Black Feminism

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The thing is though, are black women oppressed because of their race or their gender?

Some would argue that their priorities are misplaced. Even if they were male wouldn't they still be marginalized because of their race?

Isn't racism the problem here more so than sexism?

depends on who you ask. black women seem to think racism is a thing of the past but sexism is more prevalent; and maybe they're have a point. seeing as most racism is directed towards the males, while they're being coddled by white supremacy.

it's kind of like this video:

i don't fukk with black israelites but i like this video. they ask a bunch of random black women if whites are the enemy. they all say no. now, check out the white mans response @ 9:24

cac is like :jawalrus: hell yeah we're ya enemy

Last edited by a moderator:

Man On Fire

All Star
Daps
Reppin
nyc
depends on who you ask. black women seem to think racism is a thing of the past but sexism is more prevalent; and maybe they're have a point. seeing as most racism is directed towards the males, while they're being coddled by white supremacy.

99% of black women are the enemy? - YouTube

i don't fukk with black israelites but i like this video. they ask a bunch of random black women if whites are the enemy. they all say no. now, check out the white mans response @ 9:24

these hoes need a :cape: ngga to save them out of their pitiful legacies

Dirty_Jerz

Ethiop
Daps
Reppin
the evils of truth, and love

99% of black women are the enemy? - YouTube

:ufdup:

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
the root of that bitterness stems from white male patriarchy, it didn't just come from nowhere. the notion of non whites being inferior, the attitude behind american slavery, the attitude behind jim crow, that comes from white male patriarchy.

as for the bitter black women syndrome, you're confusing two completely different things

No ones says you have to emulate to the white mans cruelty , but you should at least aspire to his competitiveness. There's a reason why no matriarchies exist, a society that cannot properly defend itself ultimately has no value.

You don't think the bitter black woman syndrome has anything to do with the fact that our communities are female-centric? :why: You can't see how that might influence the next generation of girls? Really n!gga? Why do you even listen to Tariq Nasheed in the first place? His whole show is a platform for black male patriarchy.

Sharp

Let That Hoe Go
Daps
I've actually read works by Bell Hooks. I wouldn't consider her a feminist. She's more of a civil rights activist and brings awareness to the mistreatment of black people as a whole and she starts about how white America brought a divide between the black man and woman.

Let's be realistic here. The word Feminist is very negative due to radicals claiming it and shaping it's principles. If I was Bell Hooks, I would be trying to get as far away from the feminist title as I could because the negative connotation turns people off to it instantly. When you said "Black Feminism", nobody was trying to hear anything that you said, although I must admit you have a very good argument.

There needs to be a new name for that movement, calling it feminism isn't going to help it get heard or accepted.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
salamishah tillet is my favourite black feminist. joan morgan as well. a ;lot of black feminists are miserable and have a bitter disposition. i am not here for that. even when they are right, i still aint here for that. from what i have read from salamisha and joan, they are very intelligent, great at explaing ish, and aint tryna destroy the black man community.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
salamishah tillet is my favourite black feminist. joan morgan as well. a ;lot of black feminists are miserable and have a bitter disposition. i am not here for that. even when they are right, i still aint here for that. from what i have read from salamisha and joan, they are very intelligent, great at expelling ish, and aint tryna destroy the black man community.

She taught two of my classes in College, exposed me to a lot of stuff beyond just black feminism, black history in general. I have a lot of respect for her.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've actually read works by Bell Hooks. I wouldn't consider her a feminist. She's more of a civil rights activist and brings awareness to the mistreatment of black people as a whole and she starts about how white America brought a divide between the black man and woman.

Let's be realistic here. The word Feminist is very negative due to radicals claiming it and shaping it's principles. If I was Bell Hooks, I would be trying to get as far away from the feminist title as I could because the negative connotation turns people off to it instantly. When you said "Black Feminism", nobody was trying to hear anything that you said, although I must admit you have a very good argument.

There needs to be a new name for that movement, calling it feminism isn't going to help it get heard or accepted.

she labels herself a black feminist, one of her most famous works is even "Black Women and Feminism."

I agree it has a real negative connotation nowadays but that was the reason I made this thread in the first place

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
She taught two of my classes in College, exposed me to a lot of stuff beyond just black feminism, black history in general. I have a lot of respect for her.
lucky you. she is also great on music analysis. i remember her conversation with Mark Anthony Neal about Kanye and to be honest, she had the best commentary on Kanyes album than any I read in the more elitist press. And she critiqued Kanye in a way i hadn't thought about before and it didn't come of as hateful or anything, she gave him his full props but pointed out his lyricism was not progressing on the same level as his production and he was reinforcing sexist notions. serious if that was dream hampton, it would have been all about dream hampton and turned it into a big huh hah about who she knew and what she heard and blah blah blah and would have ended up as just depressing.

Daps
Reppin
St louis
WjnQOMN.gif

UKVu0t8.gif