BREAKING: Coalition of 90 lawyers domestic and abroad, including at least 20 that work in the Biden Admin, are calling on Biden to halt arms to Israel

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Attorneys inside and outside the administration urge Biden to cut off arms to Israel​

So far more than 90 lawyers have signed on to a legal letter alleging Israel’s conduct in Gaza violates U.S. and international law.

Bombed out and destroyed buildings are pictured.

An aerial view of buildings destroyed by Israeli air strikes in the Jabalia camp for Palestinian refugees in Gaza City. | Yahya Hassouna/AFP via Getty Images
A coalition of lawyers domestic and abroad — including at least 20 that work in the Biden administration — are calling on President Joe Biden to halt military aid to Israel, arguing that its actions in Gaza do not comply with U.S. and international humanitarian law.

They plan to send a letter arguing their case to Attorney General Merrick Garland and general counsels across the administration in the coming days. In the letter, obtained by POLITICO, the lawyers contend that Israel likely violated U.S. statutes including the Arms Export Control Act and Leahy Laws as well as the Geneva Conventions prohibiting disproportionate attacks on civilian populations.

The group that drafted the letter includes current attorneys from the Department of Homeland Security and the State Department. While the letter is still circulating for signatures, so far more than 90 lawyers have signed on, including from the departments of Justice, Labor and Energy, along with lawyers at the European Commission and in the private sector.

It’s the latest sign of dissent inside the administration over its Israel policy. It also comes at a key time — a week before the White House faces a May 8 deadline to certify to Congress that its ally’s military actions involving American-supplied weapons adhere to U.S. or international law.
Over the weekend, Reuters reported that some senior U.S. officials told Secretary of State Antony Blinken in an internal memo that they doubt the credibility of Israel’s assurances on the use of U.S. supplied weapons in line with international law. And in February, more than 800 officials in the U.S. and abroad signed an open letter of dissent over their government’s support for Israel’s war in Gaza.

The lawyers argue that civil servants have a duty to give advice free from improper political direction, and cite indiscriminate bombardment of the besieged enclave resulting in high civilian casualties, the strikes on aid convoys and bombings of schools and hospitals as examples of violations.

“The law is clear and aligned with the majority of Americans who believe the U.S. should cease arms shipments to Israel until it stops its military operation in Gaza,” the letter states, citing polling showing most Biden supporters want an arms embargo imposed.

The letter additionally calls for the Justice Department to investigate whether any U.S. citizens serving in the Israeli military may have committed war crimes that could be prosecuted under U.S. law.

The White House and Department of Justice did not immediately respond to requests to comment.

The letter comes just weeks after Congress approved roughly $26.3 billion in total aid for the region, including about $15 billion in military assistance to Israel.

“This is a moment where the U.S. government is violating its own laws and policy,” said a Department of Justice staffer who signed the letter and was granted anonymity to speak candidly to not risk their job. “The administration may be seeing silence or only a handful of resignations, but they are really not aware of the magnitude of discontent and dissent among the rank and file.”

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is going to mar Bidens presidency irrevocably

America in general has been an absolute b*stard on this particular issue.

Jews were locked up in ghettos pre world war 2

Jews are locking up Palestinians in the Gaza Ghetto in 2024 aided by the United States.

Karma is going to be a bytch

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
This is a joke. fukk all of them.

They didn’t say shyt in November, December, January, February or March.

Now it’s too late. Most of Gaza is destroyed and congress just past another aid package. And Israel is STILL murdering people as I type this.

Jews control this government and country. And the ones they can’t control they pay off or blackmail.

You don’t get to watch 10’a of thousands of women and children get slaughtered then have a moral compass. Where were than when Rashida Talib got thrown under the bus and ran over by her own party?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Doubt it makes a difference.

Although I still don't understand Biden's loyalty to Israel. Not only is it unethical, but it's a political liability, hurts his reelection chances and will stain his legacy. Not to mention Netanyahu is a Trump ally anyway. Hopefully the AIPAC money is worth it...

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Although I still don't understand Biden's loyalty to Israel. Not only is it unethical, but it's a political liability, hurts his reelection chances and will stain his legacy. Not to mention Netanyahu is a Trump ally anyway. Hopefully the AIPAC money is worth it...
so we're just gonna ignore that Biden is trying to win the general election, not the Democratic primary, and that the majority of American voters support Israel? that's a blatant denial of reality

i don't give a fukk about israel myself, but there's no scenario where an American president can say that. especially after Hamas parachuted into Israel and killed a thousand people :dead:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
so we're just gonna ignore that Biden is trying to win the general election, not the Democratic primary, and that the majority of American voters support Israel? that's a blatant denial of reality

i don't give a fukk about israel, but there's no scenario where an American president can say that. especially after Hamas parachuted into Israel and killed a thousand people

...and support for Israel is astronomically lower among Democratic leaning voters.

Most extreme pro-Israel people are Republicans and would never vote for Biden anyway. So sucking Israel's dikk is NOT winning Biden any votes.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Its not all that hard to understand once you realize US foreign policy is pretty much set in stone regardless of whose president.

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
Honestly this pro-Palestine shyt is the biggest psyop Iran ever pulled :wow: and mass hysteria event.

They literally parachuted in and killed 1000s indiscriminately. Was launching 100s of missiles a day into civilian until they got low on supply. But since Israel has Iran some and bunkers they barely even hurt anybody.

Then Hamas retreats and takes hostages women children and elderly included, retreats back to underground bunkers under civilian populations. Hamas has no military bases, so they are mixed in and under civilian population. They literally use human shields to prevent Israel from attacking.

So what option do Israel have? You want them to go knock door to door looking for Hamas and getting boobytrapped, nawl sometimes I got to give them the same terror that they give you, radical terrorists only respect on thing, and that absolute violence that they themselves live by. When you hide and mix with your division population you are putting your own people in danger. So it’s Hamas and Palestine fault that all the civilians have died there.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

NY Post is owned by News Corp.

In 1976, Rupert Murdoch, creator of Fox News, bought the Post for US$30.5 million. Since 1993, the Post has been owned by News Corporation and its replacement, News Corp. Its distribution ranked 4th in the US in 2018.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
breh, i don't see some scenario appearing in the next few months where Biden can tell Israel to go fukk itself, and it helps him win the general election. that does not seem like the reality in this country

So Reagan can get tough on Israel (and still be extremely popular with the GOP at that) but there's nothing Biden can do? :childplease:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Can’t front, but real shyt

Stop sending our tax dollars to line up politicians over there.. knowing damn well all thats not going directly to the war, the people, or the military all while killing 70% women and kids and destroying another races/cultures infrastructure.

These are war crimes breh. I don’t fukk with terrorists at all and what they did was deplorable… but 100k of innocent folk who died without picking up a single gun isn’t it