Californians fed up with housing costs and taxes are fleeing state in big numbers

FlimFlam

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My wife’s 90+ year old aunt and uncle are sitting on a 2500 sq ft split level smack dab in the middle of Sunnyvale, 10 minutes from Apple. They paid $60k for it back in the 60’s. They have Asians standing in their driveway weekly offering millions to buy their house from them...

Goddamn, that was even big money back then

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps
Goddamn, that was even big money back then

They were both in education, he was a principal and she was some type of higher up administrator. They made good money back in the day for black folks and made fantastic investments thru life (property). They did shyt right...

Super Future Luther King Jr.

You Deserve It
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rose Town
Shyt is crazy here...I live in San Diego and I looked at getting relocated to Tempe, AZ for the same job same pay.

A comparable house in AZ to what I have was a grand lower a month :wow:

shyt has me really plotting about that lateral move that would feel like a 12K pay increase :blessed:

Literally nothing comparable about living in fuccin Tempe, AZ and SD, CA but I hear you

Average home price in San Diego is like 550....You can see the tightening of the screws everyday, it is becoming more and more divided by class.

shyt 550 is still good! Lmao

Where I'm at in the Bay that's gone get you a single level rat infested 1800sq ft home built in the 1960's

If. You. LUCKY!!!

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Right, but I don't think our median income levels will compare to the Bay Area, at all. I love Bay Area though, my sister lives in Oakland.

Downtown area is just getting nicer and nicer, and furthering a divide, more and more people are pushed out of the city, as traditional middle class neighborhoods undergo a "revitalization".

YamakaSmacker

Banned
Daps
My wife’s 90+ year old aunt and uncle are sitting on a 2500 sq ft split level smack dab in the middle of Sunnyvale, 10 minutes from Apple. They paid $60k for it back in the 60’s. They have Asians standing in their driveway weekly offering millions to buy their house from them...
Do they approach other households with these offers?:mjpls:

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
companies will pay to build campuses for their employees. Dorm-style housing with gyms, malls, etc.

Facebook and Google are both building more affordable housing in Silicon Valley
Emmie Martin | @emmiemartin
8:00 AM ET Mon, 10 July 2017

A rendering for part of Facebook's "Willow Campus" development in Menlo Park, California.

One day, Facebook employees will only have to cross the street to commute to the tech giant's Menlo Park headquarters.

In a blog post on Friday, Facebook announced plans to turn the 56-acre Menlo Science & Technology Park it bought in 2015 into a company town, dubbed the Willow Campus. Located across the street from the company's current campus, it will include a grocery store, pharmacy and shopping center.

"Working with the community, our goal for the Willow Campus is to create an integrated, mixed-use village that will provide much needed services, housing and transit solutions as well as office space," Facebook writes.

Of the 1,500 new housing units the company plans to build, 15 percent will be affordable, priced below the market rate. The village won't be comprised of only Facebook employees, either. Facebook will open up the units to the community at large, Business Insider reports.

Why not just move the HQ to a lower-cost state?

Or start having more employees hired at out-of-state satellite campuses?

I mean, this is tech..shyt can be done from anywhere.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Don't come y'all asses to NYC we got our own shyt to worry about!!!! :birdman: Deal with those fukking property values!!!!

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Why not just move the HQ to a lower-cost state?

Or start having more employees hired at out-of-state satellite campuses?

I mean, this is tech..shyt can be done from anywhere.
google is a cornerstone of the tech industry here, they're one of the critical companies that kicked off the second tech boom, they don't need to leave or create out-of state campuses (which they already have). as for other companies, the issue is the VC money is still here, there's a reason that even with tech hubs popping up in places like Austin, San Diego, DMV, Pittsburg, even NY's tech scene - the growth and success of the companies don't rival that of those out here. The money that's funding tech is out here, the people who have strong track records in tech (think those who found million/billion dollar success in the first boom or early in this second wave) all also stayed out here, these people become critical to the success of new startups, they become advisors, investors and introduce founders to other investors/VC's. if the funding were to spread out, tech might grow more equitably in more states/metros and ease the crunch in the bay.

my girl has a biotech startup in chicago and is out here 4-6 times a year trying to raise money, it's much easier to just move here and have round the clock, ongoing opportunities for networking and funding when trying to kick your business off.

Cacs R Us

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Cybertron
Race to the bottom. No one should be happy about Cali folks leaving en masse to go elsewhere. All that's doing is being one of the things driving costs up in other urban areas since their money allows them to outbid easily. This along with foreign investors ready and willing to buy up property is the reason the housing markets in most urban cities is out of control and a bubble ready to burst again.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
google is a cornerstone of the tech industry here, they're one of the critical companies that kicked off the second tech boom, they don't need to leave or create out-of state campuses (which they already have). as for other companies, the issue is the VC money is still here, there's a reason that even with tech hubs popping up in places like Austin, San Diego, DMV, Pittsburg, even NY's tech scene - the growth and success of the companies don't rival that of those out here. The money that's funding tech is out here, the people who have strong track records in tech (think those who found million/billion dollar success in the first boom or early in this second wave) all also stayed out here, these people become critical to the success of new startups, they become advisors, investors and introduce founders to other investors/VC's. if the funding were to spread out, tech might grow more equitably in more states/metros and ease the crunch in the bay.

my girl has a biotech startup in chicago and is out here 4-6 times a year trying to raise money, it's much easier to just move here and have round the clock, ongoing opportunities for networking and funding when trying to kick your business off.
Damn...

It's sad, man...It's like SF is being punished by its own success.

It just sounds like the entire Bay area is heading toward unsustainable levels of income and housing disparity.

Anyway, perhaps you and I can discuss the finer details of this matter the next time I am in the Bay Area? Perhaps whilst seal watching at Fisherman's Wharf...staring lovingly at the Golden Gate while gently holding hands?

:ld: