Cardio day routine help

Beerus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
PC BRO #LWO
Yeah so i'm doing a push/pull/legs routine for working out over 5 days a week(do push pull twice with legs once) and I throw in cardio on 1 day after I've done all 3 in a week(then do push pull on the following days).

The thing i do is that I run on a treadmil
Warm up for like 5 mins jogging.
Then I sprint the fastest I can run for like 30s and Walk for 60s. I repeat this at least 10 times. is that enough for 1 day a week to improve my cardio respiratory endurance?
Oh yeah as well I play basketball on sundays(supposed to be my rest day but yeah..) for like a good 20-30 mins.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Kind have to judge that yourself with how you feel week to week and making increases in intensity and duration.

You could also decrease the time in between sets on certain exercises which will elevate your HR.

Beerus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
PC BRO #LWO
Kind have to judge that yourself with how you feel week to week and making increases in intensity and duration.

You could also decrease the time in between sets on certain exercises which will elevate your HR.
Well I played ball full court last week, and I felt great running up and down the court cardio wise. But yeah I'm probably goin to raise the intensity starting next week.(been running a 11.5 speed for 30s)

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Well I played ball full court last week, and I felt great running up and down the court cardio wise. But yeah I'm probably goin to raise the intensity starting next week.(been running a 11.5 speed for 30s)
11.5!?

:wow:

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC

I could probably run that fast, but that shyt just seems to be mad dangerous to do on a treadmill. Seems a like a small stumble or slip/catch from the tread and you could break your neck at that speed. I max out at around 10 if I'm in the mood to run that fast.

Beerus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
PC BRO #LWO
I could probably run that fast, but that shyt just seems to be mad dangerous to do on a treadmill. Seems a like a small stumble or slip/catch from the tread and you could break your neck at that speed. I max out at around 10 if I'm in the mood to run that fast.
Yeah I did 12 today and it went right so... like Bruce Lee Said
There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.”
if I die or get my neck broken well its finna happen :manny:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I love sprints and 11.5 is impressive!!! The most I've gotten up to was 8 mph with my treadmill at home and I was spent after each sprint.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
OP...yes, that seems to me like enough to improve your cardio. Your cardio will improve just from lifting weights, so the one day doing HIIT plus the basketball on Sunday will be pretty solid.

You aren't gonna have the cardio of a marathon runner, but you will be in great cardiovascular health

Whats up with so many people going crazy over 11.5 in this thread :patrice:

Maybe I overestimate what is considered normal

11.5 isn't that crazy....it is pretty high for a treadmill only due to safety issues, but the speed itself isn't that high. I do 11 for 1 minute on, 2 minutes jog, and feel pretty safe. Thats only a 5 1/2 minute mile pace. Not even a true sprint. 13-14 would be closer to most peoples real sprint.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
OP...yes, that seems to me like enough to improve your cardio. Your cardio will improve just from lifting weights, so the one day doing HIIT plus the basketball on Sunday will be pretty solid.

You aren't gonna have the cardio of a marathon runner, but you will be in great cardiovascular health

Whats up with so many people going crazy over 11.5 in this thread :patrice:

Maybe I overestimate what is considered normal

11.5 isn't that crazy....it is pretty high for a treadmill only due to safety issues, but the speed itself isn't that high. I do 11 for 1 minute on, 2 minutes jog, and feel pretty safe. Thats only a 5 1/2 minute mile pace. Not even a true sprint. 13-14 would be closer to most peoples real sprint.
Look down on the unathletic brehs

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Look down on the unathletic brehs
:sadcam:
Nah, I seriously may just overestimate what is normal. It aint about judging.

Its not that I thought that 11.5 wasn't good....it is really good. I will only do that speed for 30 seconds, I wont even go up that high for my normal minute (safety issues mainly). I just thought it was weird that like 3 people reacted to it like it was abnormal to do that on a treadmill. I didn't realize it was :manny:

True HIIT isn't just moving the speed up and down....it is an all out sprint. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people who do HIIT on a treadmill may not actually be doing it right. Heart rate should get up to 180-190 during the sprints depending on your age....I still think a heart rate monitor is as much as a necessity as workout shoes in order to maximize your efficiency.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps

Its not that I thought that 11.5 wasn't good....it is really good. I will only do that speed for 30 seconds, I wont even go up that high for my normal minute (safety issues mainly). I just thought it was weird that like 3 people reacted to it like it was abnormal to do that on a treadmill. I didn't realize it was :manny:

True HIIT isn't just moving the speed up and down....it is an all out sprint. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people who do HIIT on a treadmill may not actually be doing it right. Heart rate should get up to 180-190 during the sprints depending on your age....I still think a heart rate monitor is as much as a necessity as workout shoes in order to maximize your efficiency.

It was jokes.

I can't remember the speed the last time I did intervals. My perception is off be cause I have been doing 7's and 8's at 7.5 incline for 2 mins

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC

I've been doing HIIT for years but I might fall into this category.:patrice:

Like I do my runs at about 8.7-9.2 But I know those aren't sprint speeds for me because I can run at 10 for extended minutes. But I'm doing my shyt from in-between 45mins - 1 Hour, so I'm somewhat pacing myself even though I'm still working hard as hell. My normal HIIT workout covers 6 miles, 7 miles every Saturday and 8 miles if I'm feeling froggy.

My runs are for 2 or 3 minutes and I walk for 1 minute.

I'm doing this shyt everyday which is hard in itself, so I'm definitely not trying to work any harder than what I'm doing. I used to do intervals with runs & jogs, but that shyt got to be mentally draining and discouraging over time, so the walking really allows me to stay consistent.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I've been doing HIIT for years but I might fall into this category.:patrice:

Like I do my runs at about 8.7-9.2 But I know those aren't sprint speeds for me because I can run at 10 for extended minutes. But I'm doing my shyt from in-between 45mins - 1 Hour, so I'm somewhat pacing myself even though I'm still working hard as hell. My normal HIIT workout covers 6 miles, 7 miles every Saturday and 8 miles if I'm feeling froggy.

My runs are for 2 or 3 minutes and I walk for 1 minute.

I'm doing this shyt everyday which is hard in itself, so I'm definitely not trying to work any harder than what I'm doing. I used to do intervals with runs & jogs, but that shyt got to be mentally draining and discouraging over time, so the walking really allows me to stay consistent.

Even without taking your speed into consideration, I can already tell you aren't doing HIIT just based on the fact that you are doing it for an hour. If you were truly getting your heart rate up into the proper zones, your would be very exhausted after only 5 or so minute-long sprints or 7-10 30 second sprints. 20 minutes of true HIIT will wear out even a highly conditioned athlete.

Thats not to say that what you are doing is wrong, it just is not HIIT. You are likely keeping in a 150-170 BPM heart rate zone which is the aerobic zone. Not ideal for people desiring to gain muscle mass, but great for people who desire cardiovascular endurance.

Your "in-exercise" calorie burn is probably very high, but your "post-exercise" calorie burn is probably low. The benefits of HIIT for fat loss are in the post-exercise oxygen consumption to repair damaged muscles (look up EPOC) which burns more calories during sedentary periods even though you burn less calories during your shorter workout.

True HIIT on the treadmill is not impossible, it is just much harder to do compared to open-ground sprinting