Classics Discussion: Eric B. & Rakim, Rakim & Black Star

Which of these Eric B. & Rakim, Rakim & Black Star albums are classic?

• Paid in Full: YES

Votes: 47 94.0%
  • Paid in Full: NO

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Follow the Leader: YES

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Follow the Leader: NO

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em: YES

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em: NO

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Don't Sweat the Technique: YES

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Don't Sweat the Technique: NO

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • The 18th Letter: YES

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • The 18th Letter: NO

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • The Master: YES

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • The Master: NO

Votes: 38 76.0%
  • Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star: YES

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star: NO

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IAmListenin'

Rookie
Daps
i hear you. paid in full is an album that any music listener should hear, and my definition of a classic

I had to have my computer repaired, so I missed the classic albums threads when they went up, but I have a story about this. I had a professor in college I talked to a lot after class, and he asked me questions about hip-hop since I always bumped it on my walkman, and I gave him a copy of Paid in Full to introduce him to hip-hop. Next time I saw him, he told me he really enjoyed Rakim's smooth, melodic voice and the way he rhymed, and that whetted his interest for more. After that, I gave him more stuff to listen to. I've made copies of PIF to give to other people who'd never listened to hip-hop before and have always gotten positive responses, and have used it to put people on to Rakim who did listen to rap, but had never listened to him before. They were surprised to find out that they had actually heard him before but just didn't know it at the time, be it from someone using his rhymes or a vocal sample.