Chance The Rapper outchea turning down $5 and $10 million label advances

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
This information would shake up the music industry. Independent artists can eat, but there's a certain ceiling (I'd say Tech N9ne is the peak of independent music). Chance has broken that ceiling because he has all the resources the major artists do. I wonder what the key is to getting these resources.
He doesn't have the money and he still has to gamble with his own money.

This is the thing people forget, Chance's crew is pretty big. To get such a big crew of smart and creative people to work for free in hopes that shyt might take off is not very easy. Luckily it only took him two mixtapes to start seeing major returns. It's also not easy to get some of the best indie cats in your city like The Cool kids to fukk with you and then a hipster favorites like Flying Lotus to fukk with you, get the heaviest manager in music, then get Gambino and Kanye West to love you.

So while he's broken a ceiling, this requires very hard work from a large group of people who strive for the same thing, luck and music that's exceptionally dope.

It's very interesting that the coli A&Rs don't know the difference between labels, publicists, management etc. Cats seem to think that a label is everything baked into one. They also seem to think that labels do business for young black dudes half a decade without asking for a return :mjlol:

Off-brand flabby and sick Coli people are just mad that people are bubbling for years in circles they are unfamiliar with, so it's got to be the illuminatis work. We are talking about a dude whose last album went under the name of his best friend, who plays the trumpet and it was free. Cats think a label would bankroll such things for new artists :snoop:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
any time someone gets criticized yall always pull the "bbbut u a c00n that hates to see a black man succeed" bullshyt

chance is literally insulting nikkas intelligence with this fake independent bullshyt but youre a crab/c00n if u criticize it:mjgrin:

hard to take an advance from a label when youre already signed to one

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
any time someone gets criticized yall always pull the "bbbut u a c00n that hates to see a black man succeed" bullshyt

chance is literally insulting nikkas intelligence with this fake independent bullshyt but youre a crab/c00n if u criticize it:mjgrin:

It's because you aren't providing any proof, you seemingly don't want to understand how the music business works either you'd rather just say "yea this is the work of cacs at labels, not those 20+ young individuals in Chicago who have been doing this thing since their mid teens and growing organically".

You'd rather believe that the music industry is the same as it was in 2005. You'd rather believe that labels pay a lot of money for free music, you'd rather believe that labels don't distribute singles for the first 5 years. You'd rather believe that cacs, not the black man who goes back with Obama since before the fame created that connection. You don't want to believe that 3 independent artists have won Best Album at the grammy's the past 10 years.

Or how Esperanza Spalding and Bon Iver won Best New Artist this decade, people celebrated indies winning. When Chance does, ehh it must've been them damn cacs.

So to assume that cats are c00ns is cause they won't listen to reason, even if they testify at the Supreme Court ya'll will still be on that shyt.
It could also be low self-esteem, you don't believe that you can achieve shyt without a massa, so no one who looks like you should or can either.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
It's because you aren't providing any proof, you seemingly don't want to understand how the music business works either you'd rather just say "yea this is the work of cacs at labels, not those 2+ young individuals in Chicago who have been doing this thing since their mid teens and growing organically".

You'd rather believe that the music industry is the same as it was in 2005. You'd rather believe that labels pay a lot of money for free music, you'd rather believe that labels don't distribute singles for the first 50 years. You'd rather believe that cacs, not the black man who goes back with Obama since before the fame created that connection. You don't want to believe that 3 independent artists have won Best Album at the grammy's the past 10 years.

Or how Esperanza Spalding and Bon Iver won Best New Artist this decade, people celebrated indies winning. When Chance does, ehh it must've been them damn cacs.

So to assume that cats are c00ns is cause they won't listen to reason, even if they testify at the Supreme Court ya'll will still be on that shyt.
It could also be low self-esteem, you don't believe that you can achieve shyt without a massa, so no one who looks like you should or can either.
:mjlol:nikkas been providing proof about him being a plant, there was nothing grassroots about his comeup no matter how hard u try to force yourself to believe it

Carr

All Star
Verified
Daps
Reppin
Carol City

exactly. and its anti-encouragement for us true indies.

JordanwiththeWiz

you mad..you big mad..I’m happy..leave me alone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duh

Idk why this nikka still fronting like he ain't signed to Apple Music and got management deal with Roc Nation

I been hearing all this no label shyt since the Grammy starting to make me think y'all Coli nikkas was right about him being a plant

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Duh

Idk why this nikka still fronting like he ain't signed to Apple Music and got management deal with Roc Nation

I been hearing all this no label shyt since the Grammy starting to make me think y'all Coli nikkas was right about him being a plant
He has a deal with Apple, according to himself. And he's managed by Cara Lewis who was at WME then CAA, according to himself.

The only thing he's ever said is that he doesn't have a record deal with a major label nor an indie. The rest you are just inventing to further justify your hate.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:nikkas been providing proof about him being a plant, there was nothing grassroots about his comeup no matter how hard u try to force yourself to believe it
I've not seen evidence.

The evidence I see is like "Exhibit 1: He's on Jimmy Fallon, only major labels artists are on Jimmy Fallon". Googles a million independent artists on Fallon. :snoop:

"Exhibit 2: He won a grammy" Googles a million independent artists winning Grammy's, also googles that he had an average review of like 93/100 and a major buzz.

"Exhibit 3: He did an ad", since when do labels do ads? That's a management thing, he just happens to have one of the heaviest managers.

"Exhibit 4: He knows Obama", labels are hooking people who move zero units with presidents now, his dad knows Obama as Barack.

Last edited:

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Yup an advance is a loan...ppl act like getting a big advance is a W.....its really not especially when its attached to one of them 360 assraping deals.:scusthov:

Dude is obviously foliage but if you can avoid that trap....you can actually win

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
It doesn't have to be c00nery, it can also be pure incompetence of old and uneducated people. As we know, the Coli is filled with :flabbynsick:.
They can't understand the power of the internet, for them there's still gate keepers to releasing your music to the public.

They still think The Source has more power than Pitchfork, Complex or The Fader. They still think MTV has more power than Youtube, record stores have more power than Spotify, Apple, Dat Piff etc. A label deal is like winning the lottery to fame and success :ahh: .

It's still weird that they believe that major labels would do all this for a group of black people, with no proven hit-abilities, who make gospel rap and on without asking for a return. Let that nikka release albums under fake names, for free. Let than nikka shoot videos for singles without distribution. I mean labels love throwing around money in 2017.

JordanwiththeWiz

you mad..you big mad..I’m happy..leave me alone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
He has a deal with Apple, according to himself. And he's managed by Cara Lewis who was at WME then CAA, according to himself.

The only thing he's ever said is that he doesn't have a record deal with a major label nor an indie. The rest you are just inventing to further justify your hate.

Yeah ok

Looking like a proud father at the Grammys
C4hyEZ9W8AAcr6l.jpg

Coloring Book had commercial all over including during the NBA playoffs and finals but yeah keep believing that independent no label backing me gimmick

All that is make him seem more real to people so they want to see him win kinda how Kendrick use to play that card early in his career until he exposed that been signed before he dropped Overly Dedicated

Don't get me wrong the gimmick and can be used to make a lot of money I ain't knocking his hustle or fooling people