Black History Month Film "Festival" Updated with spoilers

Raava

Staff member
Daps
***Updated***I updated the thread with Spoilers so it would be easier to load. If you add a video please use spoilers.

Come post must see or post your favorites Black films and documentaries. Lets celebrate Blacks in film. These may have their own threads but I thought this would be a good/fun thread and you might find some gems you didn't know about. Also you can post movies/documentaries you know about but haven't seen yet. Also if there are specific directors or writers we should check out add them. I'm at work I may add and make corrections later.

I'll start it off.

Bamboozled, 2000 Satire Film

A blistering satire of network television's pitfalls and prejudices, a humorous look at how race, ratings and the pursuit of power lead to a television writer's stunning rise and tragic downfall. Pierre Delacroix, a young, Harvard-educated man, who is the sole person of color, writing for an upstart network with floundering ratings. Despite several attempts, Delacroix has yet to see any of his concepts go into production.

When Black Men ruled the World, Documentary

Synopsis

For nearly two hundred years now, White scholars have removed Black people from Egypt, Egypt from Africa and Africa from world history. They have always taught that Egypt is in the Near East, the Middle East, the Mediterranean and even the Fertile Crescent. They have never informed the world that Egypt is and always has been on the Continent of Africa.

While White publishers controlled everything written and taught about Africa - - and often published books stating that the Ancient Egyptians were White - - no one, except Black people, complained. However, since Black people began publishing their own work and using the internet to tell our story, suddenly everyone is interested in setting Black people straight by insisting that the Ancient Egyptians were neither Black nor white, but Arabs, like the Arabs of today.

We disagree. Arabs invaded Egypt in the 7th Century AD, long after Ancient Egyptian civilization had declined and faded away. Arabs have no more connection to Ancient Egypt than Europeans have to Ancient America.

Many have argued that, even if the Ancient Egyptians were Black Africans, modern African Americans, who lay claim to Egyptian civilization, are not akin to them because their ancestors were West Africans. This reflects a lack of knowledge about African history. Virtually all West African people trace their ancestry to the northeast and ultimately to the Nile Valley. A number of Black scholars have revealed evidence of the ancient migratory trail from the Nile across the continent to West Africa and the Atlantic Ocean. Therefore, modern African Americans do indeed have a direct link to the Ancient Egyptian people.

We understand that most White people and Arabs have great difficulty imagining Black Africans to have laid the foundation of civilization. We sincerely regret that Western racist propaganda has so narrowed their worldview. But, at this site we deal with evidence - - not propaganda, not passion, not preconceived notions or white supremacy.

I haven't watched yet

Immitation of life 1959, Film

This is not a film made or directed by a black individualbut it's still a must see for us.

A struggling young actress with a six-year-old daughter sets up housekeeping with a homeless black widow and her light-skinned eight-year-old daughter who rejects her mother by trying to pass for white.

500 Year's later , Documentary

Examines the many problems afflicting Africans today, including rampant crime, poor education, HIV/AIDS, poverty and more.

I thought it was on youtube but you have to pay to watch it....:usure: which you should/could. Still check it out!

Eve's Bayou, Film

Over the course of a long, hot Louisiana summer, a 10-year-old black girl, Eve Batiste (Jurnee Smollett), discovers that her family's affluent existence is merely a facade. The philandering of her suave doctor father, Louis (Samuel L. Jackson), creates a rift, throwing Eve's mother, Roz (Lynn Whitfield), and teenage sister, Cisely (Meagan Good), into emotional turmoil. Eve, though, manages to find some solace with her quirky psychic aunt, Mozelle (Debbi Morgan

Just a black film I love. I thought this was on youtube too but I think it's a pay thing too.

Basquiat, Film Netflix

Despite living a life of extreme poverty in Brooklyn, graffiti artist Jean-Michel Basquiat (Jeffrey Wright) strives to rise up through the heady New York art scene of the 1970s and 1980s. He becomes the brightest star of neo-Expressionist painting and one of the most successful painters of his time, and even develops a friendship with Andy Warhol (David Bowie). But Basquiat's tumultuous life, specifically his addiction to heroin, overshadows his rise to fame, threatening all.

This is currently on Netflix

Short film that a thread was made about but didn't get enough shine, it's really good. Shout out to @ridedolo

Thread: Futurestates: White...would you do it :mjpls:

It's another sweltering 120-degree winter day with five more days to Christmas and hot is the only season left in New York City. Global warming has become a tangible threat to survival and everyone is creating new ways to protect themselves from the sun. Bato, an expecting father enters into a race against the sun, the birth, and his own identity to save his family as he is forced to sell the new currency of this world.

Rosewood, the Film and Documentary. Why not both?

The Rosewood massacre was a violent, racially motivated massacre of blacks and destruction of a black town that took place during the first week of January 1923 in rural Levy County, FL.

Contribute :feedme: I would do more but there are so many and I didn't want to take up all of them.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - IMDb
" Faced with both her hot-tempered father's fading health and melting ice-caps that flood her ramshackle bayou community and unleash ancient aurochs, six-year-old Hushpuppy must learn the ways of courage and love."

I haven't watched it myself yet but I've been meaning to

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
***Should this be moved to The film room????***

Come post must see or post your favorites Black films and documentaries. Lets celebrate Blacks in film. These may have their own threads but I thought this would be a good/fun thread and you might find some gems you didn't know about. Also you can post movies/documentaries you know about but haven't seen yet. Also if there are specific directors or writers we should check out add them. I'm at work I may add and make corrections later.

I'll start it off.

Bamboozled, 2000 Satire Film

A blistering satire of network television's pitfalls and prejudices, a humorous look at how race, ratings and the pursuit of power lead to a television writer's stunning rise and tragic downfall. Pierre Delacroix, a young, Harvard-educated man, who is the sole person of color, writing for an upstart network with floundering ratings. Despite several attempts, Delacroix has yet to see any of his concepts go into production.

When Black Men ruled the World, Documentary

Synopsis

For nearly two hundred years now, White scholars have removed Black people from Egypt, Egypt from Africa and Africa from world history. They have always taught that Egypt is in the Near East, the Middle East, the Mediterranean and even the Fertile Crescent. They have never informed the world that Egypt is and always has been on the Continent of Africa.

While White publishers controlled everything written and taught about Africa - - and often published books stating that the Ancient Egyptians were White - - no one, except Black people, complained. However, since Black people began publishing their own work and using the internet to tell our story, suddenly everyone is interested in setting Black people straight by insisting that the Ancient Egyptians were neither Black nor white, but Arabs, like the Arabs of today.

We disagree. Arabs invaded Egypt in the 7th Century AD, long after Ancient Egyptian civilization had declined and faded away. Arabs have no more connection to Ancient Egypt than Europeans have to Ancient America.

Many have argued that, even if the Ancient Egyptians were Black Africans, modern African Americans, who lay claim to Egyptian civilization, are not akin to them because their ancestors were West Africans. This reflects a lack of knowledge about African history. Virtually all West African people trace their ancestry to the northeast and ultimately to the Nile Valley. A number of Black scholars have revealed evidence of the ancient migratory trail from the Nile across the continent to West Africa and the Atlantic Ocean. Therefore, modern African Americans do indeed have a direct link to the Ancient Egyptian people.

We understand that most White people and Arabs have great difficulty imagining Black Africans to have laid the foundation of civilization. We sincerely regret that Western racist propaganda has so narrowed their worldview. But, at this site we deal with evidence - - not propaganda, not passion, not preconceived notions or white supremacy.

I haven't watched yet

Immitation of life 1959, Film

This is not a film made or directed by a black individualbut it's still a must see for us.

A struggling young actress with a six-year-old daughter sets up housekeeping with a homeless black widow and her light-skinned eight-year-old daughter who rejects her mother by trying to pass for white.

500 Year's later , Documentary

Examines the many problems afflicting Africans today, including rampant crime, poor education, HIV/AIDS, poverty and more.

I thought it was on youtube but you have to pay to watch it....:usure: which you should/could. Still check it out!

Eve's Bayou, Film

Over the course of a long, hot Louisiana summer, a 10-year-old black girl, Eve Batiste (Jurnee Smollett), discovers that her family's affluent existence is merely a facade. The philandering of her suave doctor father, Louis (Samuel L. Jackson), creates a rift, throwing Eve's mother, Roz (Lynn Whitfield), and teenage sister, Cisely (Meagan Good), into emotional turmoil. Eve, though, manages to find some solace with her quirky psychic aunt, Mozelle (Debbi Morgan

Just a black film I love. I thought this was on youtube too but I think it's a pay thing too.

Basquiat, Film Netflix

Despite living a life of extreme poverty in Brooklyn, graffiti artist Jean-Michel Basquiat (Jeffrey Wright) strives to rise up through the heady New York art scene of the 1970s and 1980s. He becomes the brightest star of neo-Expressionist painting and one of the most successful painters of his time, and even develops a friendship with Andy Warhol (David Bowie). But Basquiat's tumultuous life, specifically his addiction to heroin, overshadows his rise to fame, threatening all.

This is currently on Netflix

Short film that a thread was made about but didn't get enough shine, it's really good. Shout out to @ridedolo

Thread: Futurestates: White...would you do it :mjpls:

It's another sweltering 120-degree winter day with five more days to Christmas and hot is the only season left in New York City. Global warming has become a tangible threat to survival and everyone is creating new ways to protect themselves from the sun. Bato, an expecting father enters into a race against the sun, the birth, and his own identity to save his family as he is forced to sell the new currency of this world.

Rosewood, the Film and Documentary. Why not both?

The Rosewood massacre was a violent, racially motivated massacre of blacks and destruction of a black town that took place during the first week of January 1923 in rural Levy County, FL.

Contribute :feedme: I would do more but there are so many and I didn't want to take up all of them.

Nice..........and 500 Years later should never be slept on....that brother did an excellent job with that and also the sequel "Motherland...

Rosewood was great. I already made multiple threads on that tragedy.......Black Wall Street.....and Eves Bayou is a GOAT and underrated....can't forget Denzel's Portrayal of Malcolm.......

I will say one of my favorite not listed will have to be "The Spook That Sat By The door"......

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
girlhood.jpg

Girlhood was an amazing movie. I teared up at some parts, and you start to really root for the protagonist. It's about this young girl who is being abused by her brother, and doesn't really have much going on. She meets this group of bad girls, and the film is about her adventures with them, and how she deals with her home life.