NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
August 11, 2015 web edition of "The Sacramento Bee"

Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation prohibiting the use of grand juries in California in cases where police officers use lethal force, a response to distrust of the grand jury process following the deaths of unarmed black men in other states.

Proponents of Senate Bill 227 argued the grand jury process is too secretive and allowed prosecutors to avoid decision-making responsibility in politically charged cases.

“One doesn’t have to be a lawyer to understand why SB 227 makes sense,” the bill’s author, Sen. Holly Mitchell, D-Los Angeles, said in a prepared statement after Brown announced signing the bill Tuesday. “The use of the criminal grand jury process, and the refusal to indict as occurred in Ferguson and other communities of color, has fostered an atmosphere of suspicion that threatens to compromise our justice system.”

Law enforcement groups representing district attorneys and police chiefs opposed the bill. The Democratic governor signed the measure without comment.

Brown also signed Senate Bill 411, clarifying that people can shoot video of police.

“Today, California makes it unequivocal – you have the right to record,” Sen. Ricardo Lara, the bill’s author, said in a prepared statement.

California governor also signs bill clarifying people can take video of police

Read more here: Jerry Brown signs bill banning grand juries in police use-of-force cases

It isn't much but it's a step. WestCoast leads the way to sanity. :blessed:

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
411>>>>>>>>>>227

So indictments/cases will be decided by judges rather than juries?
Oone bias & racist person vs 12? Cops gonna get away with more shyt.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
411>>>>>>>>>>227

So indictments/cases will be decided by judges rather than juries?
Oone bias & racist person vs 12? Cops gonna get away with more shyt.
I can see how you might think that way my brother but I don't think so... Judges and Prosecutors will have to stand by their actions during election time and can't hide behind anonymous juror votes to do their dirty work.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I can see how you might think that way my brother but I don't think so... Judges and Prosecutors will have to stand by their actions during election time and can't hide behind anonymous juror votes to do their dirty work.

Yeah I don't understand the full effect of this bill. So now that you can't use grand juries, does this open the decision to a jury pool or only judges?

Either way, we need to find a way to pass this in all democratic states

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Now this is a real live actual game changer in the battle against police brutality...

And this is the type of shyt that is going to make white people :sadbron:

Honey!:sadbron: Honey look at this :sadbron: The mexicans outnumber us in California now and now they passing a law that says police can be videotaped and that a prosecutor actually has to do his/her job now to get a conviction instead of being able to select a secret jury that nobody knows about:sadbron: It's not fair this isn't the America i know and love :sadbron: