Can a music video without a storyline be just as good as a music video with a storyline

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
It would definitely elevate the video but it’s not like the video is bad by itself

Like have you in your regular life with your girl and then fade you out
Then have your perspective sitting for a meal at home then shyt turns to prison food

shyt like that

Fade you from waiting for the bus to waiting on the chow line or standing in front of the judge

Daps
Reppin
new haven ct
It would definitely elevate the video but it’s not like the video is bad by itself

Like have you in your regular life with your girl and then fade you out
Then have your perspective sitting for a meal at home then shyt turns to prison food

shyt like that

Fade you from waiting for the bus to waiting on the chow line or standing in front of the judge
So it is ur opinion that music videos with storylines reigns supreme over those without

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
There are levels to music videos.

Assuming the music is dope.

I'd say the overall theme and imagery matching with the lyrics is more important than coming up with an entire story line or conceptual short film for the video.

Then you have videos without any theme at all, where an artist just performs the song in a few different locations and that's it. Those videos are cool but heavily depend on the edit to keep a viewers attention.

But even then, it's hard to keep a video like that interesting if you're only in a few locations and there isn't really anything you are trying to convey visually outside of just having a music video.

Just going off of this concept... let's see which videos are better from some recent drops within the last week:

Storyline Concepts

Theme and Imagery/B-Roll to connect with lyrics

No storyline just shooting a video to have a video

The question I ask about a visual and the song is... does it make my feel the song more? Does it make the song "better" or does it take away from the record. I've seen plenty of videos where I've heard the song first and like it, but then when I see the video I'm like, they could have kept that.

Each category can have FIRE visuals honestly, it's all about what the artist/director of the video are trying to get across and achieve.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
So it is ur opinion that music videos with storylines reigns supreme over those without

Not always but the fact that there’s already a semblance of one it would seem like you could make it more cinematic

The song is already thematic and the scenes are consistent with a “story”

But not all songs and videos call for that so nothing is superior

Daps
Reppin
new haven ct
There are levels to music videos.

Assuming the music is dope.

I'd say the overall theme and imagery matching with the lyrics is more important than coming up with an entire story line or conceptual short film for the video.

Then you have videos without any theme at all, where an artist just performs the song in a few different locations and that's it. Those videos are cool but heavily depend on the edit to keep a viewers attention.

But even then, it's had to keep a video like that interesting if you're only in a few locations and there isn't really anything you are trying to convey visually outside of just having a music video.

Just going off of this concept... let's see which videos are better from some recent drops within the last week:

Storyline Concepts

Theme and Imagery/B-Roll to connect with lyrics

No storyline just shooting a video to have a video

The question I ask about a visual and the song is... does it make my feel the song more? Does it make the song "better" or does it take away from the record. I've seen plenty of videos where I've heard the song first and like it, but then when I see the video I'm like, they could have kept that.

Each category can have FIRE visuals honestly, it's all about what the artist/director of the video are trying to get across and achieve.

So being that the video underneath the title has no storyline is it still visually pleasing by the examples u set forth or does it miss the mark in ur opinion

Daps
Reppin
new haven ct
Not always but the fact that there’s already a semblance of one it would seem like you could make it more cinematic

The song is already thematic and the scenes are consistent with a “story”

But not all songs and videos call for that so nothing is superior
Appreciate ur candid feedback