Bobby Bonilla got paid today

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
Iverson lost that reebok money in his divorce.

Naw that contract was signed before he was married so he still gets it. It was a lifetime contract if I remember correctly. I'm speaking soley about the money he gets yearly, not about the money that his agent/lawyer had stashed for him.

neph27

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yo how is this a win for Bonilla

With inflation he's getting killed

He could've taken that lump sum and invested it properly, he could have had steady growth on this momey

Grifter

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Watching
Someone break down his contract for me:wow:

How did the deal present itself?
Deferred-money deals have been going on for a long time, but the Mets did more of them than most. The first deferred-money deal we know about is Darryl Strawberry's 1985 contract, in which the Mets deferred 40 percent of his 1990 $1.8 million team option ($700,000) at a 5.1 percent interest rate. The deal, which pays out $1.64 million from 2004 to 2033, was obtained through a life insurance company.

Bonilla's agent, Dennis Gilbert, was an insurance agent at the same time he developed into a superagent (Gilbert's clients included Bonilla, Barry Bonds, Jose Canseco and Danny Tartabull), so he was more uniquely prepared to understand annuity-type payouts than other agents.

How does the deal actually work?
The Mets owed Bonilla $5.9 million for the 2000 season and no longer wanted him. So the club negotiated with Gilbert to attach an 8 percent annual interest rate to that money. With the clock starting in 2000, that adds up to $29.8 million. The first installment of the payout came on July 1, 2011, and the Mets will pay their sixth installment on Friday.

Madoff scammed the Mets so didn't mind this deal at the time.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
My bad he lost half of it.

Tawanna Iverson Was Awarded Allen Iverson $32 Million Reebok Trust Fund | BSO
If Iverson broke any of the provisions and it led to a divorce, he would have to immediately put $100k in a trust fund for each of his 5 kids, all property would be transferred over to Tawanna, all remaining debt would be solely Iverson’s responsibility, Tawanna and the 5 kids would be owed 25c for every $1 Iverson made for the rest of his career and finally…….

THE FULL $32 MILLION REEBOK TRUST WOULD GO TO TAWANNA

A man would have to be crazy to sign something like right? A.I. signed the contract and I think you know what happens next.

He broke several of the provisions, Tawanna refiled the divorce petition and was awarded everything that was in post-nuptial agreement when the divorce became final in 2013 including the $32 million.

But there is a twist and I have tried to figure out how it should be looked at. Before the divorce became final, Tawanna even though she didn’t have to, agreed to give Iverson half of the $32 million Reebok trust when he turns 55.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps

He could've taken that lump sum and invested it properly, he could have had steady growth on this momey

Its an easy when he flipped 5 mil into 20+ mil.
Lump sum is good in so instances, security is good in other, it depends on where you are in life.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD

What investment you got that's returning a GUARANTEED 8% on $5.9 million principle for a DECADE :usure:. Especially at that time we know one of the biggest hustles was real estate and had he done that like everyone else, he would have gone belly-up once the 07 crash came.

$5.9 million in '99 has the buying power of $8.6 million today.

Last edited:

FooFighters

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
The greatest contract there ever was :wow:

Is there any definitive answer on whether or not Steve Young is still getting paid off of the USFL deal?
Sad thing (for me and fellow St. Louisans) is rumor has it that because of that deal, the NBA will never seriously consider moving a team to St. Louis or starting a franchise here while that deal is still going on.

Wait, that deal is still going on?

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finessed the fukk out of the Mets Black Excellence

Not necessarily finessed. Basically a form of an annuity. Not like the Mets themselves are paying out 30M.

Many investors would consider 8% a year a very good return.