Black Star: No Fear of Time /// NEW ALBUM 5.3.22

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Honestly the first black star album didn't live up to the hype when they were in their prime. This might have a few bangers but not expecting much. :hubie:

That album came out in the Ruff Ryders/NL/Cash Money era....

The Backpack era was still in the underground era. It wasn't cool to be listening to that. Would u drug dealer play Umi Says over Back That Azz Up or Bling Bling? Probably not.

Looking back on it, Rawkus had that backpack crowd spending some chips.

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
That episode was fantastic and made me want to listen to all the other episodes. Production values on point.

Only thing is Mos’s mumbling makes him hard to understand sometimes

Questlove is behind the production. Its the one podcast I make sure I only listen to in good headphones. Whole first season was amazing.

erker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Netherlands
2nd song is alright

first one is kind of trash

hitek set the bar too high for their first shyt

they can put out great music but they need iconic beats
first beat and chrous even was some throwaway shyt

id rather have them with a more dynamic style, rather than a beat that sounds exactly how they rap

shyt like Get By for talib suited him because it hit the strong points that his rapping doesnt
when you got chaotic loops, it doesnt match to me because they rap in chaotic loops and it sounds like drivel :yeshrug:

I think thats the same shyt Common did right with BE .... the beats sent him in a direction where he wasnt just rambling over and over

To make it clear, you DON'T want Mos and Kweli on Madvillainy or Piñata type beats? Madlib is one of the most versatile beatmakers of all time, with timeless classics under his belt. We are lucky to have him attached to this project. Let alone for the whole project.

Of course it would have been nice to have Hi-Tek attached, but what has he even done since the millennium that was worthwhile?

Watch this new album be a classic.

Last edited:

gtj1982

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
America's Darkside--210
That album came out in the Ruff Ryders/NL/Cash Money era....

The Backpack era was still in the underground era. It wasn't cool to be listening to that. Would u drug dealer play Umi Says over Back That Azz Up or Bling Bling? Probably not.

Looking back on it, Rawkus had that backpack crowd spending some chips.

I was in college in that era. I bought Blackstar when it dropped. I also bought NL/Cash money records when they dropped. I was deep into hip hop at that stage I loved it all. The album just wasnt as good as I anticipated. No amount of negs is going to change my mind. :unimpressed:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
24 long years. Can't wait to check it out. Still bumping the original LP till this day. Yes I've listened to all their solo's and other work but I always wondered why they didn't do a Black Star album in-between their solo's. We should be on the like 4th or 5th Black Star LP by now. I like the title and that Madlib is behind the boards (Though I feel Hi-Tek should come back too)

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Is Mos back on track mentally and skillwise?

Cant remember the last dope thing hes done...his recent features(ASAP Rocky, KSG) were mid at best

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
To make it clear, you DON'T want Mos and Kweli on Madvillainy or Piñata type beats? Madlib is one of the most versatile beatmakers of all time, with timeless classics under his belt. We are lucky to have him attached to this project. Let alone for the whole project.

Of course it would have been nice to have Hi-Tek attached, but what has he even done since the millennium that was worthwhile?

Watch this new album be a classic.

you can interject your opinion over mine thats not gonna change shyt

they already dropped the first single friday and scrubbed that shyt from the internet

madlib is obviously a legend but saying everything he makes is classic is cap
if that were the case Freddie Gibbs would actually be popular based on his music

you missed the point with the hi-tek reference too, its not hi-tek persay that would deliver... its the type of beats they need
for example the last DeLaSoul album was mid ... fans donated to get them back and they squandered it on dream collabs with fukking estelle and usher ... indie rock dudes and shyt nobody wanted

its not exactly a bad album just like this one wont be completely... but you arent gonna get any real bangers, there's millions of producers at this point that can provide you with all types of classic shyt like theives in the night, etc
waiting this many years for lo-fi abstract backpack rap that took 4.5 years to finish isnt exactly crushing the game ... if they closed their eyes and picked a random pete rock beat and rapped over it tonight, it would immediately be better than the lead single they posted

the super fan shyt is weird, cant hide behind pinata, madlib, talib or mos just based off name
DeLaSoul is my favorite group but some of their shyt is mid...its cool that they keep dropping and nostalgic but they need to use better resources
its no different than us all laughing at Nas' beat selection for decades.... he could easily just give us a DJ Premier project... he doesnt respect us enough to do that

erker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Netherlands
you can interject your opinion over mine thats not gonna change shyt

they already dropped the first single friday and scrubbed that shyt from the internet

madlib is obviously a legend but saying everything he makes is classic is cap
if that were the case Freddie Gibbs would actually be popular based on his music

you missed the point with the hi-tek reference too, its not hi-tek persay that would deliver... its the type of beats they need
for example the last DeLaSoul album was mid ... fans donated to get them back and they squandered it on dream collabs with fukking estelle and usher ... indie rock dudes and shyt nobody wanted

its not exactly a bad album just like this one wont be completely... but you arent gonna get any real bangers, there's millions of producers at this point that can provide you with all types of classic shyt like theives in the night, etc
waiting this many years for lo-fi abstract backpack rap that took 4.5 years to finish isnt exactly crushing the game ... if they closed their eyes and picked a random pete rock beat and rapped over it tonight, it would immediately be better than the lead single they posted

the super fan shyt is weird, cant hide behind pinata, madlib, talib or mos just based off name
DeLaSoul is my favorite group but some of their shyt is mid...its cool that they keep dropping and nostalgic but they need to use better resources
its no different than us all laughing at Nas' beat selection for decades.... he could easily just give us a DJ Premier project... he doesnt respect us enough to do that

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. What I don't understand is how you are already counting on this album being a failure, when you havent even heard it yet. Seems silly to me.

The single hasn't been scrubbed from YouTube. It's right there and its pretty incredible :

Last edited: