Cheyney, the oldest HBCU is in trouble ,update:Retained Accreditation

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
OK. I put up a link to a long article about Sorrel in the 6 cert forum..and I half jokingly titled the thread "The Joe Clark of HBCUs" The title wasn't off by much. Here's an excerpt from the article about Mr. Sorrell & a clip from the Hollywoood film about Mr. Clark .

==
When he took over Paul Quinn, Sorrell says, the school had 30 days of cash left. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools was preparing to put the school on probation that summer. (He'd have to sue SACS to keep the school from closing.)

Enrollment had fallen below 600, and in Sorrell's first week on campus, it was about to fall further. There'd been a fight at school, and 11 students were suspended. They came before Sorrell, in this very office, to make their cases for staying. It was a chance to keep enrollment steady while he righted the ship.

"Listen," he recalls telling them. "Let me apologize to you. If you have been led to believe that you are what a college junior should look like, you have been deceived."

The boys showed up late to the meetings, Sorrell says. Most were wearing wrinkled clothes, like they'd just gotten out of bed. Some didn't bother to shower or comb their hair. The appeals documents themselves were horrific, full of bad grammar and misspelled words.

"And while I didn't know you, you were at my institution and I accept responsibility for that. But you are not what this institution is going to produce."

He kicked them all out.

==

Fair....Eaaaaaaaaaaast Siiiiii-iiiiiiiiide.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Cheyney keeps accreditation

excerpt of article

Cheyney University is safe.

The Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) granted the nation's oldest Black college a reprieve on Friday. The school, located in Delaware County, about 45 minutes outside of Philadelphia, will face a one-year extension for demonstrating compliance.

The commission released a public disclosure statement explaining the accreditation status and compliance extension saying "because the institution has demonstrated significant progress towards the resolution of its non-compliance issues, is making a good faith effort to remedy existing deficiencies, and a reasonable expectation exists that such deficiencies will be remedied within the period of the extension."

The school was initially accredited by the MSCHE back in 1951 and was last affirmed accreditation in 2014. The college was put on probation in 2015 by the commission because of a lack of evidence that the school was in compliance with school resources and some issues with leadership and governance.

"We're pleased that the Middle States Commission recognized the effort that was put forth by Cheyney university staff, faculty, employees, etc. and the external public that assisted us in this process to arrive at this outcome," said Cheyney University President Aaron Walton.

Last edited:

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang...Bleedin Green
I used to live near Cheyney..and for the first 6 months- I didnt even know who they were and where they were...they seems to do a bad job with recruiting and promotion. My brother is a college recruiter and he said they have no cash (guess thats why they cant recruit or promote)

Jemmy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There’s another hiccup. Cheyney financial report was just given to the accreditation board and it’s not good. They kept their accreditation, but they may review it again

That’s the problem with some HBCU’s they have a reputation of bad money management. I’m sure they get endowments and do a horrible job of investing with them.

Jemmy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I used to live near Cheyney..and for the first 6 months- I didnt even know who they were and where they were...they seems to do a bad job with recruiting and promotion. My brother is a college recruiter and he said they have no cash (guess thats why they cant recruit or promote)

A lot of them get money and are just really cheap. Grambling football players had to go on strike for better practice facilities.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That’s the problem with some HBCU’s they have a reputation of bad money management. I’m sure they get endowments and do a horrible job of investing with them.
That's only a part of it.
They tend to have poorer students, many of whom are first-generation, and they're also less-likely to have wealthy alumni.
Off-rip, their endowments will be smaller.
Only HBCU that will touch a billion dollars in endowment is Howard University, and that's if their law school doesn't get gutted.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The next time you watch "get on the bus", there's a line about money management and Hbcus.
The Black republican character is written to be a clown in the film.....but he shyts on Fisk....terribly.
When we watched the film on vhs the first time, a dude from Fisk was there. We asked him about the reference after the film and he changed the subject.

Jemmy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They tend to have poorer students, many of whom are first-generation, and they're also less-likely to have wealthy alumni.
Only HBCU that will touch a billion dollars in endowment is Howard University, and that's if their law school doesn't get gutted.

Yeah word. I like what’s going on at Tuskegee they seem to be doing the right thing. HBCUs seems to have been given a hard time recently by their local politicians. They’ve been trying to get the public ones in North Carolina to change their name.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps

I think Howard law school is safe. I heard they killed it with their bar passage rates.

Jemmy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The next time you watch "get on the bus", there's a line about money management and Hbcus.
The Black republican character is written to be a clown in the film.....but he shyts on Fisk....terribly.
When we watched the film on vhs the first time, a dude from Fisk was there. We asked him about the reference after the film and he changed the subject.

Of course he did. A lot of these churches are the ones that own HBCUs and hire the wrong people. If the church had better advisors on their schools they’d probably be in better shape.