Carlton is tired of being called Carlton and people asking him to dance

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Well actors have choices, right? You do choose your roles. You can find different people to work with or create your own platform. This happens more now than ever.
But it has always been a thing.

How many B-level actors had to go the indie route and make something with John Cassavetes before landing a more mainstream role? You know what I mean?

I'm not sure I can accept an actor resigning himself to "well, this is what I'm being offered. It's this or nothing."

Typecasting is a thing. But ability and skill tends to come out on top over time. I refuse to believe that Alfonso Ribeiro has Denzel Washington or Daniel Day-Lewis inside him but sadly just wasn't given the opportunity. These days you've got iPhones and Youtube. The outlets are there for Alfonso.
I agree it's easier now, but again, how many actors have we seen, do great in one show, and can't get shyt else off the ground... We see it all the time. Hell we see actors leave shows early, claiming they don't want to be locked into this character, and they still can't do an ounce of shyt.. Some even having to return back to the show, cause they can't get any work..

It's hard out there if you ain't a star. Hell Alfonso had another show a year BEFORE Fresh Prince went off, that lasted almost as long.. They still call him Carlton

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
I think this is more of a problem for television actors than movie actors. Television actors tend to play the same role for YEARS and when the show ends, they tend to get really typecast or you don't see them in anything else.

Movie actors can have an iconic role but they've been in so much that it's easier to not get typecast.

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
I know it’s annoying but he might as well come to terms that that’s gonna happen. At least it means his character was memorable.

:kanyeshrug:

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
(They) don't dance no mo!

tenor.gif

Getting typecast must be crazy because you want it to be another way but to them its only one way. Thats why its vital to define yourself, both in real life and in the business of living.