Biden wants a $15 hourly federal minimum wage. Is America ready?

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:ehh:Fair enough... but I still haven't heard a compelling argument as to why it shouldn't be a states issue.
I'm not opposed to $15/min wage, I just think states should implement it on their own, taking into consideration all the factors unique to their economy.
Because history has shown us that it would never get done, seeing as red and southern states just dig in their heels whenever something like this is left to the states. Slavery, desegregation, even Medicaid expansion for a recent example, were all left up to the states and it’s no surprise that red states ended up on the wrong side of history in every case. The federal government only has to get involved in the first place because conservatives have convinced their voters to shyt on themselves to own the libs, and it’s dragging everyone else down.

The minimum wage is supposed to be a floor but it’s impossible to live on it in the US. I don’t know where you found that stat about average rent in Ohio but it’s completely bogus when it comes to rent in the cities, where most Ohioans actually live. Rent in Cleveland is well over $1k and it’s approaching that amount in Columbus too (I assume the only reason it’s not there yet is the cheap student housing at OSU throwing off the average). Cincy isn’t far behind either.

Rent in Cleveland continues to climb: Here’s how much you need to make to afford it

https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article...-aug/530-06b104fc-ce7f-4230-8b54-34d22771d81c

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:francis:
Dems havent been able to in CA
Dems suck tho.
We'd need someone who's actually unafraid to push past some week compromise.
There's no reason why someone who went to college, married well, participates positively in their community etc.
Should get priced out by someone making ten times their salary (or realistically several people making that!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm drawn to the allure of Silicon valley and the salaries which some individuals command out
there but I also find it patently ridiculous that a few corporations can pay so handsomely that anyone who isn't within
tech has to seriously contemplate sleeping in a car while making damn near six figures themselves.
In any other city many of these peoples would do MORE than well. :pachaha:

At that point, it's not JUST an income inequality issue but how we look at wealth and how some individuals choose to store
it (housing/real estate being a chief choice for many) and how those decisions to protect wealth can lead to a precious
resource (housing) becoming considerably more scarce.

I think there were also some laws regarding building homes or apartment buildings up that way but I could be misremembering
as well. (Obviously you could combat the ridiculous demand by building more homes but if there's some kind of regulatory
body preventing that well...the issue persists!)

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Because history has shown us that it would never get done, seeing as red and southern states just dig in their heels whenever something like this is left to the states.
If that's their choice that's their choice... :manny:
State and city politics are better reflections of 'the will of the people' imo, and if thats what they want thats what they want. Democracy and all.
Forcing what you want upon them shouldnt be the answer... especially on an issue where the science isnt settled, and reversing it will be exceedingly difficult.

:yeshrug:
2018 Fair Market Rent in Ohio | RentData.org
https://www.deptofnumbers.com/rent/ohio/

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
right? like businesses and landlords aren't gonna raise prices to collect get their share off that minimum wage rise :mjlol:

Scenario 1: bottle of water costs 1$ at the corner spot. you were making 8 hr so you think with the 15$ minimum wage rise, that bottle of water is not gonna fck up your budget as bad as it usually does. So put your cheese face on and go to the store and when you get ready to pay for the water....Store clerk looks at you dead in the face: "bottle of water is 2.50$ now :troll:"
It's only so high they can put things, before people aren't willing to pay for it.

There's a reason vending machines don't just keep increasing to and people drive around for a .10c discount on gas

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
State and city politics are better reflections of 'the will of the people' imo, and if thats what they want thats what they want. Democracy and all.

In a vacuum, sure, but this "states' rights" argument always ignores the fact that poor and vulnerable people are being left behind under the guise of democracy. If this was true then we wouldn't see so many minimum wage ballot initiatives in red states.

The numbers in that link are higher than you initially said, and they still don't line up with reality for most people in Ohio.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is a red vs blue issue.

Blue state economies can handle this. Red states generally can’t with a few exceptions.

I expect a lot of people currently employed to be reclassified as private contractors or have their hours reduced to less than 30 per week.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
If that's their choice that's their choice... :manny:
Forcing what you want upon them shouldnt be the answer... especially on an issue where the science isnt settled, and reversing it will be exceedingly difficult.

If 51% of people vote for something and 49% of people vote for something then no that’s not a good reflection of what the people want.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
In a vacuum, sure, but this "states' rights" argument always ignores the fact that poor and vulnerable people are being left behind under the guise of democracy. If this was true then we wouldn't see so many minimum wage ballot initiatives in red states.

The numbers in that link are higher than you initially said, and they still don't line up with reality for most people in Ohio.
Explain? :patrice:

... and i dont think poor people are being left behind, in fact i think the lower cost of living in these problem states are a relief for low income families, and i have no clue where they will turn when the cost of living catches up and begins gentrifying America as a whole.

Current trends suggest these states that "wont get it done" are top destinations for Americans.

Where Are Americans Moving?
2020 U.S. Moving Migration Patterns Report | North American Van Lines

We should be attacking the top not the top imo:manny: Not the bottom.
#abolishtheminwage

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is a red vs blue issue.

Blue state economies can handle this. Red states generally can’t with a few exceptions.

I expect a lot of people currently employed to be reclassified as private contractors or have their hours reduced to less than 30 per week.

40 hours x $7.25 = $290
25 hours x $15 = $375

:patrice: