City of Philadelphia will pay parents to drive kids to school due to bus driver shortage

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
Someone started a thread on this former teacher.

I Quit Teaching: Out of control students get ZERO consequences w/ PBIS, Restorative Circles & BIST​

"6 yr old brought gun to school and shot his teacher in Newport News. This isn’t normal behavior. Our country is demonic."​

"6-year-old boy who shot his Virginia teacher said "I shot that b**** dead,"​

DonB90

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
My wife has been teaching for 7 years now and won’t give it up. She’s working on her masters to become a guidance counselor to get out of the classroom, but honestly the kids aren’t the worst part it’s the sorry ass parents that make it miserable.
Much respect to your wife and to any of y'all the got to deal with these parents and their undisciplined children

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I may be mistaken but I read somewhere last week that the national bus driver salary is $42,000. $42,000 to the person responsible for the person responsible to not drive your kids off of a cliff.

There’s a public bus driver shortage too but I couldn’t imagine driving some bad ass kids all day
Better off putting the CDL to use being a truck driver

The Radiant One

Superstar
Daps
and make bad ass kids parents pay the price. Do your job if yo kid acting the fool.

Also how bout having some of the non violent criminals drive school bus to cut their time :pachaha: (Get creative)

It’s hard a lot of people think they work but they are often on disability or refuse to work

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Bootstrappers tell people those jobs are "stepping stones" and no real adult should work them and that those jobs shouldn't pay well, then act surprised when people are not taking those jobs trash salaries.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
We have a bus driver shortage in the district I work with. School starts at 7:15, but because of the driver shortage, buses have two loads, and the first load gets dropped off at 6:45 :unimpressed:

So instead of having to be at work at 7, I have to be there at 6:30 :beli:
Districts are going to go back to hybrid model in the future. Grades or classes will alternate days in class.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The first "rich" breh I knew had a business doing this, yellow busses driving kids to school, he was clearing almost a quarter million a year

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Pay isn’t the reason. $45K+benefits+potential OT (field trips, sports, after school, weather related issues) is decent in a city with Philly cost of living. If they raised it to $65K people still wouldn’t do it. They only work like 6 hours early morning and afternoon nothing mid-day.

Oakland can’t get 911 dispatchers it’s a 6 figure position starting.

No college degree needed, no work experience needed for these jobs.

People just aren’t stepping up. There’s dudes with no motion broke who won’t apply to these jobs.
I don’t think you realize the mental health issues that come along with being a 911 dispatcher or EMT’s and how jobs don’t give people the resources to handle it.

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Our district is good right now.... but I think they raised pay rates for retention.
That’s surprising but good to hear.

In our school district middle/ high school kids have to rely on public transit. So in addition to driver shortages causing there to be gaps in service, making students late to school, they also have to travel through Baltimore.. many times catching multiple buses while being exposed to lord knows what along the way

:mjcry:

Last edited:

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get a yearly reimbursement check for taking my kids to school I think it’s $500
That’s pretty decent!
Better off putting the CDL to use being a truck driver
yeaaa.. being an urban bus driver is extremely rough.

I was reading in an epidemiology journal some time back that bus drivers have the highest prevalence of hypertension of any occupation in the world.