Bollywood coming out with a movie about street rappers

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Supposed to be loosely based on a couple true stories. Hindi street rap from the Mumbai slums is really in its first generation right now so it has some work to do quality wise, but there are guys coming up who at least got real passion and real stories so they ain't manufactured/industry produced. The actor portraying them in the film did his own rapping so it's a bit uninspired but at least he learned something of a flow.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Voice of the Streets :mjlol:

Why is that strange to you? These guys are literally from the slums of Mumbai, hip-hop is the natural music of protest, it takes over the streets wherever it goes.

This is one of the guys the movie is based on, the one who the "voice of the streets" line came from. Like I said it's first generation so it's not great technically (this kid was basically inventing Hindi-language hip hop from scratch), but he grew up in the slums of the biggest city in India alone since he was 14. You can't deny his street cred.

(Click on "English (United Kingdom)" in the options to get English subtitles)

That could be fire, tbh.

I imagine a lot of them have some wild ass stories to tell.

Bollywood screws up 99% of the stories it gets so I don't have any hope for this one, but you right that they have to have wild-ass material to work with.

Last edited:

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Bollywood screws up 99% of the stories it gets so I don't have any hope for this one, but you right that they have to have wild-ass material to work with.

Hopefully it gives some inspiration for others to shine light on it. shyt would be probably be tight.

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
hip-hop is the voice of this disposable and despised world wide

Palestinian rappers form alternative voices of resistance within the Israeli-Palestinian struggle

The film features three young Cuban rappers: Soandry, Magyori, and Mikki and centers on their experiences in the Cuban underground hip hop scene.

"This is part of culture, this is part of our common culture, so it needs to be treated with great caution," Putin said at a meeting of the Presidential Council for Culture and Art in St. Petersburg on Saturday. "If it is impossible to stop, then it is necessary to navigate and guide accordingly," Putin added

Putin's war on rap unites Russia's hip hop artists - CNN

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
hip-hop is the voice of this disposable and despised world wide

Palestinian rappers form alternative voices of resistance within the Israeli-Palestinian struggle

The film features three young Cuban rappers: Soandry, Magyori, and Mikki and centers on their experiences in the Cuban underground hip hop scene.

"This is part of culture, this is part of our common culture, so it needs to be treated with great caution," Putin said at a meeting of the Presidential Council for Culture and Art in St. Petersburg on Saturday. "If it is impossible to stop, then it is necessary to navigate and guide accordingly," Putin added

Putin's war on rap unites Russia's hip hop artists - CNN

Great knowledge drop.

I watched this flick called No one knows about Persian cats about the underground music scene in Iran, where music is completely banned by the government. The hip-hop group profiled in the movie is Hichkas