wouldn't even bother with isolation exercises right now.

No crunches, no bicep curls, etc...

You'd be best to do low intensity steady state cardio for 1 hour a day along with 1 hour of compound lifts. You'll work your core doing deadlifts and squats

Also compound lifts burn way more calories than that isolation stuff

I lost 90 lbs in 7 months doing that

Also as far as diet goes, eat fish and sweet potatoes as many days as you can

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Fork downs and push aways :ld:

really just focus on complex lifts, holding your core when you workout and dropping lbs. direct core work is good if you’re lean, if you have a really weak core and for women.

for weak core, you should consider mat Pilates twice a week

psiko

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you're having trouble with compound lifts lower the weight. If you have to squat the bar for a week to get your form in that's worth it. An extra week or two to progress is better than an injury keeping you out the gym for a month.

Daps
If you are overweight:

Do some cardio (walk/jog/bike/elliptical)...probably need at least 30 to 45 minutes per day.

Stick to compound lifts like deadlift, squats, shoulder press, rows, bench press (dumbbell or barbell) etc.

The compound lifts hit more muscle groups so you won't spend as much time in the gym. Plus, compound lifts require core stability to control the weight so you are indirectly working that too.

Count your calories. Diet is the biggest challenge for most folks. I need to drop 20 lbs my damn self :russ:

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So I'm fat as hell and come to find out been doing situps the wrong way via anchoring my feet. I can't do situps without anchoring my feet. If you didn't know, it's possible for your hip flexors do to all the work, which means your abs ain't doing nothing. I just found out about this because my abs wasn't getting sore.

So I'm trying to find core exercises. Only thing I can think of is planks. Are there any other exerecises that can build me up to doing situps? The standing side bend seems pretty easy.
Can you lay on your back and do leg raises or flutter kicks?

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
This

breh too eager to get to the finish line

Outchea trying to do core work when there’s tons of fat that needs to be addressed.

Breh gonna have to do at least 1 calendar year of running/jogging and tons of walking just to establish some kinda baseline and chop down some of the likely issues he has that are associated with the weight.

Learn how to run first and take advantage of it being a full body workout and burn the damn fat first. How much basic core shyt (like a crunch) can you do realistically do if there’s fat taking up the space you’re trying to crunch to

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
How big are we talking?

depends on your mobility and range of motion?

Can you do lying leg raises, bycicle kicks, stuff like that?

I’d focus on losing the weight and doing lifts that require core stability like squats.

KingsnBucs1987

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indianapolis
I do Russian Twists and if you have a small weight or something like a basketball, you can hold that while you're doing them.

Get into a sit-up position and lean back some and with the ball or weight in hand turn from left to right and do that in sets of 10-15.

Good for working on the love handles and core

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
OP, I wouldn't even bother with isolation exercises right now.

No crunches, no bicep curls, etc...

You'd be best to do low intensity steady state cardio for 1 hour a day along with 1 hour of compound lifts. You'll work your core doing deadlifts and squats

Also compound lifts burn way more calories than that isolation stuff

I lost 90 lbs in 7 months doing that

Also as far as diet goes, eat fish and sweet potatoes as many days as you can
What is a compound lift?

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
What is a compound lift?

An exercise that uses several different muscle groups as opposed to an isolation exercise that focuses on a small muscle group.

Short list

Bench press (chest, traps, triceps, and surprisingly your lats)
Dead lifts (whole posterior chain. Basically every muscle on your back, back core, to your quads)
Squats (core and quads)
Bent over rows (core and lats)
Pullups to a lesser extent (lats, biceps, and core to stabilize)

Isolation stuff would be curls, situps, tricep pushdowns, etc...