Classic Mafioso Rap Albums.

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
Okay so I decided to do a rankings list on the sub genre and where each classic ranks in my list.. After you go over mines let's discuss how do you rank these albums? What's your favorite among them? Are there others you would've included?

#1.
26961093a9884a32c319d69bbc76f02053c8bb62
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx/Chef Raekwon - Although not the first Mafioso album to come out of the East Coast (Kool G Rap is the originator) this set the tone of mid 90s east coast hip-hop with many artists following with success and many with failure but back on topic.. After Rae & crew dropped their classic debut "Enter The 36 Chambers" (arguably the greatest Hip-Hop album ever) and a string of group solo albums (Tical, Return to the 36 Chambers) where the Chef dropped by and left our mouths watery but he then decided it was his time to come up on the solo scene to make a name for himself and boy did he. Bringing along his partner in crime the Ghostface Killah they together tell vivid crime stories and drug trade offs over what is arguably The RZA's greatest set of beats he laces every track with layered soundscapes and brilliant samples to make this IMO THE GREATEST MAFIOSO RAP ALBUM EVER. {Standout tracks: Knowledge God, Criminology, Incarcerated Scarfaces, Rainy Dayz, Glaciers Of Ice, Verbal Intercourse, Spot Rusherz & North Star (Jewels)}.

#2.
c2d14d499f166b1265413127daf27790630b620b
Hell On Earth/Mobb Deep - Now I know some may be wondering (some maybe not) on why did I place this dark gritty album on my list of greatest mafioso albums.. Well around the time of it's release word on the street and from the mobb camp themselves.. Was that this is a MAFIOSO themed record and it shows on certain tracks especially the title track where Prodigy spits one of his possibly greatest verse ever (but as most of us know he has plenty of verses that can be considered his greatest). But man the production Havoc put out in the mid 90s is remarkable sometimes I wonder how can a man be so invested in dark soundscapes makes you wonder about his mental state... But then again as he quotes in the closing track Apostle's Warning "Get your shyt together, and your mind straight" so maybe I'm crazy? Without a question this album is a CLASSIC {Standout Tracks: Extortion, More Trife Life, Man Down, Can't Get Enough Of It, G.O.D. Pt. III, Get Delt With, Hell On Earth (Front Lines), Still Shinin', Apostle's Warning}.

#3.
eededa0838fef55ca39267470c838bbd.1000x1000x1.jpg

Live And Let Die/Kool G Rap - Damn Kool G Rap discography doesn't get enough credit especially since he's the founding father of this sub genre coming on the scene as apart of The Legendary Juice Crew along with DJ Polo they've together released some of the most influential albums in Hip-Hop (Road To The Riches, Wanted: Dead Or Alive) but this right here is their BEST. On this album the production is slightly on a west coast tip from Sir Jinx (Ice Cube protégé) and he does great on giving this project a very mafioso themed setting, lyrical wise this is one of G Rap's finest moments as he takes us through the streets of New York full of crime stories and even catches up with some friends along the way as Big Daddy Kane, Bushwick Bill, Scarface & Ice Cube all drop great verses unfortunately G Rap steals the show. No question about it this is ONE OF THE BEST MAFIOSO ALBUMS and THE MOST INFLUENTIAL. {Standout Tracks: On The Run, Live and Let Die, Crime Pays, #1 With A Bullet, Ill Street Blues, Go For Your Guns, Two To The Head}.

#4.
13e8c687e539572b0d79f0fc8cf1018e.1000x1000x1.jpg

4,5,6/Kool G Rap - After a three year hiatus G Rap returned with his FIRST SOLO album after three with his old partner DJ Polo. So in '95 while the West Coast was still on the smooth G-funk tip the east coast was getting darker, grittier & grimy sonically so Kool took it upon him and got a team of producers to get the job done.. Now alot of critics didn't care for the production as many calling it "low budget" but I actually love it just about every track is dark and grimy and Rap's lyrics are on point he even gave Nas a chance to shine on Fast Life and sadly he stole the show from G Rap. Although short I love it especially on dark cold winter nights. CLASSIC IMO {Standout Tracks: 4,5,6, It's A Shame, Take 'Em To War, Executioner Style, Blowin' Up In The World, Fast Life}.

#5.

It Was Written/Nas - Alright I have a mixed opinion on this album.. Let me explain, I understand it's not on the strength of his CLASSIC DEBUT "ILLMATIC" and I can respect that and accept it as just another great solo in his discography.. However at times when listening to this album I'm kinda lost on where Nas was going with this yes it's mafioso without a doubt but sonically certain tracks are pure hip-hop (DJ Premier, Havoc etc) but on others it sounds like he was going for a more mainstream sound, which I can understand (since we all know Illmatic didn't sell well at first) so he hooked up with Dr. Dre and he does OK with his beats not his best but certainly not his worst. As for the lyrics again Nas pretty much holds it down with some introspective tracks (The Message, I Gave You Power, Black Girl Lost, If I Ruled The World) and he even shares the mic with some of his Queen's natives as Prodigy, AZ, Foxy Brown, Cormega all drop gems even the beautiful Lauyrn Hill sings the chorus on the closing track. A CLASSIC ALBUM in it's own right and obviously one of the best of the Mafioso sub genre. {Standout Tracks: The Message, I Gave You Power, Watch Dem nikkas, Take It In Blood, Affirmative Action, Suspect, If I Ruled The World}.

#6.
7e2c4ab6bc2a86eb4e715ffd646cc96f55afe535

Life After Death/Biggie - Oh Biggie you was taken from us way too early without a question one of the most skilled rappers that Hip-Hop has ever seen.. As you blessed us with an instant classic in '94 (Ready To Die) we all knew without a doubt you were a force to be reckoned with giving us track after track of storytelling and introspective lessons it was time for you to show us what Life After Death meant to you personally.. And I have to say you left us alot thoughts.. Maybe TOO MUCH as we all know Double Albums can sometimes be overwhelming especially if both disks don't live up to each other and that's unfortunately the case here but don't misinterpret me now I still believe this is a classic album within the Mafioso genre and in Biggie's discography. Disc 1 like many other double albums are usually the best and that is true here.. From the moment disc 1 begins with an intro we're taken into a situation where "Somebody's Got To Die" and it ends with five gunshots (sounds like a subliminal diss to you know who!) but then we the mood is lightened when we hit the party on "Hypnotize" which is obviously a radio track but then we're back into the hip-hop world of things featuring a very good DJ Premier produced "Kick In The Door" where Biggie throws shots at everyone from Jeru the Damaja, Nas, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Tupac and even DJ Premier! Now Disc 1 has other moments of greatness (I Love The Dough ft. Jay-Z, nikkas Bleed, I Got A story To Tell). Okay so now to disc 2.. Just like the others this side lacks the consistency of the 1st side BUT there's some pretty good cuts here such as Notorious Thugs, Miss You, Another (I personally liked Lil Kim's appearance), Going Back To Cali, and more. Bottom line is YES this is a Classic when looking at the Mafioso genre however in Biggie's catalog give me Ready To Die! {Standout Tracks: Disc 1: Somebody's Got To Die, Hypnotize, Kick In The Door, I Love The Dough, nikkas Bleed, I Got A Story To Tell... Disc 2: Notorious Thugs, Miss You, Another, Going Back To Cali, Ten Crack Commandments, Sky's The Limit, My Downfall, Long Kiss Goodnight}.

#7.
4f1108631fbe8bd5e0ce6af9047ee02ab8d35749

Doe Or Die/AZ - Remember when AZ wowed us with his verse on "Life's a bytch"? I remember and word on the street was "when is dude gonna release his own solo?!?" Well he did one year after he appeared on Illmatic he dropped "Doe Or Die" to successful AND lukewarm acclaim & here's why... See from a lyrical standpoint AZ still had it but production wise it was slightly inconsistent and bland I believe Pete Rock should've produced more of it but personally I thought it was good for the most part.. Anyways this is one of the best the genre had to offer if I had to rate this I'd give his lyrical performance a 7/10 and beats 6/10. {Standout Tracks: Uncut Raw, Gimmie Your's, Ho Happy Jackie, Rather Unique, Sugar Hill (remix also), Mo Money, Mo Murder, Your World Don't Stop}.

#8.
c347081c7afabbcba96aea0847886344.758x738x1.jpg
Roots Of Evil/Kool G Rap - Shocked huh? Ah another G Rap adventure and a pretty fine one at that. Obviously this album is more influenced by the movie Scarface (Peep the cover), I personally think this is his most CINEMATIC album and his lyrics I believe on this is possibly an upgrade from his previous album (4,5,6). Most times when his discography is spoken about this is dismissed maybe it's the production which is not gritty like his last but more lush and grimy throughout. Lyrically again he kills it especially on "A Thugs Love Story (Chapter I, II, III)" and even features a young Papoose. Not much to say about this but I think it's one of the best mafioso album but also underrated and forgotten. {Standout Tracks: Mobsta's , Let The Games Begin A Thugs Love Story, Da Bosses Lady}.

#9.
2ab6f5307ef6ac3dc8ff963bc6435102.1000x1000x1.jpg

Reasonable Doubt/Jay-Z - Yes I know what you're thinking.. "How the hell he doesn't have Reasonable Doubt towards the top of this list?!?!"... Well I'm going to be honest with you I'm not a big Jay-Z fan but that doesn't mean I'm on the "Fu¢k Jay-Z" bandwagon I think he's pretty good but he's not my top lyricist I feel he's too mainstream and bouncy / jiggy however I actually liked his debut. I've heard some people say that this is the GREATEST MAFIOSO album ever but personally NO it's not even close IMO IDK maybe it's his name that catapulted his debut into the claim of being THE BEST in sub genre but I don't see that. Okay so I have to say the Premier cuts are classic and the Mary J. feature is great as well BUT Biggie's feature IMO could've been better from a lyrical and production standpoint "Brooklyn's Finest" beat is just too bouncy the difference between "I Love The Dough" another cut between the two is that the beat was just better and Angela Winbush's vocals made it even better maybe because that track's intent wasn't to be a radio cut whereas Brooklyn's Finest was intended to. But don't think I'm shytting on this album because there's others great songs that caught my attention. Of course it's a classic in the genre just not one I'm fond of. {Standout Tracks: Can't Knock The Hustle, Brooklyn's Finest (although I didn't like it), Dead Presidents II (CLASSIC), Feelin' It, D'Evils, Friend or Foe, Bring It Own}.

#10. Wanted: Dead Or Alive.
R-1050333-1188203771.jpeg.jpg

ajnapoleon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Royal flush got to be there

RD got to be higher but that's just me

Lake unreleased is amazing also

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
The term Mafiaso Album is The CORNIEST shyt EVER. THOSE ALBUMS WERE NEVER REFERED TO AS MAFIASO ALBUMS IN THE ERA THEY CAME OUT.