Best Rapper Alive - 1989 (IF YOUR MVP CHOICE ISN'T ON POLL, MAKE A REQUEST IN THREAD)

Who is the MVP of 1989?

• Posdnuos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scarface

• Parrish Smith

• Special Ed

• Queen Latifah

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
This is the first official thread for a series I'll call 'Best Rapper Alive'. Basically, in this thread (http://www.thecoli.com/threads/revi...list-how-can-we-make-it-more-accurate.465427/), I discussed Complex's article that covered this very issue.

I thought we'd do a Coli spin on things and vote for who we believe to be the rap MVP of each year. I will be going from 1985-2015 but the threads won't be made in ascending or descending order. Just random.

Basically, I will be listing contenders as poll options for MVP of any given year and y'all get one vote to vote for your MVP.

POINT SYSTEM
I will only reward the top 5 finishers of each poll.

1st place = 10 points
2nd place = 5 points
3rd place = 3 points
4th place = 2 points
5th place = 1 point

The reason the remaining 4 places matter is because when all is said and done, I'll be tallying up points to see who finishes in the top 10 ever. This is done to reward consistent top 5 placers in multiple years even if they never won the MVP for one given year.

CONTENDER PRE-REQUISITES
There's only one real pre-requisite. You must have a project released in that year (whether an album, mixtape, EP or similar). This matters more to me than it does to you guys since I'm making the poll options, but just so y'all know this is the angle I'm coming from. Snoop Dogg cannot be in contention for 1995 for example.

As for groups and duos, if there's a standout member I will put them for contention if I deem them worthy enough e.g. Andre 3000 for 1998 or Ice Cube for 1988.

As for number of contenders per thread, it will depend on the year. A year like 1994 will likely have 10-15 contenders (max poll option is 15), but for 1985 it could be 5-6 only.

If your desired contender for any year is not one of the poll options and you plan to vote for that person, please make it known in the thread so I can add a poll option. DO NOT complain about an artist missing if you don't have intentions to vote for him/her.

The list is merely preliminary and if you want to vote for someone not listed - just reply to the thread and ask. The list isn't exhaustive and meant to represent every rapper who had a great year any given year. The list is meant to be interactive. I have left spots open for people to be nominated.

-----------------------------------------------

Let's take it back in time to 1989!

I thought I'd also make a new hashtag for y'all to follow, so you can keep up to date with every thread release. Let's go with #BRAColi.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
#tpc

#bracoli

this one is tough

leaning towards Big Daddy Kane....album was a spectacular display of versatile song writing and flows

The D.O.C. is right up there as well for me

I'd like to give it to G Rap potentially but I don't hold his album in as high a regard as the other two aforementioned artists

we see the emergence of Scarface and Posdnuos but they were part of groups, so that hampers their progress imo

gonna think before I choose BDK or DOC

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
#tpc

#bracoli

this one is tough

leaning towards Big Daddy Kane....album was a spectacular display of versatile song writing and flows

I'd like to give it to G Rap potentially but I don't hold his album in as high a regard as the other two aforementioned artists

we see the emergence of Scarface and Posdnuos but they were part of groups, so that hampers their progress imo

I'm torn between G Rap and DOC.

Daps
Hashtags down so I didn't get the notifications for this:mjcry:

@Inspect Her Deck I'm with you on either BDK or DOC but instead I'm leaning towards D.O.C. because he had a better album that year.

But BDK had the hype from last year too. But then again D.O.C. was affiliated with NWA and featured on their album last year

Might vote DOC tbh

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Hashtags down so I didn't get the notifications for this:mjcry:

@Inspect Her Deck I'm with you on either BDK or DOC but instead I'm leaning towards D.O.C. because he had a better album that year.

But BDK had the hype from last year too. But then again D.O.C. was affiliated with NWA and featured on their album last year

Might vote DOC tbh

I'm ready to change my vote if need be to DOC....went for Kane for now

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
#tpc

#bracoli

this one is tough

D.o.c has the best album by far. Too short is up there,so is KANE but both of them had a better album than Kane

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Thread starter,you're making a mistake pulling dudes out of the groups they're in. Easy to overlook.
For example,even though I clearly know Posdnous name,as i'm half ass scanning the list and watching tv,it's easy to overlook and not think about whom de la was in 89' despite remembering that era very clearly

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Thread starter,you're making a mistake pulling dudes out of the groups they're in. Easy to overlook.
For example,even though I clearly know Posdnous name,as i'm half ass scanning the list and watching tv,it's easy to overlook and not think about whom de la was in 89' despite remembering that era very clearly

I don't get it

you want me to put Posdnuos (De La Soul) or something? Or just exclude him from the list?