SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
The differences between Cajuns and Creoles:

Interesting... :ohhh:

Thanks for posting this, by the way.

For many years id run into people from Louisiana and when I said I speak Creole they'd respond that they are also Creole I used to look at the thinking WTF are they trying to say. For years I always assumed that Creole, to Haitians, was our language while Creole, to these LA Americans, seemed to be some sort of culture or ethnic group.
But now looking at the written quotes posted at the 6:38 minute mark and the language translation at the 7:02 mark I see there the languages is pretty much the same. They speak Creole just like Haitians but with the accent from Northern Haitians (Northern Haiti areas like Cap-Haitian and Port-De-Paix and Ouanaminth) where they use word like "I" instead of "Li" thats used in Southern Haiti. Also words like "Zòt" and "Yo" both used in Haitian language depending on what region you are from you use one or the other. The tree sign at the 6:39 mark is verbatim pure Haitian Creole.

@Soundbwoy @LeVraiPapi @Child of Inyanga @Dip
Below are the two images I'm referring to that are pure Haitian kreyòl

Last edited:

hatealot

Banned
Daps
Interesting... :ohhh:

Thanks for posting this, by the way.

For many years id run into people from Louisiana and when I said I speak Creole they'd respond that they are also Creole I used to look at the thinking WTF are they trying to say. For years I always assumed that Creole, to Haitians, was our language while Creole, to these LA Americans, seemed to be some sort of culture or ethnic group.
But now looking at the written quotes posted at the 6:38 minute mark and the language translation at the 7:02 mark I see there the languages is pretty much the same. They speak Creole just like Haitians but with the accent from Northern Haitians (Northern Haiti areas like Cap-Haitian and Port-De-Paix and Ouanaminth) where they use word like "I" instead of "Li" thats used in Southern Haiti. Also words like "Zòt" and "Yo" both used in Haitian language depending on what region you are from you use one or the other. The tree sign at the 6:39 mark is verbatim pure Haitian Creole.

@Soundbwoy @LeVraiPapi @Child of Inyanga @Dip
Below are the two images I'm referring to that are pure Haitian kreyòl

Interesting shyt

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Antillean Creole has a lot in common with haitian creole as well. My pops i from Guadeloupe and they say Je instead of mwen a lot of times. But they are mutually intelligible. Actually learning to speak it from haitian creole because there aren't any programs or softwares out there that teaches Antillean creole.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Antillean Creole has a lot in common with haitian creole as well. My pops i from Guadeloupe and they say Je instead of mwen a lot of times. But they are mutually intelligible. Actually learning to speak it from haitian creole because there aren't any programs or softwares out there that teaches Antillean creole.

Antillais creole and Haitian Creole are the same. Just different accent because theirs has even more French FEEL to it whereas ours is more African FEEL. But there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING dude said in this video that myself, the average Haitian, can't easily comprehend on the very first listen.

And quite honestly if I didnt know he was from Guadeloupe I would have said dude was probably from Northern Haiti because my cousin's husband speak the same way. The main thing I have to remind myself when speaking to Guadeloupeans and Martiniquans are the following:

1. They use the word "NI" where we use "GEN" or "GENYEN" which means "to have"
  2. The way they use the word "KA" can be confusing to Haitians if you are paying attention because when Haitians say "men ka fè yon bagay" we mean we CAN do something whereas if an antillais says that exact same sentence it means they DID something. Different is we use "ka" as short for "kapab" from the French word "capable". But they use "ka" as short for the French term "qui a". See the 0:42 minute mark in the vid you posted where he did exactly what I just mentioned.
  3. When they say "bagay sa" for example they don't drag the last "a" in "sa" whereas Haitians say it as if there is an extra "a" like "saa a"
  4. They say "youn" just like we do but Haitians use both "youn" and "yon" and they are used in different situations whereas antillais use "youn" in every situation
  5. They also use the word "lé" to say "want" whereas Haitians pronounce it "vlé" with with the "v" in front of it. Both are derived from the French word "voulez" which means "want"

I'm still not sure what they mean when they say "djendjen" , tho. :jbhmm: It sounds like ours but when they put it in a sentence it seems to me like it's not the same

Last edited:

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Antillais creole and Haitian Creole are the same. Just different accent because theirs has even more French FEEL to it whereas ours is more African FEEL. But there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING dude said in this video that myself, the average Haitian, can't comprehend.

And quite honestly if I didnt know he was from Guadeloupe I would have said dude was probably from Northern Haiti because my cousin's husband speak the same way. The main thing I have to remind myself when speaking to Guadeloupeans and Martiniquans are the following:

1. They use "NI" where we use "GENYEN" or "GEN"
  2. The way they use "KA" can be confusing to Haitians because when Haitians say "men ka fè yon bagay" we mean we CAN do something whereas if an antillais says it it means they DID something. Different is we use "ka" as short for "kapab" from the French word "capable" but they use "ka" as short for the French term "qui a". See the 0:42 minute mark in the vid you posted
  3. When they say "bagay sa" for example they don't drag the "a" in "sa" whereas Haitians say it as if there is an extra "a" like "sa a"
  4. They say "youn" just like we do but Haitians use both "youn" and "yon" and they are used in different situations

I'm still not sure what they mean when they say "djendjen" , tho. :jbhmm: It sounds like ours but when they put it in a sentence it seems to me like it's not the same

Yeah exactly it's mutually intelligible. I think it's more African based just because of your guy's history. France is still soveirgn over Martinique, Guadloupe, etc

But I'm happy with learning Haitian creole and traditional French. It's a lot of sources out here in Florida to help with creole.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Yeah exactly it's mutually intelligible. I think it's more African based just because of your guy's history. France is still soveirgn over Martinique, Guadloupe, etc

But I'm happy with learning Haitian creole and traditional French. It's a lot of sources out here in Florida to help with creole.
My mom's cousin teaches Haitian Creole at Miami Dade College and FIU. Been doing it for 15 years, now

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
:francis:

Not all creoles are mixed some are black. But I understand where you coming from. There stereotypical view is Whitley from a different world for creoles

I know but thats more phenotype than admixture. I was just telling an Island nikka that creoles don't have a "look" but people fetishize them because of the "french origin" when really Louisiana has some of the most stereotypical American hillbillies and rednecks out there.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
My mom's cousin teaches Haitian Creole at Miami Dade College and FIU. Been doing it for 15 years, now
That's amazing. Can you put me on to some creole movies,shows or youtubers. I need to work more on my listening of the language. I understand the grammar outside of like contractions and have an active vocabulary of 500 words but my listening sucks it takes me like 3 or 4 times to understand someone at times. I've been watching Tele Gien, Le Nouvelliste, and tripotay lakay