Classics Discussion: 2Pac & Kanye West

Which of these 2Pac and Kanye West albums are classic?

• 2Pacalypse Now: YES

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • 2Pacalypse Now: NO

Votes: 73 62.4%
  • Strictly 4 My nikkaZ: YES

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Strictly 4 My nikkaZ: NO

Votes: 71 60.7%
  • Me Against the World: YES

Votes: 98 83.8%
  • Me Against the World: NO

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • All Eyez on Me: YES

Votes: 91 77.8%
  • All Eyez on Me: NO

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • The Don Killuminati - 7 Day Theory: YES

Votes: 91 77.8%
  • The Don Killuminati - 7 Day Theory: NO

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • The College Dropout: YES

Votes: 75 64.1%
  • The College Dropout: NO

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Late Registration: YES

Votes: 68 58.1%
  • Late Registration: NO

Votes: 40 34.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
Ok so some of y'all will be familiar with a project I'm deciding to run. I made this thread: The Official 'Classic Album' Discussion Thread, trying to reach a conclusion as to what defines a classic album. After much discussion, I am running with this definition personally, so take it as you will when you consider your classic albums. But this definition in particular was most agreed upon.

Classic: 1. An album considered by consensus of the core hip hop community to be of the highest quality (doesn't have to be perfect or flawless, just an album that the consensus deems the shyt).
2. Assuming that condition 1 is met, is this an album that has stood the test of time amongst the core hip hop community? Is that an album still held in high regard, still referenced at least ten years after its release? By a consensus of the hip hop community?

Props to @mobbinfms for the definition and also for his help generally in helping me with ideas to create these threads.

So I'll be going through one artist per day, and I will list out all their discography or close to all of it until the year 2005, as we decided that an album needs at least 10 years of existence before it can be called a classic or not.

-----------------------------

The second classic thread I made didn't get as much attention as the first one, and unfortunately I only got 1/3 of the votes I did on the previous one. The MORE votes I get, the more accurate we can consider the results to do.

I think to help bring attention, I'm gonna create a hashtag (again props to mobbinfms for the idea) and I urge you guys to click on the tag and click on the option to watch the tag.

Here it is: #coliclassics

----------------

Today we got a good one on our hands. Tupac Shakur and Kanye West! Get voting!

kanyetupac.jpg

I will be making a POLL. For each album I will present a YES or NO option so if you think that particular album is a classic, you click 'yes' on the poll for THAT album and vice-versa. The acceptance rate for an album to be deemed a CERTIFIED classic is 80%.

If you don't think an album is a classic, DO NOT LEAVE THE POLL BLANK. You vote NO for that album instead so at least we register your vote.

I will NOT count any comments in the thread as votes, you must use the poll. The comments section should be used for discussion only.

Tagging some mods:

@FreshAIG @That Singer Guy... @hustlemania @houston911 @SoulController

Last edited:

SHAQAVELLI

We Are Penn State
Daps
Reppin
PA
All Eyez on Me doesn't have the quality. Making it a double album hurt it imo in terms of that, so it rules it out for me as a classic album, although it certainly has influence and impact and relevance.
Its impact and influence and replayability of its best songs all these years later ... that makes it a classic to me.

It's one of those records that any report, publication, book, documentary, whatever ... that examines rap culture ... HAS to mention AEOM.

Sure, you could trim some fat off it. But the 16-18 best songs are some of Pac's finest work. Because the quality tracks are of *such* a high quality, I won't penalize him for the filler.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Its impact and influence and replayability of its best songs all these years later ... that makes it a classic to me.

Sure, you could trim some fat off it. But the 16-18 best songs are some of Pac's finest work. Because the quality tracks are of *such* a high quality, I won't penalize him for the filler.

I'm penalising for filler tbh but that's me personally. I won't hold a grudge against anyone who calls AEOM a classic.

The best songs are really up there you're right about that. I just think the only double album to ever pull off classic status because of absolutely minimal filler is Wu-Tang Forever. That could be bias but that was an exceptional album.

arel

lately ive been seeing girls wearing football kits
Daps
All Eyez on Me doesn't have the quality. Making it a double album hurt it imo in terms of that, so it rules it out for me as a classic album, although it certainly has influence and impact and relevance.
Is assessment of quality a mean median or mode based assessment? And why?

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Is assessment of quality a mean median or mode based assessment? And why?

you wot m8?

I assess quality based on how good I feel the album is in terms of songs, and within the songs the lyrics and production, and how it comes together as an ALBUM and minimal filler. I feel the ratio of good:bad is too close to even (it's obviously not even, there's more good than bad) for my liking.

For me personally, I won't rate anything a classic if the quality isn't there. That's the first stage of acceptance, then I take the factors of relevance or impact or whatever into account. If it passes that stage too, it's a classic. I feel the other two Pac albums are more classic.

arel

lately ive been seeing girls wearing football kits
Daps
you wot m8?

So if I assume that the quality of an album is at least approximately in line with the average quality of the songs on the album (give or take), then what sort of average are we talking:

mean
median
mode

?

I assume most ppl would say mean but I wonder if they can satisfactorily explain why the other averages are less valid?

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
comparing the goat to that lame Kanye :mjlol: I should neg you for that :francis:

you are the biggest moron I've encountered thus far congrats

I'm not comparing them, I'm just fitting them into the thread for poll purposes as Pac has 5 albums and Ye has 2. Are you this dumb?

Also Wu-Tang Forever is far superior to AEOM. Better song writing, less filler, more consistent production, better MC's. Stop.