Black Youth and Black American Pop culture of the 1950s

Sensei

Hallowed Be Thy Game
Daps
i studied the history of pop music extensively in a class i took in high school. the term pop music was first used in 1926

Reference, we are talking in mainstream terms. The first acts of Pop Culture where people like Michael Jackson, Madonna,Prince ,Sheila E, and others.

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Reference, we are talking in mainstream terms. The first acts of Pop Culture where people like Michael Jackson, Madonna,Prince ,Sheila E, and others.

^Um no lol. as in a mainstream term it first was coined in 1926. Those are simply 80s pop music people. Each decade had different people of course.

Sensei

Hallowed Be Thy Game
Daps
^Um no lol. as in a mainstream term it first was coined in 1926. Those are simply 80s pop music people. Each decade had different people of course.

Name references and examples it was used in 1926, the pop culture we know today existed as what we know as nationally acclaimed musical artists like those of the 80s.

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Name references and examples it was used in 1926, the pop culture we know today existed as what we know as nationally acclaimed musical artists like those of the 80s.

I cant give the exact example, but the Oxford English Dictionary lists it as being first used in 1926. Which is the same date i learned it originating in my History of Pop Music class in High School along time ago. But it wasnt EXTENSIVELY used until the 1950s

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
a damn shame what nygga done turned into

if that aint the most cac shyt i've ever heard. take this dap undap, neg rep nikka

Martin-Luther-King-Jr-Photograph-C10053284.jpeg

.......man, we fucced up.

ironically it's partly Dr King's fault breh. he wanted us to get all buddy buddy with white people. All that led to was us getting put into the damn ghettos. nikka was tight, but he was a damn c00n.

Last edited:

Supercoolmayo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Master Roshi's Island
if that aint the most cac shyt i've ever heard. take this dap undap, neg rep nikka

ironically it's partly Dr King's fault breh. he wanted us to get all buddy buddy with white people. All that led to was us getting put into the damn ghettos. nikka was tight, but he was a damn c00n.
:snoop: Mygod calling MLK a c00n

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
:snoop: Mygod calling MLK a c00n

maybe i was to harsh, and i appreciate his influence, but even he realized his errors toward the end of his life. it's to bad he was assassinated before he could correct them. he wasnt about blacks getting their own shyt, starting their own enterprises, he was about trying to get all "buddy buddy" with white people instead of getting our own fukking shyt. seriously, preaching non violence in movement that ended up not really changing shyt and only lead us into the ghettos. that's why white people love his ass, because he was complacent.

HollowPoints2

Don Makaveli.
Daps
Reppin
East Coast
You MADE me do some research on the "spook hunters"

This is where the SHIFT in fear started.Very interesting.

During the late 1940s, shortly after the end of World War II, a number of southern-California whites -- largely comprised by war veterans -- began banding together and ended up forming such “anti-minority gangs” as “Hell’s Angels” and the Los Angeles-based “Spook Hunters”.

Then, it was “on”. Members of those groups, and frequently with the backing of theLos Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, began carrying out violent attacks against black and Hispanic individuals as well as predominantly-black-and-Hispanic communities. Quite a number of blacks and Hispanics were maimed and murdered and many of their homes and businesses were badly damaged or destroyed altogether.

However, those attacks did not go unanswered. In almost no time, blacks formed their own gangs and Americans of Mexican descent formed their own. Then they went about the business of defending themselves and their communities from the whites who were out to get them, and they also carried out retaliatory strikes on various all-white communities.

To make a long story short, by the early 1950s, the white-racist groups had ceased to carry out attacks against blacks and Hispanics. In fact, by that time, they never came anywhere near a black or Hispanic community and always did every thing they could to avoid getting into “rumbles” with the blacks and browns. Things had reached the point where those whites were downright afraid of the people they had been knocking around and bashing just a short time before.

The most remarkable thing about that reversal was when the blacks and Hispanics were under siege by white racists, they did not whine and complain about it to the media and influential white liberals in Washington and other high places. Nor did they get down on their knees and plead with government for protection.

They took care of business the good-old American way. They took matters into their own hands.

Nearly identical to the ways in which the settlers in the Old West frequently banded together to defend themselves against attacks from outlaws and others who were out to get them, the blacks and Hispanics of 1940s and 1950s Los Angeles banded together to defend themselves against the ones who wanted to harm them.

One of the most significant things that grew out of the self-defense on the parts of blacks and Hispanics in Los Angeles was a spirit of self-reliance. During the 1950s and early 1960s, the vast majority of black and Hispanic neighborhoods in that city, including many of the poorest ones, were essentially self-contained.