BLACK IN THE WORKPLACE “etiquette”: Just starting out edition *A THREAD*

Kuma the Bear

The Ultimate King of Iron Fist
Daps
Reppin
Mishima Industries

- Do not say anything to anyone that can be used against you. Think about how what you’re saying would sound in front of HR. THIS IS NOT A SAFE SPACE.

- When you exchange numbers with your colleagues be weary that your TikTok videos will appear on their TikTok FYP

- Take the initiative and ask about their hobbies and interests. It makes you seem less cold. Nurture that relationship, even if they’re not your “favourite” person.

- Have lunch with people as often as you can.

- Keep a cheery aura about you… For me this looks like smiling and remaining upbeat when in conversation.

- Be weary of what you say on Teams messages.

- Always dress to impress, when they say “dress however you like” it’s a trap. Come correct! People are looking for a reason to pick on you, don’t give it to them!

:ehh:

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
Document. Document. Document. Especially your 1 on 1 meetings.

Create a “work personality / persona” = Talk about your dog / cat, sports, other safe topics.

Create a fake social media profile in case you get asked to exchange (follow safe accounts - National Geographic, etc)

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
most of those are fine and should be common sense

actually try to be good at your job is another. all the networking and fake niceties might get you opportunities to advance, but when it comes to layoff times (unless all jobs are getting wiped out), the people who are actually good at the job and make other peoples jobs easier/will be able to keep things running smoothly after a reduction tend to be the ones who survive from my experience. at the end of the day that’s what make managers look better, not who kissed the most ass.

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
Man FUKK All that.

- Go to work to MAKE MONEY and Not "Friends".
- "Coworkers" 9-10 ain't your "Friend".
- They don't like you cause you are Black, so fukk EM.
- "They" will turn on you at any given moment, so Keep "Your Business" to Yourself.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
I don't work in a big corporate place, but I don't agree with any of that. I believe in keeping it real.

Just go to work and stack money, don't let them slap those golden handcuffs on.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Be good at what you do. Don’t tell any coworker anything about your private life. You’re a Muslim. Who prays 5 times a day. And be ready to check anyone who steps out of line. If you really want to scare people speak slow and calm. But have on your face a condescending smile. :obama:

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man FUKK All that.

- Go to work to MAKE MONEY and Not "Friends".
- "Coworkers" 9-10 ain't your "Friend".
- They don't like you cause you are Black, so fukk EM.
- "They" will turn on you at any given moment, so Keep "Your Business" to Yourself.
I don’t really see how that conflicts with the OP. it didn’t say to be friends or tell them shyt about yourself. it just said be nice to your coworkers, which should be common sense :manny:

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
I don’t really see how that conflicts with the OP. it didn’t say to be friends or tell them shyt about yourself. it just said be nice to your coworkers, which should be common sense :manny:

I don't have an issue with most of it, but I do have issues with this:

-Take the initiative and ask about their hobbies and interests. It makes you seem less cold. Nurture that relationship, even if they’re not your “favourite” person

-Have lunch with people as often as you can.

I don't go to work to "Socialize". I already know those folks can be cut-throat and backstabbing.

A lot of times, too many of US think we have to "Make other people Comfortable" with US as Black Folks.

I'm not doing all that.

Let your work speak for itself, they aren't going to like you regardless.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't have an issue with most of it, but I do have issues with this:

-Take the initiative and ask about their hobbies and interests. It makes you seem less cold. Nurture that relationship, even if they’re not your “favourite” person

-Have lunch with people as often as you can.

I don't go to work to "Socialize". I already know those folks can be cut-throat and backstabbing.

A lot of times too many of US think we have to make other people "Comfortable" with US as Black Folks.

I'm not doing all that.

Let your work speak for itself, they aren't going to like you regardless.
I think there is an art to pretending to be nice to people and interested in what they have to say/their life without talking about yourself too much. that’s what I do.

I kind of agree on the lunch thing, but that’s because all the people in my office used to eat out, I was not trying to waste my money like that or eat out with them, but I would still go eat in the break room/lunch area and interact with people there if they wanted to sit at my table or whatever. never told them anything personal just random small talk about sports or pop culture shyt.

I generally agree that you’re there to work not socialize, but there are ways to go about it without looking like a loner/weirdo. that shyt might get you ostricized.

smartest thing to do is just be good at the job tho and helpful and nice to others when it comes to actual work related problems. that should honestly be enough to keep people from thinking you’re some antisocial mf.

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
I think there is an art to pretending to be nice to people and interested in what they have to say/their life without talking about yourself too much. that’s what I do.

I kind of agree on the lunch thing, but that’s because all the people in my office used to eat out, I was not trying to waste my money like that or eat out with them, but I would still go eat in the break room/lunch area and interact with people there if they wanted to sit at my table or whatever. never told them anything personal just random small talk about sports or pop culture shyt.

I generally agree that you’re there to work not socialize, but there are ways to go about it without looking like a loner/weirdo. that shyt might get you ostricized.

smartest thing to do is just be good at the job tho and helpful and nice to others when it comes to actual work related problems. that should honestly be enough to keep people from thinking you’re some antisocial mf.

I agree with you mostly.

Honestly I have more of a problem with the "Black People Need To Do This" to be "Accepted" BS Undertones of the original post/list.

Too may of our folks have this delusion that "Being A Certain Way" or "Not Doing Such and Such" is going to make "Them Folks", like/accept US.

Shyt is foolishness, and Low-Key C00NING.

The reality is even if you follow the list to a tee, "They" are still going to Hate/Not-Accept US.

ESPECIALLY, if you got a Promotion "Over Them", that is when you really see the BS.

I was in Management at multiple jobs, so I peeped the game.

Had some Old White Broad, turn on the "Crocodile Tears", when I had to give her a Performance Evaluation.
Soon as the White Manger came in, the "Tears" stopped, just on some Bullshyt!

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
"Have lunch with people as often as you can.

Keep a cheery aura about you… For me this looks like smiling and remaining upbeat when in conversation."

Only if you waant to give off people pleaser, safe negro energy. In life, the more selective you are with your time, the more valuable people treat it.

Tips that work for me:
- document everything
- help people that need it but never all the time
- talk to managers like they're coworkers, they fukking are
- HR is there to protect the company, not you
- expect to be fired every week
- volunteer for the shyt tasks until you become proficient in them
- become a resource to the temps and new hires
- befriend the women, more than the men but do not imagine they are gay

Van Cleef

All Star
Daps
"Have lunch with people as often as you can.

Keep a cheery aura about you… For me this looks like smiling and remaining upbeat when in conversation."

Only if you waant to give off people pleaser, safe negro energy. In life, the more selective you are with your time, the more valuable people treat it.

Tips that work for me:
- document everything
- help people that need it but never all the time
- talk to managers like they're coworkers, they fukking are
- HR is there to protect the company, not you
- expect to be fired every week
- volunteer for the shyt tasks until you become proficient in them
- become a resource to the temps and new hires
- befriend the women, more than the men but do not imagine they are gay
a lot of nikkas on here are already safe negros