Cheyney, the oldest HBCU is in trouble ,update:Retained Accreditation

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The HBCUs and under funded schools in general have a unique problem. They need strong competent leadership more than the larger schools do, but they absolutely cannot recruit and afford to hire the right people.

The stakes are higher for these schools and the shortcomings of their leaders are magnified.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
That’s the problem with some HBCU’s they have a reputation of bad money management. I’m sure they get endowments and do a horrible job of investing with them.
I'd argue that's the problem with every HBCU.

It's a multi-layered issue though, because all schools are struggling to find money. We fall for the pretty roses watching big D1 schools who are flush in cash when that's simply not the reality everywhere else.

But shyt, scandal after muhfukkn scandal of admin stealing funds from HBCUs...shyt is tiring

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Most HBCUs aren't able exploit sports like the D1 crooks
EddieRobinson3.jpg

Indeed, once all the D-1 programs began recruiting Black athletes, the best athletes went where the boosters, bowl games, tv contracts, better facilities were.
Once the iconic coaches passed away, it was impossible for HBCUs to recruit blue chip student athletes.

HBCUs didn't adapt.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
HBCUs are like countries in Africa....most people can name around 10.....
Howard and Morehouse are like Ghana and Nigeria

Cheyney is like Lesotho

The school that the man rescued in the article is like Sao Tome

"I'm Michael Jackson and you're Tito"
carter.jpg

hehehehehheheh

*They used to have pictures of all the homecoming queens of HBCUs in Ebony Magazine each year.....so I'm aware of most of them

Black media is dead, brehs
:francis:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
No offense to anyone, but Cheney has always been considered 13th grade as far as I can remember.

My mom, who was born and raised in North Philly graduated HS in the 60s and she says even back then it had a bad rep

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
News
New chancellor: Pa.’s 14 state universities should start operating more like a system
by Susan Snyder, Updated: January 16, 2019

ZE6TPAFNRJA55MAF2V2QJ7PRXQ.jpg

HANDOUT

• Email

Toting a backpack and sometimes riding a bike, Daniel Greenstein spent some of the fall visiting Pennsylvania’s 14 state-owned universities, which he was hired last year to oversee.

He talked to students. He talked to faculty. He talked to staff. And on Wednesday, the new chancellor unveiled his vision: The schools must start operating more like a system, consolidate business and administrative operations to save precious dollars, and open courses on all campuses to all students.

Related stories
Those moves and others, Greenstein said, are critical to the long-term survival of the system, beleaguered for nearly a decade by dropping enrollment, less state revenue, and ever-tightening finances.

“I’m not talking about making modest adjustments to our enterprise,” Greenstein, 58, said in an address to the State System of Higher Education board of governors, faculty and student leaders, university presidents, and campus supporters. “We won’t tweak our way out of this.”

Total student enrollment for the 14 state universities is at about 98,000. The largest school in the system is West Chester University with 17,552 students; the smallest is Cheyney University with 469.

Just how consolidation would occur and how much money it would save are among the details that need to be worked out in coming months through meetings with faculty and staff, Greenstein said. He hopes to have a plan ready in six to nine months.

His framework also takes into account reports from several groups of faculty and staff that have been looking at redesigning aspects of the system since it received a 2017 report from a consultant recommending changes.

With the support of the universities, Greenstein would like to open up every course on every campus to all students, no matter which university they are enrolled in. That would mean that students who enrolled at one school would receive a catalog with course offerings on all the campuses.

It also means a system of universities that have largely competed with one another would begin sharing faculty, staff, and students.

Much of the cross-campus course-taking likely would happen through distance learning, because the schools are spread across the state. But some of the schools, like West Chester and Cheyney — the system’s historically black university — aren’t far from one another, and students might be able to attend class in person.

Some students in certain programs already take classes at universities other than the one they are enrolled at, but Greenstein said in an interview before his address, “If we’re really responsive to the needs of our students, let’s make our full depth [of courses] available to everyone.”

Other universities in the system are Bloomsburg, California, Clarion, East Stroudsburg, Edinboro, Indiana, Kutztown, Lock Haven, Mansfield, Millersville, Shippensburg, and Slippery Rock.

Greenstein, who earns $380,000 annually, came to the system from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, where he had been a senior adviser. Before that, the University of Pennsylvania graduate served as a vice provost in the University of California system, which is more than twice the size of Pennsylvania’s.

In his address, he also proposed a greater focus on adult education, student retention, and partnerships with private enterprise.

“We must explore a whole new generation of public-private partnerships in virtually every aspect of our enterprise, and ramp up and professionalize our fund-raising efforts, building whole new revenue streams,” Greenstein said.

He also said the system must work with private and state-related universities and community colleges to find solutions to the struggle with enrollment that higher education is experiencing, given the drop in the number of high school graduates.

“The limits of what we can accomplish are the limits of our imagination,” he sa

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
“We must explore a whole new generation of public-private partnerships in virtually every aspect of our enterprise, and ramp up and professionalize our fund-raising efforts, building whole new revenue streams,” Greenstein said.

public-private partnerships worry me. Always seem to end up benefiting the private more than the public.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
UPDATE DEC 2019

Cheyney University of Pennsylvania Will Retain its Accreditation
November 29, 2019

cheyney.png
The Middle States Commission on Higher Education announced that historically Black Cheyney University of Pennsylvania will retain its status as an accredited educational institution. The commission is requiring the university to file further reports concerning the reduction of debt and the sustainability of its finances.

In June the university announced that it has balanced its budget, a key factor in the accreditation process. A balanced budget is crucial to Cheyney’s future. If the university can show a balanced budget for the next three years, the state of Pennsylvania will forgive $30 million of the school’s $43 million in debt owed to the state’s higher education system. This reduction in debt would bolster the bottom line of the university.

James Sunser, vice chair of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, said in a statement that “as the non-compliance centered on the financial stability of the institution, the pledge by Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf to eliminate the institution’s debt to the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education and the Office of the Chancellor greatly improved the institution’s financial outlook.”

Cheyney’s financial problems stem in part to a sharp drop in enrollments. In 2010, there were nearly 1,600 students enrolled at Cheyney University. By 2014, the number of students enrolled had dropped to just over 1,000. In the spring 2019 semester, there were just 415 students on campus. This semester enrollment grew to 618 students. With the announcement that the university will retain its accreditation, officials at Cheyney hope that enrollments will climb to 800 next year and 1,000 the year after.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
I didn't know Pennsylvanias had HBCUs. I thought those schools were only in the South up to Maryland.

0b54095ed85a40317dc6e2feba39fdbb.jpg

Some maps show NY, IL, and Michigan and other states :dahell: with HBCUs...but mehhhhhhh :patrice:....not to be elitist with this stuff, but those weren't designed as "black schools".....they may be "predominantly" black now, but they aren't "historically" black.

Maybe Im being exclusive and an a$$hole about that, but I feel like it dilutes the meaning of "historical-ly". Granted someone could counter argue with look at all the non-black students at HBCUs now, and even a few majority non-black......but still nahhhh:patrice: ...I get a lil weird when they start throwing up states that never had historical black colleges, they just over time became "predominantly" black. I could be wrong, I admit I don't know the history of these other schools.

Last edited: