Cajuns And Creoles

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Again, the post you included cited NO as the largest slave market in the USA....as a port city, I'm going to figure that it literally means largest slave port. It sounds right, and I was going by that assumption in earlier posts.

Sullivan's Island was used as a quarantine station for African captives before they were disembarked at Charleston, the port of entry for over 40% of the estimated 400,000 slaves transported from Africa to the Britain's North American Colonies, making it the largest slave port in North America. It is estimated that nearly half of all African Americans have ancestors who passed through Sullivan's Island.

Charleston was definitely much larger and Baltimore predates NOLA so it was too :yeshrug:

I think the records and logs indicate that the number of Africans brought to 13 colonies/USA was constant throughout the decades. It wasn't until the actual slave trade across the Atlantic was outlawed did the population of AAs increase rapidly through reproduction.

And you're talking less than 1 million slaves brought into America over 250 years of which the vast majority came directly from Africa.

The transportation of Caribbean slaves was not nearly as constant or in number to have the impact to back up your view of migration.

It's a Catholic thing..as opposed to the Protestant system of the United States.

This gets a bit tricky. Kongo was the largest source of slaves next to Senegambia and Catholicism had already taken root in Kongo as well as miscegenation so a lot of slaves coming directly from Africa were already Catholic in faith and mixed race even if they were coming to British or Dutch colonies.

I will look up what you wrote, but I'm not aware of mixed race people having legal rights in the USA. In fact If I recall, the "one drop" rule specifically comes from court ruling which barred a mixed race man from inheritance rights in the USA ......because he was 1/16th African.

This is in the Mid Atlantic:

Berlin writes that Atlantic creoles were among what he called the Charter Generation of slaves in the Chesapeake Colonies, up until the end of the seventeenth century. Through the first 50 years of settlement, lines were fluid between black and white workers; often both worked off passage as indentured servants, and any slaves were less set apart than they were later.[4] The working class lived together, and many white women and black men developed relationships. Many of the new generation of creoles born in the colonies were the children of European indentured servants and bonded or enslaved workers of primarily West African ancestry (some Native Americans were also enslaved, and some Indian slaves were brought to North America from the Caribbean, Central and South America.[5]).

According to the principle of partus sequitur ventrem, incorporated into colonial law in 1662, children born in the colony took the status of the mother; when the mothers were enslaved, the children were born into slavery, regardless of paternity, whether by free Englishmen or enslaved workers. This was a change from English common law, which had asserted that children took the status of the father. Paul Heinegg and other twentieth-century researchers have found that 80% of the free people of color in the Upper South in colonial times were born to white mothers (thus gaining freedom) and African or African-American fathers.[6][7][unreliable source] Some male African slaves were freed in the early years as well, but free mothers were the source of most of the free families of color.

Atlantic Creole - Wikipedia

:yeshrug:

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
Charleston, Savannah and Baltimore all had larger slave ports than NOLA.

And there was not a constant influx of enslaved Africans being brought into America. Unlike in the West Indies, the AA population grew by reproduction.

Once again, if you look at records it will show that most of the enslaved Africans in LA/NOLA were locally born or from Senegambia and Kongo not Benin or Togo like Haiti.

You do realize that the Spanish and Portuguese ran damn near the same system? Its a Latin thing, not a French thing. Placage gave legal rights to mixed race peoples and that stretched across the coast and the Atlantic Creoles were free mixed people who predate Louisiana creoles and they were from the Mid Atlantic.

You know whats funny? I've watched ancestry videos for a lot of Louisiana creoles and I've seen Spanish/Iberian ancestry pop up at a higher volume than French ancestry.

There is a town in South Louisiana called New Iberia.

Lots of

Domingues
Nunes(nunez)
Dartez
Surnames in that part of Acadiana, the formal name for Cajun Country.

They considers themselves Creole, even though the carry Spanish surnames and identify as white. They don't think black Creole are real Creole, and refer to them as "mulattas".

Interesting enough Iberia and St. Martin parishes have a lot of us that carry Haitian surnames.

Baptiste
Narcisse

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
:comeon: ..........:scusthov: This dude again:francis:

:coffee:
I've already given my opinion on this youtuber before
Will watch in a bit...

I knew who this youtuber was before I pushed play. I've ran into his post on various ethnic groups before I finally began to catch his videos before clicking the link. I have nothing against the guy but I stopped clicking on his videos awhile back.

I don't knock his facts per say ..but his perspective gives me pause sometimes.

He's the type to give you reasonably accurate historical data on North Africa then call it "white Africa" or some such. Not saying he's done this but thats the type of thing I wouldn't be surprised to hear come out his mouth(actually it's more omissions than anything that I would expect)

I was kinda close :yeshrug:

:martin:

As I said, I don't fukk wit this guy :hubie:

Youtube dude gets no love from this coli bruh :camby:...but yall gone keep on posting his videos I guess :yeshrug:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
There is a town in South Louisiana called New Iberia.

Lots of

Domingues
Nunes(nunez)
Dartez
Surnames in that part of Acadiana, the formal name for Cajun Country.

They considers themselves Creole, even though the carry Spanish surnames and identify as white. They don't think black Creole are real Creole, and refer to them as "mulattas".

Interesting enough Iberia and St. Martin parishes have a lot of us that carry Haitian surnames.

Baptiste
Narcisse

This is who I watched

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Poiter,

Will continue this tomorrow BUT...by Catholic, I mean the countries of France,Spain,Portugal were Catholic countries. The rules and traditions in those countries regarding slavery,race mixing and inheritance rights,etc were much different than those in Protestant countries and specifically different than how things operated in the United States.

again, thanks for the exchange of information....

latest

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
If any brehs want to experience real black culture in South Louisiana and New Orleans you need to visit during Mardi Gras.

Spend the weekend before Mardi Gras (fat tuesday) in the country, Specifically Lafayette, and St. Martinsville.

Head to NOLA Monday morning for Lundi Gras and hit up waldenberg park in the river for Zulus annual celebration, this is not the parade or the Zulu ball. Parades all night Monday, skip bourbon st. And head uptown.

Mardi Gras day is all about Zulu. Catch the parade, and then walk to Zulu Club on Broad. Pass under the bridge on Claiborne. The Indians gonna be out.

Its a lot to take in, we go hard down here.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
I think what makes Louisiana unique from the other states in the Louisiana purchase and other states that were under French and Spanish colonies, is how much of the french language and Catholicism that Louisiana held onto in comparison to other Southern states.