Capital One buys Discover Financial for 35$ billion

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
I’m not fan of Capital One they seem predatory.
exactly, this is what the brehs here saying they can't get a cli are missing. 6 figs 6 certs isn't their target market, it's secured/subprime/students they can feast off, which are the strong parts of discover's portfolio too. cap one just wanted to buy up the competition, having their own processing network so chase is comparatively hamstrung by their marriage to visa/mc is just a bonus.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Now let’s see if they open more premium venture X lounges so I can upgrade my cap 1 card and take advantage of the bennies

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Interested to see whats next
There probably is nothing good that happens for consumers when 1 company absorbs a competitor and competition shrinks.

Maybe sometimes there are benefits, but I'd bet that most of the time....it's bad.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Were they employing Chatham residents though? Honest question because I don’t know. The people I know in the area, none of them or people they knew worked there. So to me it just seemed like a place people who didn’t live there drove to work.

when they announced the center opening, they were giving preferential hiring treatment for folks within a 5 mile radius. so that would include chatham and a number of other south side neighborhoods.

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
exactly, this is what the brehs here saying they can't get a cli are missing. 6 figs 6 certs isn't their target market, it's secured/subprime/students they can feast off, which are the strong parts of discover's portfolio too. cap one just wanted to buy up the competition, having their own processing network so chase is comparatively hamstrung by their marriage to visa/mc is just a bonus.
Yeeeea I remember my college boyfriend saying capital one was predatory.
They were quietly acquiring small banks around the country for a while.

This right here is big news

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
There probably is nothing good that happens for consumers when 1 company absorbs a competitor and competition shrinks.

Maybe sometimes there are benefits, but I'd bet that most of the time....it's bad.

Discover isnt really that big of a factor in the grand scheme of things. I’d argue we’ve always been in a Duopoly of Visa/MC as Amex/Discover while “alternatives” arent accepted everywhere