Career Day was a f#cking joke

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Remember you got to dress up professionally for that one day. Your teacher told you to have three important career goal questions for the guest speaker. The guest speaker would then paint this perfect picture of how easy it would be to get a job, once you got a college degree. :wtb:

Never once mentioning the importance of networking, who your parents are, and how the economy (well they couldn't really foresee that or could they) would ultimately affect your chance at getting a job.

Oh if I could go back a decade and be 18 again :sadcam:

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Yeah college is a borderline scam nowadays..there are only a few majors that'll get you a job or internship guaranteed upon graduation: anything science related, computer science, accounting and engineering. everything else you probably gonna have to get lucky with connections..even if you have a decent resume for a graduate and gpa...

i was convinced to pursue sports management since im a wizard at it and i liked it most, but they didnt tell me that the only jobs available would be internships at minor league baseball franchises :wtb:

it doesnt help that i had to relocate from florida back to connecticut, where the sports market is a farce and networking is everything (and my parents haven't networked much in their lives)..the only legit job offers ive gotten are from the insurance industry and in sales, neither of which im trying to make a career out of. :ehh:

anyway, essentially im at the same point in my career as i would have been if i didnt graduate college. i could have gotten either of those jobs coming out of high school, and by now i would have saved 5 years of tuition money and had 5 years of work experience additionally. lauces

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
I'm 21 right now and attended college once; the whole time I was there it felt like a scam and like they didn't give a fukk as long as I attended. I went for accounting, then some shyt happened.

Is college still worth it? Should I go back? I wanted to be a writer but I know that is not a profitable careers, that wouldn't matter except I have a two year old son. I went to school for accounting but then decided I don't want to sit at a desk inputting data for my entire life.

Career day though, man it's crazy how throughout school they shove college down your throat like it's the end all be all to life. It reminds me of that scene in "The Vampires Assistant" where the dad is shouting "College, Job, Family" over and over.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
I think accounting is worth it. Think about it, every business needs accountants, no matter what type of business they are.

Yeah no doubt that's why I went for that. The shyt is just boring and doesn't excite me at all. I also hate being forced to sit at a desk for eight, seeing as how I'm doing that now

Red Maverick II

Special A Class Hunter
Daps
Only go back to school if you can find a company to pay for your education.

Otherwise, you better learn how to hustle and start a small business or website.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Remember you got to dress up professionally for that one day. Your teacher told you to have three important career goal questions for the guest speaker. The guest speaker would then paint this perfect picture of how easy it would be to get a job, once you got a college degree. :wtb:

Never once mentioning the importance of skin color.

fixed.

Red Maverick II

Special A Class Hunter
Daps
I REALLY wish someone had introduced college as an OPPORTUNITY and not a GUARANTEE to a career.

I woulda started a business, and been networking like crazy in those 4 years.

:wow:

Commander in Chiefin

Passing blunts and bills $$$
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Green Party
*Thought this was about career day in elementary school*

My dad never wanted to participate in them :noah: Then again, being a CPA isn't an exciting job

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
We had to take a career test that would predict what we might be good at in the future.

fukkin' 9 out of 10 people got Funeral Director

Even the teacher was :dry: