Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schoolly D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
This is the first official thread for a series I'll call 'Best Rapper Alive'. Basically, in this thread (http://www.thecoli.com/threads/revi...list-how-can-we-make-it-more-accurate.465427/), I discussed Complex's article that covered this very issue.

I thought we'd do a Coli spin on things and vote for who we believe to be the rap MVP of each year. I will be going from 1985-2015 but the threads won't be made in ascending or descending order. Just random.

Basically, I will be listing contenders as poll options for MVP of any given year and y'all get one vote to vote for your MVP.

POINT SYSTEM
I will only reward the top 5 finishers of each poll.

1st place = 10 points
2nd place = 5 points
3rd place = 3 points
4th place = 2 points
5th place = 1 point

The reason the remaining 4 places matter is because when all is said and done, I'll be tallying up points to see who finishes in the top 10 ever. This is done to reward consistent top 5 placers in multiple years even if they never won the MVP for one given year.

CONTENDER PRE-REQUISITES
There's only one real pre-requisite. You must have an album released in that year. This matters more to me than it does to you guys since I'm making the poll options, but just so y'all know this is the angle I'm coming from. Snoop Dogg cannot be in contention for 1995 for example.

As for groups and duos, if there's a standout member I will put them for contention if I deem them worthy enough e.g. Andre 3000 for 1998 or Ice Cube for 1988.

As for number of contenders per thread, it will depend on the year. A year like 1994 will likely have 10-15 contenders (max poll option is 15), but for 1985 it could be 5-6 only.

If your desired contender for any year is not one of the poll options and you plan to vote for that person, please make it known in the thread so I can add a poll option. DO NOT complain about an artist missing if you don't have intentions to vote for him/her.

-----------------------------------------------

Today we go back in time to 1987!

I thought I'd also make a new hashtag for y'all to follow, so you can keep up to date with every thread release. Let's go with #BRAColi.

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
#BRAColi

#tpc

well it comes down to KRS and Rakim for me. Criminal Minded vs. Paid in Full.

Not only do I prefer Paid in Full as an album, but I think it was more of an influence with regards to rhyming. It is perhaps the most influential hip-hop album of all-time. Rakim came out with something never seen before, and has laid the blueprint for some of rap's finest poets including Nas.

He's my MVP pick.

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
LL Cool J started it for me when I was 5 so this one's kinda personal ..Stepmoms would only play R&B around the house (Whispers, Stephanie Mills, Freddie Jackson, but I wanted to hear the hard shyt like P.E., Run DMC, Just Ice, Ice T etc etc She wasn't having it but when LL BAD vid would come on I would go get pops shades, that and rock to that shyt :pachaha:

Last edited:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
:martin:

shoot yourself
if it aint da nikka below

tumblr_luta6p53K91qfwshko1_250.gif

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Rakim, and that's the only answer

krs has been exposed as a phony rapper after his drake and afrika bambooty comments.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Rakim was the greatest rapper alive in 87,

but Criminal Minded was the best album, there's a reason De La asked where you were when it dropped.

I remember it like yesterday, just epic, dope, educational, inspirational, radical, and technical.