Best videogames with a black protagonist (and why we need more).

Invisible Man

The Real Huey
Daps
Reppin
Outer Space
shadowman.jpg

Urban-Chaos-cover.jpg

BGE-cover.jpg

Half-Life_2_-_Episode_One.jpg

Half-Life_2_Episode_Two_title.jpg

FOB_ps2.jpg

gta-v-big.jpg

Resident_Evil_5_Wallpaper_No_2_by_F_1.jpg

prototype_2_2012-wide.jpg

Assassin%27s_Creed_III_Liberation_Cover_Art.jpg

saints-row-wallpaper.jpg

....and its three sequels.

tumblr_static_twd-splash.jpg

Left-4-Dead-2.jpg

crysis-3-5-7-2013.jpg

Starhawk_coverart.jpg

The_Suffering_coverart.jpg

20131101004202!The_House_of_the_Dead_Overkill_USA.jpg

killer7.jpg

61GDKDqAUZL._SY300_.jpg

Mercenaries_-_Playground_of_Destruction_Coverart.png

Final Fantasy VII

And various fighting game and sports game franchises with some sort of story mode.

The industry needs to do a better job with black representation in gaming. Alyx Vance is still the most three-dimensional and endearing black character in gaming history, and she's a half breed. Most of our protagonists are big walking stereotypes that use their brawn over their brains. I would like more games like Saints Row which have a black sensibility and allow you to customize your character the way you see fit. Thankfully, RPG's such as Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim give you these options. My character is black in both games. A game like Mass Effect doesn't work by making your character black because he still has a white man's voice. Saints Row actually gave you voice options that made the character customization so much more immersive than in other games of its kind. I would love to see a game of The Last of Us or The Legend of Zelda's caliber with a black character as the main protagonist, but the cynic in me says it will never happen. Gamers are traditionally white, and thus, the industry caters to them, and not "us". Until more blacks get into game designing, things are going to stay lily white for the most part. It's not a world ending problem, but as a black gamer who's been gaming his entire life, it's something that irks me from time to time.

Invisible Man

The Real Huey
Daps
Reppin
Outer Space
Reaching on a few of these considering some arent lead characters :manny:
True, but I wanted to count games that also have a black main character who happens to be alongside you the entire game (Half Life) and/or is playable throughout the game and integral to the advancement of the story (Killer 7).