Can a music video without a storyline be just as good as a music video with a storyline

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Appreciate that, regarding the topic tho do u feel like, like in this case a music video without a storyline is a missed opportunity 2 make the video reach its full potential

Don't think regular folk pay more attention than needed to the videos storyline, never heard in my life (back in the day at least when videos really mattered) fans discussing much about the actual storyline of the classic videos, dope visuals stand out and that's pretty much it.

Now if you're talking about more of a filmmaker perspective and the product that you put out then of course a nice storyline enhances the video and show how much work was put into it.

Overall I don't think it matters all that much, video to me is to showcase the music itself, that needs to be on point, storyline would be something secondary.

But props again for your work, can tell you're a real one from the music the video and the way you carry yourself in the coli streets, hope your time will be rewarded sooner or later :salute:

Daps
Reppin
new haven ct
Don't think regular folk pay more attention than needed to the videos storyline, never heard in my life (back in the day at least when videos really mattered) fans discussing much about the actual storyline of the classic videos, dope visuals stand out and that's pretty much it.

Now if you're talking about more of a filmmaker perspective and the product that you put out then of course a nice storyline enhances the video and show how much work was put into it.

Overall I don't think it matters all that much, video to me is to showcase the music itself, that needs to be on point, storyline would be something secondary.

But props again for your work, can tell you're a real one from the music the video and the way you carry yourself in the coli streets, hope your time will be rewarded sooner or later :salute:
Well put & I appreciate the feedback

chitownpimp

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So kinda like the video below the title
well in a sense.. but this video in particular just looks like a bunch of stock filters were thrown on typical performance shots. not exactly fitting for the song which is dope. in general you want the video to be as good as the song or even better.

in my opinion, for a video to be truly striking the shots need to be more abstract. more dynamic lighting. and while you aren't telling a story, you do want there to be a underlying theme to the imagery and for everything to be consistent. One good shot is better than 10 ok shots.

one way to consider coming up with a dope video is to think of what would look cool as a single photograph and then bring the photo to life. animations are a good idea but shouldn't be attempted if it looks cheap and doesnt serve the song. same with titles and filters.

if you cut the performance shots way down and focus on b roll I think it would be more compelling.

Daps
Reppin
new haven ct
well in a sense.. but this video in particular just looks like a bunch of stock filters were thrown on typical performance shots. not exactly fitting for the song which is dope. in general you want the video to be as good as the song or even better.

in my opinion, for a video to be truly striking the shots need to be more abstract. more dynamic lighting. and while you aren't telling a story, you do want there to be a underlying theme to the imagery and for everything to be consistent. One good shot is better than 10 ok shots.

one way to consider coming up with a dope video is to think of what would look cool as a single photograph and then bring the photo to life. animations are a good idea but shouldn't be attempted if it looks cheap and doesnt serve the song. same with titles and filters.

if you cut the performance shots way down and focus on b roll I think it would be more compelling.
Appreciate u sharing & will definitely focus on the latter cause I’m currently editing a new video I should be done with by the end of this month or top of the next. Side bar it sounds like ur side gig is cinematography in real life