Boxing Sparring Stories and rumors

Adonis

All Star
Daps
Reppin
I'm the greatest, something like Ali in his prime
Post sparring stories that you heard about Boxers

A young Mayweather sparred Pernell Whitaker but I've heard stories that Floyd got the better of sweet pea and vice verse.

Erik Morales sparred a young Mayweather, proclaiming that his shoulder roll technique wouldn't work on him. Apparently he got the better of him.

By Angelo Dundee's account Ali seemingly looked horrible in sparring and almost never won rounds.

”Ali hasn't won a round in the gym since I've known him," Dundee told "Sports Illustrated" in 1980. "He's the worst gym fighter in the world. But he always showed me flashes: 10 seconds, 15 seconds."

Wald allegedly sparred and knocked Wilder out:mjpls:

Benavidez gave Bivol good work in sparring.

There's a story Dana white told Joe Rogan that he saw Roger Mayweather spar a cocky heavyweight and beat the hell out of him.

Last edited:

Adonis

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Wald kicked Usyk out of his training camp because he was too good.
Sonny Liston was pushing Foreman back in sparring.
Allegedly Sugar Ray Leonard and Roy Jones Jr sparred and an eye witness said it was one of the greatest sessions they'd ever seen.
I think I heard somewhere that in camp Oscar was getting beat up by Margarito.

Adonis

All Star
Daps
Reppin
terry norris largely fell apart at the end of his career because he got into too many sparring wars including some with his own brother
:francis: I heard someone say that sparring is what destroys boxers and that story reminds me of the saying. It's also sad to hear that he got into these wars with his brother.

On another note, James Toney used hard sparring as a way to get into shape.

Alpha Dog

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Pac fighting on almost even terms with Khan
Mosley sparring Porter
GGG sparring Chavez Jr and schooling him
Mosley sparring GGG
Holyfield and Tua sparring before first Tyson fight

Ali and Roy Tiger Williams...one of the few Ali sparring partners that really did try to kick Ali's ass..so much Ali had to throw him out his camp

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Bernard ‘Superbad’ Mays was known as one of the most talented boxers in the heyday of the Kronk Gym. Tommy Hearns and Manny Steward have talked about his talent and how good he was in sparring.

He was a major, major alcoholic though. He had a nice pro record against limited opposition, and had to retire in his mid 20s due to a seriously inflamed pancreas.

He drank himself to death in his early 30s.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
James Toney-Danny Green

its also one of the reasons why he is talking the way he is talking now

Same thing with Terry Norris. He suffered some brutal knockouts (Julian Jackson), but due to his shaky chin, didn’t suffer the prolonged beatings in fights that are usually most dangerous. But he and his brother Orlin were known for hard sparring.

Terry also had almost 300 amateur fights which surely didn’t help. I’m sure the long amateur career of Donald Curry played a big part in his bad condition now.

Terry used to be a pretty articulate guy, but is difficult to understand nowadays. His wife also said it’s scary to sleep next to him because he will throw punches in his sleep.