BREAKING: The Los Angeles Lakers dismissed coach Darvin Ham: Candidates Mike Budenholzer, Kenny Atkinson, and JJ Redikk

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Other teams can offer a better package than that.

That's not enough to make a big deal these days.
Those 1st round picks are probably the most valuable among any team in the NBA simply due to the Lebron/AD duo and their timeline

Probably one of the best things Lakers FO did was hang onto the 1st round pick they could have traded this past year, cause they knew they could wait and add more for a star

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
problem is its a perception that lakers should win right now, in reality they lack the personnel to do so. AD is always hurt and often gets punked by contemporary bigs, and Bron is not in his prime (obviously) anymore. Guys like Dlo and Reaves are sieves on defense and the FO traded away all their defensive guys who werent a complete shytshow offensively.

Perception is irrelevant. from the Owner/GM perspective, Lebron is on the last legs of his career. AD is in his prime. Both are all stars. They are trying to win now. If they weren't trying to win, they would've traded AD and not re-upped with Lebron. But they wanted Lebron in a Laker jersey when he broke the scoring record so I get it.

It was a job I don't think anyone really wanted, thus they hired a coach with no head coaching experience. It took them hiring Phil Jackson and then rehiring Phil Jackson for the Lakers to win under the Shaq/Kobe era's.

Ham is a coach you hire when you have young talent and are rebuilding. Darvin Ham played against Lebron. The Lakers needed a coach with a championship pedigree. He was a Lakers assistant for 3 year directly following Phil Jackson leaving. Lakers weren't contenders. Then he was with the Hawks and part of the championship Bucks team and that's it.

He wasn't really a sought after assistant coach. The Lakers really had no legit options. It is what it is. The Lakers sealed their fate the moment the Drafted Lonzo Ball. Two years prior they simply had bad luck in the lottery.

Drafting D'Angelo Russell was also a huge mistake, and he's actually the main reason why the Lakers weren't contenders.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Those 1st round picks are probably the most valuable among any team in the NBA simply due to the Lebron/AD duo and their timeline

Probably one of the best things Lakers FO did was hang onto the 1st round pick they could have traded this past year, cause they knew they could wait and add more for a star
Ehhh the Giannis Milwaukee to the Pelicans ones are arguably more valuable.

Besides, the Lakers are a legacy franchise and will always eventually have a star player eventually go there thus nullifying those picks. Even Bron/AD/whatever 3rd star they chase, they'll still eventually have cap space once Bron comes off the books.

That logic would work more on someone like a Milwaukee or Cleveland that isn't a major FA hub.

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Ehhh the Giannis Milwaukee to the Pelicans ones are arguably more valuable.

Besides, the Lakers are a legacy franchise and will always eventually have a star player eventually go there thus nullifying those picks. Even Bron/AD/whatever 3rd star they chase, they'll still eventually have cap space once Bron comes off the books.

That logic would work more on someone like a Milwaukee or Cleveland that isn't a major FA hub.
How…. When it’s basically known that the Lakers will be in full rebound mode when those 1st round picks are going to be cashed in

:gucci:

The Lakers haven’t had a big FA signing before Lebron besides Shaq. If Lebron doesn’t opt in Lakers done get cap space like you think. They’d need a sign and trade to get value back

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
How…. When it’s basically known that the Lakers will be in full rebound mode when those 1st round picks are going to be cashed in

:gucci:

The Lakers haven’t had a big FA signing before Lebron besides Shaq. If Lebron doesn’t opt in Lakers done get cap space like you think. They’d need a sign and trade to get value back
I was going obviously speaking in the future and not currently.

There’s always a star player willing to go to LA and that don’t change.

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
I was going obviously speaking in the future and not currently.

There’s always a star player willing to go to LA and that don’t change.
Except there wasn’t a star player willing to come to LA besides Lebron since Shaq.. certain players weren’t even taking meeting with the Lakers

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
That was then. It’s a different day and age.

If we’re also being honest, neither of those guys make the Lakers a legit championship contender.
I mean yeah in the past they had a competent FO, currently they don’t and haven’t since the early 2010’s

I think Mitchell does, Trae doesn’t

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I mean yeah in the past they had a competent FO, currently they don’t and haven’t since the early 2010’s

I think Mitchell does, Trae doesn’t
A Mitch/Dlo backcourt would be food on defense and that’s before you even factor in Bron’s diminished defensive abilities.

A three man tandem these days doesn’t cut it.

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
A Mitch/Dlo backcourt would be food on defense and that’s before you even factor in Bron’s diminished defensive abilities.

A three man tandem these days doesn’t cut it.
DLO is probably opting out of his contract.

Lebron was easily the Lakers 2nd best defender in the playoffs, and for most of the regular season