Biden wants a $15 hourly federal minimum wage. Is America ready?

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
40 hours x $7.25 = $290
25 hours x $15 = $375

:patrice:

We already know how companies are going to react to this.

Let’s say you run a property management company. All of your clients have contracts with rates for services built in. You bill them a flat $3000 a month plus reimbursables.

Do you come back to your client and renegotiate their contract to account for your staff getting raises or do you fidget with your existing staffs hours and employment status to balance your budget? Or maybe you provide even less service to balance it out. Or maybe you hire admins from the Philippines.

I actually know the answer to this from running one. And it’s all of the above.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

$11.80 x 40 = $472
$15 x 32 = $480

And that average wage essentially excludes several states that don't have a mininum higher than the Fed...

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We already know how companies are going to react to this.

Let’s say you run a property management company. All of your clients have contracts with rates for services built in. You bill them a flat $3000 a month plus reimbursables.

Do you come back to your client and renegotiate their contract to account for your staff getting raises or do you fidget with your existing staffs hours and employment status to balance your budget? Or maybe you provide even less service to balance it out. Or maybe you hire admins from the Philippines.

I actually know the answer to this from running one. And it’s all of the above.

You employ a lot of full time minium wage employees?

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You employ a lot of full time minium wage employees?

Not me. I worked as a manager where we had some minimum wage employees: office staff that answered phones, handled parking passes, addresses low level account related questions, etc. Everyone else was an independent contractor or outsourced from overseas. It was the only way to make the margins work. And no one was making money hand over fist. We got by on volume of activity.

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Republicans harp on freedom and "state's rights" but if they actually wanted to uphold democracy and represent local interests then we wouldn’t see red states opposing policies that are objectively popular among their own constituents. Take Florida for example; Republican at every statewide position, but they needed a ballot initiative to increase minimum wage to $15 because their current minimum wage is unlivable and they know their reps aren't going to listen, despite overwhelming support.

The entire “state’s rights” argument falls apart when you consider the fact that red states have always opposed progress like I said earlier. Child labor laws, overtime laws, school desegregation, voting rights, you name it. Red states have chosen to keep the status quo at almost every turn and there’s no reason to think they’ll ever just “get around” to making helpful changes. Hence why the feds have to keep getting involved.

The other reason I said that is because voter suppression is the biggest impediment to an actual, functioning democracy in the US. Repubs have all but admitted that high voter turnout is bad for them, and we're one of the only advanced countries that makes it harder to vote. We don't have nationwide automatic voter registration, we don't have a federal holiday for voting, and we don't let most people in prison or with criminal records vote. Millions of potential voters can't vote for one reason or another, and we saw what happens in Georgia when there’s a grassroots effort to mobilize voters against voter suppression policies.

Only one party actively tries to disenfranchise as many people as possible, and it's the same one that constantly crows about freedom and democracy. It doesn't add up.
... and i dont think poor people are being left behind, in fact i think the lower cost of living in these problem states are a relief for low income families, and i have no clue where they will turn when the cost of living catches up and begins gentrifying America as a whole.

Current trends suggest these states that "wont get it done" are top destinations for Americans.

Where Are Americans Moving?
2020 U.S. Moving Migration Patterns Report | North American Van Lines
Poor people are absolutely being left behind and they can't always just up and move to where it's cheaper. Over 8 million Americans have fallen into poverty during the pandemic, and we already had increasing inequality, an affordable housing crisis, and stagnant wages.

And I’m saying this as someone who actually works on behalf of poor people in the real world. I see it everyday with my own eyes, but if you don't think poor people are being left behind then I don't know what to tell you.

:hubie:

We should be attacking the top not the top imo:manny: Not the bottom.
#abolishtheminwage
Attacking the top as in taxing corporations and the rich their fair share? :ehh: Sign me up.

There's no reason we can't attack this from the top and the bottom at the same time.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Proper taxation and redistribution is the answer not higher barriers to entry.

this is definitely an issue. if everyone paid their fair share, shyt would be different. Too many rich and afluent cats can skate around paying their fair share. that's foul and fukked up.

I know it's a pipe dream, but a flat tax with no exemptions is needed.